The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Associate
What was the charge level out of the box Raymond? My gf is at home waiting for the package whilst I'm at work, so thinking about getting her to slip it on charge if a bit low

About 5%, I wanted to use it at TPS but it didn't have enough power to format the memory card which was a little disappointing.

Caporegime
Anyone here got the Sony zeiss 55mm 1.8? Sharp? Im very close to ordering this from John Lewis. Thanks

Plenty of people have, I’ve tried on, it’s sharp corner to corner and small and light. Great fit size wise to the Sony cameras. Af is fast and silent, like really no noise at all.

Down side? CA control is not the best and it’s not 1.4, and not true 50mm.

In short, it’s worth it’s price tag because it’s better than the 50/1.8 but not as good as the 50/1.4 and it’s price sits perfectly in between.

You could wait for the sigma 50/1.4.

Last edited:
Soldato
First impressions on the camera are great. I've got an old Sigma 50mm 1.4 (non art) that works nicely through the mc11 adapter so I am happy with that for the time being for a prime.

I'm still deliberating whether or not just to get a 24-70 and be done with it for now, or to get a couple of primes 35/85 to compliment the 50.

Soldato
The camera isn't good enough yet to warrant that much investment in changing systems, IMO. At the rate Sony are developing it'll be replaced in 12 months by something better, albeit still requiring the same investment in glass. Typed as a casual user, rather than one generating any meaningful money from using it!

Caporegime
The camera isn't good enough yet to warrant that much investment in changing systems, IMO. At the rate Sony are developing it'll be replaced in 12 months by something better, albeit still requiring the same investment in glass. Typed as a casual user, rather than one generating any meaningful money from using it!

I will wait to see what Canon does this year and what direction they are taking in mirrorless.

Truth be told they have a lot of catching up to do. The A73 will be a good stop gap as a pseudo canon body until then, if I don’t go all Sony.

But some of the Sony glass is just brilliant, especially the Zeiss. Comes at a cost though!

Soldato
It certainly does, and that isn't quite compatible with an 'entry level' mirrorless full frame. Not for me anyway - I just can't justify the price relative to the amount of use it'll get.

I was using my D750 for video today, for the first time in a long while. All I kept thinking was 'I wish I had the a7iii !'

Associate
At the rate Sony are developing it'll be replaced in 12 months by something better, albeit still requiring the same investment in glass.

Is that really the case? It's been about 2 and a half years between the A7 II and III and the A7R II and III.

It's also worth considering it's easier for them to make big improvements when they're far behind but their latest cameras are pretty damn convincing with anything on the market, I can't see the IV bringing as many improvements (although a better EVF would be nice).

Caporegime
It certainly does, and that isn't quite compatible with an 'entry level' mirrorless full frame. Not for me anyway - I just can't justify the price relative to the amount of use it'll get.

I was using my D750 for video today, for the first time in a long while. All I kept thinking was 'I wish I had the a7iii !'

5D4 would be a nice video camera if they had put in a good 4k codec, I actually only set to film in HD in that and not 4k.

Canon has a lot to catch up on in mirrorless but Nikon has even more. One of the most important thing is AF in live view and Nikon just does not have that nailed down at the moment, not even in the D850. At least Canon has Dual Pixel AF, it is great at tracking and finding faces, they they lack Eye-Focus AF which portraits photographers love because getting the eye in focus is vital and this makes it super easy.

The camera game now isn't about mega pixels, it seems we have now settled around 24mp as the sweet spot. All the latest bodies can do 14 stops of DR easily and even the not as good 6D is acceptable.

The game has now moved onto Focusing and who has the best, I rather have noisy photo than a out of focus one so focus and IBIS is the next thing. Canon has already put electronic stabilisation in their M5 mirrorless. They need to put a sensor stabiliser in next and need it fast because everyone else now has it.

I would think Canon is about 3 generations behind Sony, their next camera is probably going to be like the A7Rii. By the time the Canon mirrorless comes out Sony would have released the A7S3, having learnt what they know from the A9, A7R3 and A73. I really don't think Canon or Nikon's first mirrorless will match anywhere near Sony's current line up purely because there is just so many areas that they don't have.

Another major concern is Canon seems to have really long life cycles of their bodies, whereas Sony just throw out a new body every 6 months. They can't really release a 5D mirrorless and not update it for 5 years, that isn't going to work if they want to improve the tech and make ground. There will be the A75 out at that point and it will be so far ahead the photography world would be so far shifted they would have a hard time to catch up.

Associate
5D4 would be a nice video camera if they had put in a good 4k codec, I actually only set to film in HD in that and not 4k.

Canon has a lot to catch up on in mirrorless but Nikon has even more. One of the most important thing is AF in live view and Nikon just does not have that nailed down at the moment, not even in the D850. At least Canon has Dual Pixel AF, it is great at tracking and finding faces, they they lack Eye-Focus AF which portraits photographers love because getting the eye in focus is vital and this makes it super easy.

The camera game now isn't about mega pixels, it seems we have now settled around 24mp as the sweet spot. All the latest bodies can do 14 stops of DR easily and even the not as good 6D is acceptable.

The game has now moved onto Focusing and who has the best, I rather have noisy photo than a out of focus one so focus and IBIS is the next thing. Canon has already put electronic stabilisation in their M5 mirrorless. They need to put a sensor stabiliser in next and need it fast because everyone else now has it.

I would think Canon is about 3 generations behind Sony, their next camera is probably going to be like the A7Rii. By the time the Canon mirrorless comes out Sony would have released the A7S3, having learnt what they know from the A9, A7R3 and A73. I really don't think Canon or Nikon's first mirrorless will match anywhere near Sony's current line up purely because there is just so many areas that they don't have.

Another major concern is Canon seems to have really long life cycles of their bodies, whereas Sony just throw out a new body every 6 months. They can't really release a 5D mirrorless and not update it for 5 years, that isn't going to work if they want to improve the tech and make ground. There will be the A75 out at that point and it will be so far ahead the photography world would be so far shifted they would have a hard time to catch up.

I think you're probably right in fearing the worst for Canon & Nikon, but lets see what happens at Photokina in Autumn. For sure, this year is going to be pivotal for them ; failure to bring out competitive mirrorless cameras will see them lose significant market share. On the other hand if they do release something comparable to the Sony E-mount cameras then suddenly Sony's future seems less certain having placed all their eggs in one basket.

Caporegime
I think you're probably right in fearing the worst for Canon & Nikon, but lets see what happens at Photokina in Autumn. For sure, this year is going to be pivotal for them ; failure to bring out competitive mirrorless cameras will see them lose significant market share. On the other hand if they do release something comparable to the Sony E-mount cameras then suddenly Sony's future seems less certain having placed all their eggs in one basket.

My fear is because of the life cycle, it’s too soon for them to bring out a camera that directly compete with the 5D or 1D, it’s too soon and if a customer is given a choice whether to get a DSLR 5D4 or a Mirrorless 5D4 and the only difference is the mirror box, Canon is only going to sell just 1 camera so they are not exactly making more money, making another sale so all the R&D into it would be a bit of a waste.

If they are going to make one mirrorless pro body, I think the only logical body to make is the 7D mirrorless, it can be literally like the A9 but APSC. It would make sense because if the 7D2 has been out a while and they already have the M5/6/50 tech which can be just transported over with some adjustments. It can, if they can pull it off, high FPS silent shooting like the A9, dual cards slots and gear towards sports, like the A9.

Back
Top Bottom