Never buy from Currys or a Sony TV

Soldato
...your point is? :confused:
It can get a bit confusing when one thread is stripped of all references because the discussion is about a monitor but this one is OK because its a TV. Presumably if the other thread was about a TV purchased at e Buyer then it wouldn't have been censored out? :p

It can seem a bit of an oddly placed line in some circumstances.

Commissario
It can get a bit confusing when one thread is stripped of all references because the discussion is about a monitor but this one is OK because its a TV. Presumably if the other thread was about a TV purchased at e Buyer then it wouldn't have been censored out? :p

It can seem a bit of an oddly placed line in some circumstances.

Ok, I'll add Currys to the filter to avoid any confusion in future :p

Soldato
I already caught the curse from someone else no doubt was only fair I pass it on!

Backlights are bonded to the screen thesedays. The backlight is the problem on my TV and they had to order a whole new screen.

Ah that's not good news. On the Brightside maybe I'll pass it on to somebody else, misery loves company!

Interesting to hear if you will approach Amazon (no one has discussed their repair service afaik)

I'm going to throw a cheeky comment through their support service and see what happens, their order history seems to be suffering technical issues at the moment though so will need to wait for that to be resolved.

Associate
I would never buy a Sony TV again, worst TV's ever for me. My 6 year old TV is currently on it's 3rd panel, which has as also developed the same 2 lines, in the same place, down the screen as the previous screens. Lucky I bought it from Amazon and it came with a 3 year warranty which sorted out the first 2 faults.

I got my father in law a nice LG 55" TV from JL last week, it was £40 cheaper than Curry's and came with a 5 year warranty. I'm planing to buy a TV around Christmas time and I will be getting mine from JL.

Soldato
John Lewis or Richer Sounds for TVs always.

Currys is fine if your TV never fails, or fails in the first year or you want to change in the 30day.

Advantages of Currys is the interest free / credit, availability & stock levels in store, range and number of stores plus often good pricing.

JL or RS are the best if they have the TV you want and it's actually in stock. Store stock can be limited though.

I have only bought TVs from JL or RS for the last few years.

Associate
OP
Just had a phonecall. They are going to give me a new TV instead of partial refund. Sony 65" 4K HDR Android TV. I don't get the pick the TV but the one that broke was bog standard 1080p, this is a big upgrade. Even if I take it and sell it I'll get more than any partial refund they are going to offer.

Thanks for all the advice Schizo and everyone else, case closed........until the new one breaks :D

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Each time I've bought from AO I've had a call under the guise of 'checking everything is OK with the delivery arrangement' before launching into, 'well, what will you do if it breaks?' spiel. You are lucky Ace, from what I understand it's a KPI for the sales team to follow up for insurance.

That said, they are easy, well priced and deliver on time.

Soldato
Just had a phonecall. They are going to give me a new TV instead of partial refund. Sony 65" 4K HDR Android TV. I don't get the pick the TV but the one that broke was bog standard 1080p, this is a big upgrade. Even if I take it and sell it I'll get more than any partial refund they are going to offer.

Thanks for all the advice Schizo and everyone else, case closed........until the new one breaks :D

Nice work!

Soldato
Richer Sounds for TVs. Fair price, delivery on time and no one tries to push any insurance or extended warranty. Went back there for my av and speakers and service was exactly the same.

Soldato
I had a similar issue (without major aggro) with a Sony TV and hopefully the below will help.

I bought a 2015 Sony X85C TV new in early 2016, at the time, if registered on the Sony website the TV warranty was extended to 5 years, however Richer sounds (where I had purchased from) gave a 6 year warranty anyway.

A fault developed on the TV (a group of dead pixels) around August last year (~14 months after purchase), Called Sony they offered me a brand new non-3d tv I refused so they sent me another X85C (I requested the exchange model have 3d) this was a refurbished model.

About a month after receiving the refurb (September / October 16) it developed a fault (ropy network connection) they advised a full reset I did this and all was well again for a couple of months until the fault came back (I believe the processor in the X85 range is not powerful enough to run the OS) So in February this year instead of emailing Sony directly I used the Resolver App to complain, Sony CS responded that they wanted to pick the set up I refused demanding an exchange for an equivalent current set they said no so I escalated it through Resolver to some department head.
I had an email through from Sony about 3 weeks ago offering a full refund of the TV through the place of purchase which I then accepted, this took about 2 days to process (a day for Sony to collect the TV and a day to process the refund) Richer Sounds confirmed that the refund was on the their system waiting for me.

Hope this helps if not already resolved.

Associate
nothing changed then had major problems with a Philips VCR 20 years ago, i got fobbed off multiple times by currys they refused to write it off it had 3 or 4 repairs under guarantee they still refused to admit it was a pile of junk.

Soldato

Superb news,was it the info i gave that helped ?

Back
Top Bottom