Windows 10 Update Failure from Version 1703 On Surface Pro

Soldato
Hi Guys

I have a Surface Pro 3 and a few weeks ago a Windows 10 update failed. It is currently showing that it's running Windows 10 Pro version 1703 build 15063.966. I now keep getting Windows Update failure messages.

It is saying the available update is:

2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4088891)

Can anyone offer any advice as how I can get the OS updated?

Thanks

Man of Honour
What worked for me was going into disk cleanup with the admin option and removing previous operating system files.

1703/1709 seem to be a bit problematic though - one of my tablets kept failing and retrying and then randomly reset my OS - basically reinstalled resetting 90% of my settings and software without any prompting of its own accord (kept my data though).

Soldato
OP
I'm not that bothered about the new features in 1709, but I would like to make sure that my computer is up to date and secure, and doesn't keep reminding me about any updates I can't install. It looks like it has successfully installed all the quality updates for 1703. Therefore, it may just be a case of making the computer ignore version 1709, that would be fine by me, but I don't want the update failure messages. Thanks.

Soldato
Run the system files clean up from explorer ->this pc -> C: drive -> properties -> general -> disk cleanup -> clean up system files. Select everything and run it, then try the update again (you may end up having to download it again). Dunno if any of that is different on a Surface versus a PC, but I've fixed this issue on a couple of PCs by this method. I think Windows 10 gets confused if previous update files (or their backups) are still present.

Back
Top Bottom