cost of Renting a place on your own outside of London?

Underboss
As this is the only forum i use, i thought id ask this here to get some ideas of costs per month for Renting a 1 bedroom flat etc

I have googled to try and see what other people are paying, so based on at, i want to check that my maths are about right (give or take a bit of course depending on area/circumstances)

other than the main rent price PCM ..

Electricity £35
Water £25
Gas £15
TV Licence £12.50
Internet (and phone line if applicable) £20
Council Tax £150
Road Tax £20 (£240 a year)
Car Insurance £20 (£240 a year)
MOT £4.15
Interim Service £12.50
Petrol £70
Pension £50
Help to buy I.S.A. £200
Supermarket Sweep £70
Mobile £10
Home Contents Insurance £25
Entertainment / Going out £25

Approx £750 / a month

Adding rent of £500 a month brings it to £1250 a month

Does this sound to be about right ? or is it way to high / low ?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Depends allot on the area for example I pay £430 per month and its 3 bed room house... Downside it's in Bradford. House itself is good and tons of space mind

Underboss
OP
I assume he knows the rent will be ~£500/month and he's just checking everything else is in the right ballpark, given across the country the other things don't vary much (other than council tax which he of course also knows).

I don't actually know

Just looking for a place to rent , rather than staying with my parents, so been looking around, about 1 hours drive from work, so im unsure on council tax etc, so i wanted a ball park figure

Soldato
what is supermarket sweep..just shampoo etc?

I think your total is about right, but can't see you being able to put in £200 a month to ISA, you'll end up using that for random going out/eating/something you want to buy etc

Soldato
As this is the only forum i use, i thought id ask this here to get some ideas of costs per month for Renting a 1 bedroom flat etc

I have googled to try and see what other people are paying, so based on at, i want to check that my maths are about right (give or take a bit of course depending on area/circumstances)

other than the main rent price PCM ..

Electricity £35
Water £25
Gas £15
TV Licence £12.50
Internet (and phone line if applicable) £20
Council Tax £150
Road Tax £20 (£240 a year)
Car Insurance £20 (£240 a year)
MOT £4.15
Interim Service £12.50
Petrol £70
Pension £50
Help to buy I.S.A. £200
Supermarket Sweep £70
Mobile £10
Home Contents Insurance £25
Entertainment / Going out £25

Approx £750 / a month

Adding rent of £500 a month brings it to £1250 a month

Does this sound to be about right ? or is it way to high / low ?

Thanks in advance

I think you may be lowballing the electric/gas/internet here

Man of Honour
The fact you're budgeting for a help to buy ISA means you obviously want to own a home sometime before you die, therefore I'd forget the renting idea and plough all that cash into getting a deposit.

Soldato
For me living alone council tax is around 70 per month.

Internet is Virgin so pay a bit more.

Otherwise not far off what I spend

Soldato
Council tax seems very high to me, we pay ~£96 on a 3 bed house without the single person discount

Edit: to be fair, that doesn't appear to cover road repairs or bin collections for 6 months of the year...

It pays to get a mortgage if you have a few £k to stump up for a house deposit.

Stafford. £70k 1-bed semi. I have the back half of the semi with a boxed off private medium-sized garden. My mortgage is £270 a month. The front half of the semi is exactly the same of my half (just mirror-image), street-facing and no garden, and the tenant in there is paying £450/month in rent. That is almost twice my mortgage!!

Man of Honour
Electricity and gas are probably a bit low. From various threads on the topic it seems some are paying almost 10x that. Internet/cable Is definitely too low, I think you'll struggle to achieve that.
Living alone some stuff simply lasts almost forever, so for supermarket sweep might not be far off. I have lived alone for almost 2 years - I'm usually away in the week working and back at weekends.
I'm on my second bottle of washing up liquid since I moved in, my third bottle of hand soap; and my second box of Surf :D..... some stuff just seems to last ages when you don't have someone else there using inordinate amounts of everything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom