Asus AI Suite has locked me out of PC! No USB

Associate
Hey guys,

This is my first post on OC as I'm usually just lurking but I really need some help on this.

I installed ASUS AI Suite 3 today on my machine but when I went to restart, my keyboard and mouse stopped working.

Having looked around, it seems that Windows 10 doesn't play nice with a USB feature in the software.

That's all great and all. I'll just uninstall it (didn't want the stupid software anyway), but the problem is that I ONLY HAVE USB to connect my keyboard and mouse to. There's no older ps/2 connections on my new mobo (ASUS STRIX z370-I).

My keyboard and mouse work fine in ASUS BIOS but as soon as windows loads I have no input at all.

I've tried everything I can think of to get to Windows Safe Mode so that I can uninstall the software but i'm having no luck.

I can get to the F1 setup screen but this only goes into the ASUS BIOS. Once I exit BIOS it just takes me straight to Windows login where I have no inputs again.

This is a real pain in the arse and I'm starting to panic a little so any input or help would be fantastic.

Rig specs below;

mobo - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I
OS - WINDOWS 10 (1709 update)
BIOS Version 0606

CPU - 8700k
GPU - EVGA 1080ti
Boot Drive - samsung evo 250gb nvme
Keyboard - Razer BW (usb)
Mouse - Razer NAGA (usb)

Software Installed - ASUS AI Suite 3

Thanks in advance

N

Man of Honour
Safe mode - disable Asus AI, reboot. Then remove it in normal mode. Fwiw it doesn' like being removed, I stupidly installed it with the x399 prime and when I changed back to the Taichi it caused me nothing but issues.

Ended up manually stripping it from the registry myself. You can get to win 10 safe mode by manually forcing a reboot when the load flag comes up.

Man of Honour
You can force it on Windows 10 by hard resetting it as the system starts to load basically the second that flag comes up smash the reset button and it should offer some options next boot.

Man of Honour
If that doesn' work restart and boot using recovery media. Get into the recovery command prompt and type this command.

Code:
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

Man of Honour
or this, keep slapping escape on start, then you have a boot menu, hit f11 and your into recovery mode. Just tested it on one of my windows 10 machines. Works here.

Man of Honour
probably usb 3 related, take the keyboard and mouse of of the blue usb ports into the black ones? fix usb3 drivers and then back into the usb3 ports?

Associate
OP
Nothing mate! It looks like every USB is dead the second windows loads in. It's strange that I can't even get into recovery mode prior to that though?

This ASUS Suite has really ***** up my day!

Man of Honour
Nothing mate! It looks like every USB is dead the second windows loads in. It's strange that I can't even get into recovery mode prior to that though?

This ASUS Suite has really ***** up my day!

In the bios is there an option to enable / disable legacy usb support? Could give that a bash.

Associate
OP
No change Vince :(

I can't believe a mobo manufacturer would sell a board with usb only inputs and then release software on a major platform that totally disables them!!

I tried to start a thread on ASUS forums but I have to wait 24 hours to be able to post anything (because spam).

I honestly can't see many options to try now short of fresh install. Wait a pain in the d1ck!

Soldato
I had similar issue 2 times, sometime back in 2016 on old ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard but I did not had ASUS AI Suite installed and also a few months ago on AORUS Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard. Mouse was connected to USB port and Microsoft Internet Keyboard was connected to PS/2 port on both motherboards, the issue occurred when I browsed Edge or Chrome then suddenly the mouse cursor vanished from screen and mouse did not moved at all so I thought PC was froze but thankfully keyboard worked fine. Tried restarted PC and lights in mouse wheel gone off when it reached Windows 10 lockscreen, tried plugged in other USB ports and still had same issue, also tried plugged in USB memory stick and it did not detected. I restarted PC into UEFI and USB memory stick was detected fine so I logged in Windows to launched PowerShell to ran SFC /scannow and DISM repair, it detected Windows files corrupted but it would not able to repair successful. So nothing worked so I had to reinstalled Windows 10 then USB mouse finally worked and able to move about. :)

You don't have to do fresh install Windows 10, simple reinstall Windows 10 should fix it like I did if you want to keep all the programs and files.

Back
Top Bottom