Has this drive got a terminal illness?

Soldato
Ok, so I think I've injured my WDC Drive that I got in August last year,

I had it out of my PC to transfer some files to my laptop, now I put it in its enclosure, and the cable was a bit too short and I pulled it and it slid off the slipper table, I managed to brake its fall slightly however it still hit the ground, not a full on hit because it was in an enclosure, however the enclosure top came off and the HDD jolted out of its connections.

I plugged it in and it seemed to work, however Windows felt it needed to check the disk and one file struggled to transfer, now It seems to be working, not sure if recent BSOD about IRQ Not less or Equal is due to this but not sure if these errors I see on HD Tune are in relation to the drop?

Check the screenshots. I dropped a 1TB HDD A year or so ago, that was a gonner it was making all sorts of grinding noises.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r05d3j8km9z77hz/AADW4W8a9xAyr_oNcx1MsRt0a?dl=0

APM

APM

Associate
Could be ok for ages also could fail,the thing is to watch and see if any more blocks fail over the coming days/weeks.
If they do prepare for the worst.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

The fault was caused by a shock, which means there was physical damage. Physical damage to a disk means chips/flakes/stuff coming off and flying around causing further damage. It's a vicious cycle, and once started, it's only a matter of time before you lose more or you lose the lot in a catastrophic head crash. You just cannot trust that disk any longer, unfortunately.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Spinning drives are very delicate things -- you just have to think of them as such, and treat them "extra special" when you're handling them. I've never dropped a hard drive in my life, but I certainly am super careful when I handle them, so that must help. Touch wood...

Soldato
OP
I can't imagine data transfer to be very quick? I usually resort to pulling HDD's out and sticking them in an enclosure because transferring hundreds of GBs of data takes ages over the network.

Checking unstable sector count now it's gone from 2 to 27. Not sure if this is causing BSODS as I'm getting a lot since taking this drive out and putting it back in after the drop. However it's not a system drive so not sure.

Man of Honour
I can't imagine data transfer to be very quick? I usually resort to pulling HDD's out and sticking them in an enclosure because transferring hundreds of GBs of data takes ages over the network.

Checking unstable sector count now it's gone from 2 to 27. Not sure if this is causing BSODS as I'm getting a lot since taking this drive out and putting it back in after the drop. However it's not a system drive so not sure.

Have you got hd tune? You could try the erase and zero fill the drive. I have had similar issues with drives before which have been cleared by it. Does look like it might be game over for it though.

Soldato
OP
I haven't tried that, had to take it out of the PC as Windows was instantly BSOD and it was no longer possible to get in, taking HDD out resulted in Windows booting fine. Not sure how it's causing these BSOD's to do with kernel when it's not a system drive. Anyway it seems to work ok on USB 3, is USB3 a lot slower than SATA 3?

Associate
Not sure how it's causing these BSOD's to do with kernel when it's not a system drive. Anyway it seems to work ok on USB 3, is USB3 a lot slower than SATA 3?
It's very common for dud HDDs to cause boot problems, BSODs etc even when they're just connected as secondary storage.

From what you've described, I'm not sure why you haven't just chucked the thing out... it's clearly not long for this world, what exactly do you hope to use it for?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Using CCCleaner to write zero's to it could give it a new lease on life,worth a try.
No chance. When it comes to hard drives, dead is dead. The drive puts in a tremendous effort before it reports faulty sectors. For it to report a faulty sector it has already done probably hundreds of attempts at reading it.

Back
Top Bottom