Never buy from Currys or a Sony TV

Commissario
Most companies have an 0800 which is free as the sales number to draw you in. Customer Services are usually 0344 or 0345 which are charged at national rate which is anywhere from 3-9p for landlines and up to 55p a minute for mobiles.

Over the past couple of days I've spent 134 minutes talking to them.
Do you not have inclusive minutes with your mobile plan? 03 numbers are included...

Soldato
Richer Sounds was easy to deal with, my 4K projector packed in after 3 months, was expecting hassle at the store but they handed me a brand new one.

Soldato
I have a 32" Samsung TV from 2014, the software is so slow on it, but picture is great, now the new Samsung TV's are quick and snappy, brilliant! Never had a Sony, always knew Sony to be reliable though!

Soldato
It would be interesting to see Curry's Glass's guide to TV depreciation (.. 20-30% per year ?)
and using the web to find details of known manufacturer defects (Sony tv PSU discussion's from OC) would help any 'negotiation'

Capodecina
Soldato
[SNIP]
Bought a 65" Sony Android TV around 30 months ago from Currys. A month after Warranty ended the TV went faulty.
[SNIP]
I asked them to write the TV off and just give me a replacement but they are adamant they wont do that
[SNIP]
How long were you told your warranty period was when you bought the TV?

Soldato
The old crt mammoths used to last decades.

My 14inch CRT I still own from when I was 16, still works today and I am 39 now. Sadly companies will always cut corners to increase those profits and when you factor in planned obsolescence, its not surprising to see things fail quickly. They dont want you to buy a TV and it lasts 20 years without issues as then you may never buy a new TV in that 20 years.

Also my experience of getting electrical goods repaired is pretty damn poor.

Our VHS recorder broke down when I was a child, my dad used to get it repaired on an annual basis, it never lasted more than a year between repairs, he always had a short termist view on expenses, he probably spent more than the cost of a new VHS recorder on repairs but he always only ever looked at a single repair cost vs a new unit.

A monitor I had died about a week before warranty expiry, it was repaired and shipped back, the exact same fault developed again about a month later but this time outside of warranty.

When you factor the costs of shipping, people doing the repairs, parts, etc. you wonder why they dont just do an exchange but its all about saving pennies I guess. I certainly think if something fails inside a warranty period one should just get a replacement not a repair.

Soldato
So, I had a bit of a read of this thread yesterday as I'm quite interested in consumer issues, I didn't think anything more of it and when I get home last night BOOM! My TV is no longer working. I'm a rational chap, it's a 4 year old TV (purchased from Amazon you'll be pleased to hear) and it's not unlikely that the backlight has just given up the ghost. However, being as I said, a rational man, I'm willing to say with 100% certainty that the OP has cursed me with some kind of Ring style bad juju passed on by viewing this thread. I therefore beseech the OP to remove the gypsy/voodoo/black magic curse that he has inadvertently (or otherwise) placed on my Korean electrical goods. Have a heart!

In other news does anybody know whether replacing a backlight is economically viable?

Soldato
So, I had a bit of a read of this thread yesterday as I'm quite interested in consumer issues, ... it's a 4 year old TV (purchased from Amazon you'll be pleased to hear) and it's not unlikely that the backlight has just given up the ghost. However, being as I said, a rational man, .. I therefore beseech the OP to remove the gypsy/voodoo/black magic curse that he has inadvertently (or otherwise) placed on my Korean electrical goods. Have a heart!
In other news does anybody know whether replacing a backlight is economically viable?
Interesting to hear if you will approach Amazon (no one has discussed their repair service afaik)
... if it is the psu supplying backlight can be diy, but backlight itself usually embedded im screen (i've posted on replacing boards before)

On Curry's, after looking at their website , would like to know what are the terms of their guarantee/warranty (not their additional repair package) beyond what consumer rights provide - anyone ?

Associate
OP
On Curry's, after looking at their website , would like to know what are the terms of their guarantee/warranty (not their additional repair package) beyond what consumer rights provide - anyone ?
12 months, anything after that is out of warranty and they will charge £95 inspection fee that they claim they will refund if its a manufacturers fault and not accidental damage.

If it was bought after October 2015 you are covered for 6 years under Consumer Rights Act, if its out of warranty you have to give them one chance to repair the item. If they cant repair it, its not economical to repair or it fails after repair you or they can claim a Final Right of Rejection which usually means replacement or partial refund based on wear and tear and not any kind of "well its only worth this much today" or trade price according to Trading Standards Consumer Line.

Back
Top Bottom