Fritz!Box 7490 on FTTC/VDSL2

Associate
Lol that's the second time this has happened this week with me hoping for a device to appear and a few days later it does.
Thanks for the link, think I'll be opting for the new Netgear D7000 now though.

The Netgear is a Broadcom chipset, as the Fritzbox is a Lantiq, which I understand the latter works better with ECO cabinet? - not sure he true that is.

Current debating between a Fritzbox 7490 or a draytek 2860ac...anyone with a few?

Man of Honour
Bump for this.

Anyone switched from an Openreach ECI modem to one of these any not noticed any improvements?
Can they be used in modem only mode?

Associate
Performance on my line is slightly better using the Fritz, connection up time sitting currently at 72 days on what used to be a troublesome line.

No it can't run in modem only mode, not sure why you would want to spend around £200 to place it in such a mode if it existed.

Last edited:
Associate
A shameless thread resurrection

Who's still using the fritz? Was looking into getting one but they don't appear to have a firewall that is configurable from the GUI, as in Set a rule to block everything outgoing and then open up ports and services. Hard to tell from the manual and various German forum posts.
I can't find anything anywhere near it in terms of features though. Closest is visor but the 2862 with voip seems to be end of life. The fritz appears to have decent parental controls as well. Wifi schedule and per device rules and and access time durations.

So is it still worth it? anything else to consider?

thanks!

Associate
I sold mine in January after being interleaved for what must have been a year. Replaced it with a simple Tp-Link Archer VR2600 as I had no need for Dect phones, voicemail etc. One month on interleaving was removed so I can only presume the Fritz was to blame.

Back
Top Bottom