Road Cycling

Man of Honour
Opinions please guys

After the cancellation of my Canyon last year due to it being the wrong time of year and the wait, I’m going to be buying a bike this week

I’m torn between these

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endurace/2018/endurace-cf-slx-disc-8-0.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-920-cf-carbon-road-bike-ultegra-id_8402810.html

I have a B-Twin Triban 540 now and love it, but one thing that’s never taken me is the colour scheme and decals. I know that’s such an insignificant thing on a bike compared to how it rides and the spec, but it’s still important that you think it looks good right?

Well the Canyon in red is my ideal bike in terms of colour. Love the red and the look of it against the black wheels. It’s perfect

But...the B-Twin is virtually the same spec minus the disc brakes which I’m not too fussed about, lighter and supposedly has better wheels if reviews are anything to go by.

So it seems almost moronic to spend an extra £1600 for a colour scheme. Or am I missing something else in the price difference (other than discs)?

Soldato
But...the B-Twin is virtually the same spec minus the disc brakes which I’m not too fussed about, lighter and supposedly has better wheels if reviews are anything to go by.

So it seems almost moronic to spend an extra £1600 for a colour scheme. Or am I missing something else in the price difference (other than discs)?

The B'twin is lighter, cheaper and probably every bit as good as the Canyon, but that paint job is minging :eek:.

Man of Honour
What you are missing is the Trek Emonda SL6 in red.

Have you got a link? Trek was always my first choice as I fell in love with @BennyC’s bike when I first saw it. But all the red Trek bikes are either bottom of the range or way above 5k. It seems if you want the Segafredo livery then you need to pay the big bucks or have an entry level bike. I could always buy a frame and build my own but I don’t have the patience or skill for that :p

Associate
Most important is saddle height. Usually from inseam measurement. Work from that (various ways to measure it, you may even get different results, try them all out!), erring on the side of slightly-too-low than too high. Too high will rock you on the saddle (even if you don't realise). Then use KOPS (Knee over pedal spindle) to figure out saddle fore/back. If you've any previous injuries, are duck footed or lopsided in any way then get a bike fit.

An experienced fitter will tailor the fit to you, rather than reading guides, setting the bike up to measurements and then you trying to fit onto it (as you'll be doing). I know KOPS doesn't work perfectly for me as I'm borderline Small-Medium due to short legs, even though my height I'm firmly a medium. Am riding a 54cm Specialized, and it's a better fit than the Medium (54-56cm) Giant.
Firstly thanks.

Had a bit of a home fit tonight
Seems I was sitting a tad too high but also the saddle seemed to be too far Forward too.
Also noticed my saddle was sitting high at the front so adjusted that down a bit too.
Will see how it goes tomorrow if the weather improves at all. I’m sure the small changes will seem a bit strange for a bit but will persevere.
I left the bars as they were as I need to read up how to adjust those. I have a long stem on mine so wanna be right if I need to get something different sized to make the feel comfortable

Soldato
Soldato
Opinions please guys

After the cancellation of my Canyon last year due to it being the wrong time of year and the wait, I’m going to be buying a bike this week

I’m torn between these

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-920-cf-carbon-road-bike-ultegra-id_8402810.html

I have a B-Twin Triban 540 now and love it, but one thing that’s never taken me is the colour scheme and decals. I know that’s such an insignificant thing on a bike compared to how it rides and the spec, but it’s still important that you think it looks good right?

Well the Canyon in red is my ideal bike in terms of colour. Love the red and the look of it against the black wheels. It’s perfect

Any reason you are you looking at the Canyon Endurance bike- it’s their heavier, relaxed geometry, old persons bike :p

This is the equivalent model to the B-Twin you linked to : https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2018/ultimate-cf-slx-8-0.html
A touch more expensive but it’s lighter

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Any reason you are you looking at the Canyon Endurance bike- it’s their heavier, relaxed geometry, old persons bike :p

I wanted the Aeroad but nearly every review I’ve read says while it’s not a super aggressive riding position, it’s not that comfortable.

Ultimate models are also pretty hit and miss on paint jobs unless you spend way more than I plan too

Soldato
Zwift CVR 2018 season 2 started last night. A few Zwift platform bugs meant our zone E bracket C race wasn't that well attended (42 riders), tough first race back in for me as I've been quite lax lately, also meant I got shelled midway through the race, couldn't regain the front group but managed the gap to the chasers rolling around tempo for the second half and finishing in 14th. Meh.

What tyres?
Undecided!
What width!? :p

I'm still holding out for a 30mm, but not many brands seem to do them. Running 28's and I have room for 30's but probably not 32's. I'm also wondering if 30mm wide tubeless (on my 21mm internal rim width) for my 'summer' setup (with lightweight discs) will be carrying unneccessary weight (with additional minor rolling resistance) when there's far more 28mm tubeless choices.

I’m torn between these

<snip>
Discs are a huge part of that price premium, especially the Ultegra level ones on there. They ain't cheap - the shifters alone are £560! You can get the whole rim brake groupset for only £50 more. Basically if you don't want/need discs, then don't buy them!

The BTwin is obviously cheaper and a complete bike but I agree, the colour is ugly. Certainly towards the cheaper side of things (Triban 540 is £700/800?) you get more for your money but once into these higher (premium?) realms I'd personally steer clear of a brand like Btwin. You're already spending a bit of a price premium to get a desirable bike, so why compromise?! You don't need to spend £2000+ to get a great bike with Ultegra if you're not worried about branding, but if you're trying to get a bike you'll love and be encouraged to ride then shop around and get something you love the look of! :cool:

What is a Google?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+google?

Will see how it goes tomorrow if the weather improves at all. I’m sure the small changes will seem a bit strange for a bit but will persevere.
Let us know how you get on! Weather is pretty stinky here but rain beginning to clear. Feels quite a bit cooler than yesterday though! :(

Once you've got it somewhere near, then tweak things very slightly. Small changes are key! Also keeping a bit of a mental/physical note of what you've changed, why and how to revert to previous so you can always return to 'how it was'.

Man of Honour
Zwift CVR 2018 season 2 started last night. A few Zwift platform bugs meant our zone E bracket C race wasn't that well attended (42 riders), tough first race back in for me as I've been quite lax lately, also meant I got shelled midway through the race, couldn't regain the front group but managed the gap to the chasers rolling around tempo for the second half and finishing in 14th. Meh.

I saw you were online last night and was going to ride with you, but saw you had an impressive average pace going so thought I better not :p

As for the bikes, yeah...more I think about it, more I'm just dismissing the B-Twin idea all together, it's a fantastic spec for the money but it's ugly and cyclists are too elitist to be riding around on a B-Twin again :p

I really like the Trek Emonda SL 6 in Red, looks fantastic, and is a lot cheaper than the Canyon. But again, is lacking discs (not that I'm too fussed about that) and the wheels aren't quite as good. I'd really like some deep rim wheels so I'd probably end up buying some anyway which would add on another £6-700 on top of the price of the Emonda, but I'd still be saving £1100

Decisions

Soldato
As for the bikes, yeah...more I think about it, more I'm just dismissing the B-Twin idea all together, it's a fantastic spec for the money but it's ugly and cyclists are too elitist to be riding around on a B-Twin again :p

Only slow people are elitist. Fast people let their legs do the talking ;)

Soldato
I'd get the Endurace out of the choice, but then I'd also get the Ultimate should you stretch it out more. Or the Aeroad. Wait, any Canyon... :D

I have owned all 3, so I'm biased.

Anyway, I started doing some of this...

NUx5Kn6.jpg
IvTOCpC.jpg
YGzFLQ8.jpg

Brake cables arrived as well, so I'll have a go at finishing off the cables and bar tape later. The ceramic speed is also here, so I'll fit that to the RD and have it on the bike. Need to order the FD now and bike discount have lost another parcel to me, which is the cassette and chain to finish it off.

Excuse the dirty arse on the Ultimate.

Soldato
Filthy! Was going to complain about the silver bolts on the bottom of the bars but realised they'll probably vanish, or are they to mount DI2 box (which you don't need) or an outfront mount for camera/garmin?

Silver calipers would do my head in, but they will match the RD, I'm not a fan of silver so... ;)

Build is looking better/closer. Really think I prefer the look of the canyon aero bars on the Ultimate though. The Scott will look superb with your pink decal Zipp's! :D

I really like the Trek Emonda SL 6 in Red, looks fantastic, and is a lot cheaper than the Canyon. But again, is lacking discs (not that I'm too fussed about that) and the wheels aren't quite as good. I'd really like some deep rim wheels so I'd probably end up buying some anyway which would add on another £6-700 on top of the price of the Emonda, but I'd still be saving £1100
Haha you should've jumped on to give me a tow, not that it would've helped (outside riders excluded from CVR races) ;)

For the money you're looking at sinking you can afford to be picky. You seem fairly brand agnostic with only a slight bias towards Trek (and BTwin). So let your eyes do the shopping, just make sure you're getting a good bike for the money and not just something which looks fantastic. At your price point you should be getting full Ultegra, I'd edge towards Ultegra brakes and crankset as well, for the whole groupset matching as most of the cheaper cranks/brakes some brands fit are lower quality (maybe more on par with 105, which isn't bad). I'm aiming that comment/opinion at Giant & Cannondale mainly!

It's worth looking through various articles like this: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/2000-bikes-group-test-videos-169334

As you might spot a brand/model/colour scheme you've not seen before. Just be aware that most of the big name brands - Giant, Cannondale, Specialized etc will all have multiple colour options. Going the Emonda route as you've seen will save you enough that you can 'afford' your deeper aero wheels you're after. You don't need them day 1 so can again buy whatever brand you want! ;)

EDIT: you might be able to find one of these BMC 2017 models in stock somewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Buy Cervelo R3 or S3 with or without disc brakes and be happy.

They used to ship with pap wheels, not sure if that’s still the case.

(Fulcrum Racing 7s on my R5 when new with a red cassette worth more than the wheelset!).

Back
Top Bottom