Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Due to have the 350 service (VIP TV etc) installed on Saturday, do we reckon they will come with the newer firmware or will need updating at some point? I don't game often but the odd game of BF4 is fun.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could you leave the virgin hub in router mode and connect it to a third party router as well? I find the Virgin HUB takes agesss to assign an IP when I have it in modem mode connected to an ASUS router.

On a side note I got connected up 2 weeks ago on Saturday and had my first issue yesterday morning. The service went down for an hour and Virgin noted there was a fault. They did fix it though but hopefully it's not too frequent.

Luckily I had the BT line plugged in as a dual failover connection, you can see the better pings in the TBB graph

Soldato
Could you leave the virgin hub in router mode and connect it to a third party router as well? I find the Virgin HUB takes agesss to assign an IP when I have it in modem mode connected to an ASUS router.

Yes, but then you double-NAT and you get conflicts between various things that need to be disabled on either the SH or the Asus router. The SH shouldn't be assigning IPs at all when in modem mode, the router will be doing that. There's something else going on there. Unless you mean WAN IP, in which case you may have your Asus incorrectly configured. If you're using Merlin or the like, there is an option in there (which I belive is turned on by default) to wait before trying to get a WAN IP, due to issues cause when asking for a WAN IP before the SH is ready to give one. You can turn that off, and get an IP much faster.

Soldato
Due to have the 350 service (VIP TV etc) installed on Saturday, do we reckon they will come with the newer firmware or will need updating at some point? I don't game often but the odd game of BF4 is fun.

Not sure for new connections, but if you're on the 100/200 package and upgrade to the 350, as part of the speed increase, the new firmware is pushed down too. Both lads in the office upgraded today over the phone and got the new firmware which they didnt have on Friday as they were still on V and the old interface. I was going to do mine, but I cant for another week or so when I'm out of my contract and can negotiate a bit better. Both were on the 200mb packages

Soldato
Oh the joys of my 200Mbps connection!

7218985937.png

Associate
@Swifty55 can you get Openreach fibre in your area?

Moving to a new area and considering Virgin, just wondering if the people who have issues are always in an area that's congested because it's the only option.

Soldato
@Swifty55 can you get Openreach fibre in your area?

Moving to a new area and considering Virgin, just wondering if the people who have issues are always in an area that's congested because it's the only option.
I can, but it's a 14Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up connection... So not even worth bothering.

My area was previously congested over a year ago, they fixed it but obviously not good enough!

I live in such a ****** town/area it's unbelievable!

If you can get a decent FTTC connection then I would suggest staying on that unless you really require high speeds!

Well that doesn't give me confidence.
Aye, don't get me wrong. The connection is great when it works and I get full speeds, but right now it's just unusable again.

If you're considering VM, do your research. Otherwise stay FTTC is you get a decent speed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Aye, don't get me wrong. The connection is great when it works and I get full speeds, but right now it's just unusable again.

If you're considering VM, do your research. Otherwise stay FTTC is you get a decent speed!

We've just had VM move into the area. Currently on 60Mbps FTTC which is hugely oversubscribed. My VM install on Friday will likely be one of the first in the area, so we'll just have to see what the uptake is.

Associate
I can, but it's a 14Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up connection... So not even worth bothering.

My area was previously congested over a year ago, they fixed it but obviously not good enough!

I live in such a ****** town/area it's unbelievable!

If you can get a decent FTTC connection then I would suggest staying on that unless you really require high speeds!

Cheers for the info. Area I'm moving to can get 350Mbps with Virgin or up to 76Mbps with Openreach. Currently with Plusnet and have no complaints, just tempted to try out Virgin. Intending to use a SFF pc running Pfsense and a couple of access points, regardless of the supplier.

Soldato
We've just had VM move into the area. Currently on 60Mbps FTTC which is hugely oversubscribed. My VM install on Friday will likely be one of the first in the area, so we'll just have to see what the uptake is.
You should be good. Utilisation issues seem to be from old areas as demand gets bigger and now VM are chasing their tails trying to upgrade all their CMTS’s etc.

Cheers for the info. Area I'm moving to can get 350Mbps with Virgin or up to 76Mbps with Openreach. Currently with Plusnet and have no complaints, just tempted to try out Virgin. Intending to use a SFF pc running Pfsense and a couple of access points, regardless of the supplier.
Check the VM community forum. Search your post code or make a post and a staff member will reply in about 5 days with info.

Just a shame I can’t get decent FTTC!

Tested this morning and back to full speed:

7217281949.png

utzBNRd.png
How’s your speeds mate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom