Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I don't believe that for a minute, or do I since it's VM?

Nah, VM don't like their equipment to be on different firmware. There's also upcoming extra functionality for the SH3's that will necessitate newer firmware.

SH3 are important to VM because they can auto-balance signal levels (meaning a lot less technician visits), and they can channel bond a lot more channels. That's why they are handing them out like candy.

Associate
i wondered why they offered a free upgrade too 200mb was previously on 100mb for £34, but the upgrade had to include a new sh3 to replace my superhub 1.

Soldato
Just got upgraded to Vivid350 today. SH3 in modem mode. Looks like I have the updated firmware too...

1a14ad12a1d836062a793b0cb78d6fc74980a55f-28-03-2018.png

Soldato
Just been offered

"3 options for broadband only, £27 for vivid 50, £32 for vivid 100 or £37 for Vivid 200. All options are Fibre to premises connection so rapid, stable speeds.These are currently all discounted by £5 per month. In addition to this I will give you a bill credit of £50 with a free installation. There’s a activation fee of £20 added to your first bill."

Quite tempted as my zen connection has been unusable due to congestion for a week although they are going to do work on the 4th April to try and sort that.

Thinking virgin has just been installed here so should be very fast and no congestion yet

Soldato
Virgin went live for my address today, so obviously I immediately looked at Vivid350. Price seems fine to me, and while I obviously don't *need* that speed, if I got anything less I'd always feel like I was missing out!

However, I'm being told by some with Vivid350 that there are issues currently with high ping spikes and super slow web page loads every once in a while. Something about the chip in the kit they give you?

Is this accurate, before I star tralling back through the thread?

Permabanned
Virgin went live for my address today, so obviously I immediately looked at Vivid350. Price seems fine to me, and while I obviously don't *need* that speed, if I got anything less I'd always feel like I was missing out!

However, I'm being told by some with Vivid350 that there are issues currently with high ping spikes and super slow web page loads every once in a while. Something about the chip in the kit they give you?

Is this accurate, before I star tralling back through the thread?

Semi accurate, there are some issues unless you are lucky to get the latest firmware. You are unlikely to notice the issues in everyday usage though, mostly affects online gaming to some extent.

Latest firmware seems to be rolling out, lots of us have it, and its fine. :)

Associate
Just been offered

"3 options for broadband only, £27 for vivid 50, £32 for vivid 100 or £37 for Vivid 200. All options are Fibre to premises connection so rapid, stable speeds.These are currently all discounted by £5 per month. In addition to this I will give you a bill credit of £50 with a free installation. There’s a activation fee of £20 added to your first bill."

Quite tempted as my zen connection has been unusable due to congestion for a week although they are going to do work on the 4th April to try and sort that.

Thinking virgin has just been installed here so should be very fast and no congestion yet

£32 for vivid 100 is actually a bad deal
if you go with their phone+tv+100mb is currently at £29
if you want the £50 credit with free installation just use a referral code
i am more than happy to provide mine:)

Soldato
Ive seen the comments about issues but I've never had any problems

Same here, well Ive had a few occasions of lag on Sea of Thieves but I think that was the game servers, If you go on the VM forums gaming support area anyone who posts an issue, the first response you get is that the HUB 3 is at fault, i find it quite funny, there is no denying that the HUB 3 has issues but some people on there seem to have it stuck in their head that if you have a gaming issue its 100% the HUB 3 at fault.

Soldato
Just signed up for VIVID 350 + Phone & basic TV for £39. Have I been had? I managed to get out of my BT contract early and they offered me my Infinity 2 package for £36 but for £3 more if I can't perceive the difference in ping/network quality, I might stay with them and ditch BT for a year.

Lately my BT TBB Quality Monitor hasn't been as good as it used to be. Still low pings, but bigger spikes without heavy usage.

Soldato
Just signed up for VIVID 350 + Phone & basic TV for £39. Have I been had? I managed to get out of my BT contract early and they offered me my Infinity 2 package for £36 but for £3 more if I can't perceive the difference in ping/network quality, I might stay with them and ditch BT for a year.

Lately my BT TBB Quality Monitor hasn't been as good as it used to be. Still low pings, but bigger spikes without heavy usage.
Good deal, I pay 44 for the same.

Soldato
Quick question guys, I’m trying to setup my Apple TV DNS settings so I can access an American app, will changing my DNS settings on my SH3 affect anything else on the network?

Soldato
iv put my superhub 2ac to use too now. got rid of gigabit switch i had and put the superhub 2ac in its place to act as a switch and also give me 5ghz wifi too. so decent roaming now and its helped get mode devices off the 2.4ghz band.

anyone else looking to do the same all you got to do is turn off the firewall and turn off dhcp server and assign a static ip to it.

Soldato
Is there anyway to know before ordering what the congestion is like in your area?

I really want to switch to VM as BT FTTC are taking the absolute mickey @ £180 ish for 3 months & the speed keeps dropping due to all the new flats being built in my area. I have gone from 80 Down 20 Up to 56 Down 20 Up the price has gone up £40 in the last year alone its excessive for way less speed & service! BT say its due to contention ratio but still managed to raise their prices & despite twice moving me onto another port in the exchange its no different & ever since a neighbour (who has since moved away!) got BT its dropped to just above the minimum allowed before BT will fix for free (otherwise they want £200).

The thing which bothers me about VM is I have heard nightmare stories of people in London switching to them then finding its unuseable due to an over subscribed local exchange. My only choices are VM or stick with BT no-one else is offering any decent alternatives in my area right now (West London). I have tried googling for this but it does not seem to be publically available info!

Back
Top Bottom