• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Associate
not sure the lack of competition is more to blame. the increase in price is across the board affecting both AMD and NVIDIA, we're it solely happening on the NVIDIA side i'd agree - but it's clearly not.

not sure what you're telling me here. of course some people will just have to pony up the ££ if they want to finish their build. that's their decision though. personally if I was in the market to build a new pc now I simply wouldn't. purely on the gpu pricing. I can shop around and get a decent enough pricing on ram that's not over the rrp. can't do that with the gpu market.

of course peoples words are open to interpretation. I'm only asking you what it is in their wording/phrasing that, for you, identifies them as just a 'moaner' rather than a genuinely concerned potential buyer?
How can you say ram is at rrp, it's still double what it was 12-18 months ago, or is it ok for ram to increase its rrp but gpus have to stay the same price as release day?

Soldato
How can you say ram is at rrp, it's still double what it was 12-18 months ago, or is it ok for ram to increase its rrp but gpus have to stay the same price as release day?
ram has always been a volatile product (no pun intended) so upsurges and subsequent dips in pricing is nothing new. if the chip fabrication plants were to increase output then prices will come down sharply for ram. I'm not so sure that would be the case with gpu's if the manufacturers were able to ramp production. the manufacturers know there is a section of the market that will pay virtually anything for a gpu so this is will keep the market unnaturally inflated.

my choice of wording on the ram thing may not have been perfect but I think you know what i am talking about in relation to gpus?

Soldato
My destiny is clear, I need to donate to Corsair GPU rescure to be able to save all of these graphics cards, it's going to take a lot of moneh, I see they allow Bitcoint donations, I need to bulk buy a large amount of GPU's to mine untill I've rescued them all!

Soldato
If 1080tis hit £600, I think I will bite and call it a day for the next few years in regards to PC gaming.

Heck, if the GTX 1060 6GB was reasonably priced at around £150-200 I'd probably just get that.

Caporegime
Going into the mining sub forum over the last week has made me giggle like a little school girl, the amount of people abandoning the sinking ship hahahahahaha :D Hope the ones that bought 5+ GPUs have a hard time making their money back :cool: Going to be interesting to see what retailers do now, I think they are going to have to drop prices big time now if they want to move gpus etc. especially the prices on AMD's cards! Gamers aren't going to be paying over the odds for "old" tech or I would at least like to think they won't be.......

If 1080tis hit £600, I think I will bite and call it a day for the next few years in regards to PC gaming.

Heck, if the GTX 1060 6GB was reasonably priced at around £150-200 I'd probably just get that.

Likewise, don't even think I will bother buying a £300 gpu now, max for me will probably be £150/200 but I am also not going to do a side step, whatever my next GPU is, it will need to be at least as powerful as a 1070, if needs be, I can wait especially when games like far cry 5 get optimised extremely well and still run very well on older cards :cool:

The above and that I don't game anywhere as much lately and tbh, I've been very content with dropping settings in demanding games i.e. poorly optimised games on my 290 where by IQ is hardly any different but the FPS gain is massive, that and playing games on an OLED, gaming is just sublime, the games feel and look so much better thanks to the refresh rate and more so OLED's super fast pixel response time, in some ways, it is almost like I upgraded my GPU or/and have a free/g sync display!

Only reason I need to pick up a new GPU is for full HDR support, hopefully by that time, PC gaming HDR will be much better.

Soldato
OP
Makes me lol places still asking 250+ for 570 4GB even though there is tons of stock and ebay is full of them. Time to get them back to msrp idiots. Same with all the other cards, GPU mining is dead, stock should be plentiful, your price gouging is over.

Soldato
Makes me lol places still asking 250+ for 570 4GB even though there is tons of stock and ebay is full of them. Time to get them back to msrp idiots. Same with all the other cards, GPU mining is dead, stock should be plentiful, your price gouging is over.

Even funnier is local selling groups where people want £250 for their 6GB 1060 still. :p

Caporegime
prices have been dropping at some places. obviously some will hold out for aslong as they can.not everyone knows mining has bombed.will be great for gamers again.

Associate

That what price a GTX 1080 Ti should be now seen as its a year old some of them are nearly a thousand pounds its madness.

Associate
Not long until the prices drop now, lots of stock about and 2nd hand market is rife with miners about to lose a small fortune on a risky gamble

I hope so.

I've been looking for a card and following Etherium prices since January but not interested untill I see a 1 or low 2 as the first digit for a 570/580.

Soldato
That what price a GTX 1080 Ti should be now seen as its a year old some of them are nearly a thousand pounds its madness.
yup, kind of wish i bought it at christmas. i was hmming and aahing at the £50-75 is would have cost to get a 1080ti at the time.

Now given I've already waited 3 months and I'm sure nvidia have to release something at some point this year im happy to kind of wait.

Soldato
When do we reckon the 1060 6gb will drop to sub £200? I don't game but looking to get one soon as my Quadro 2000 just don't cut it for my 4K monitor particularly when 3D modelling and real-time rendering.

Associate
When do we reckon the 1060 6gb will drop to sub £200? I don't game but looking to get one soon as my Quadro 2000 just don't cut it for my 4K monitor particularly when 3D modelling and real-time rendering.

Well, Eth dropped a lot on price over the last month. It lost over half of its value From 860 usd to 370. I haven't seen that reflected in the price of cards from retailers yet. They seem to be lagging quite a lot. So the answer... Possibly soon.

Soldato
Well, Eth dropped a lot on price over the last month. It lost over half of its value From 860 usd to 370. I haven't seen that reflected in the price of cards from retailers yet. They seem to be lagging quite a lot. So the answer... Possibly soon.

Its the timebomb thats the real killer.

At 670usd it was making less money for mining than when valued at 300usd, the value is just like the final kick in the backside on top of that.

When it hit 1200usd in january I was making about double than in august yet it had 400% the value.

When that ASIC miner got released in january for a specific coin, the dev's of the coin reacted by making it many multiples harder to mine literally overnight. They will do what preserves the values for their "existing" coins, they basically just look after themselves, which is why we have difficulty timebombs.

When I invested in mining hardware back in august 2017, I was taking a punt ETH would rise in value, I calculated the revenues from mining at the august 2017 rates were acceptable but not great, but I vastly under researched the affects of the timebomb, I thought it was a very slow gradual process, but its actually quite accelerated. Now ETH did rise in value, and its still above that august 2017 level, but its far less viable now due to the timebomb.

Back
Top Bottom