**** The Official Nokia 8 Thread ****

Soldato
Worst phone I had for ages , had 3 of them and all had WiFi issues. Spoke to support and they were not interested ,all they could say was get in touch with Google. Lots had the WiFi issues. I'll never buy a Nokia again.

Don
Battery life is excellent, even with moderate use throughout the day and into the evening I still have at least 20% left when it goes on charge.

Good things:
Screen resolution and overall clarity
Speed - seems blisteringly quick coming from a Moto g
Stock android and regular security updates

Bad things:
Fingerprint sensor too small and finicky for my liking
Only single speaker (coming from Moto G2 this is a downgrade)
Expandable storage not available in os, so can only use SD for music, photos etc.

Undecided things:
Camera - seems decent enough to me, but reviews seem to think it's noticeably worse than other phones in same price range.

Man of Honour
Regarding the camera, I would say it is poor by modern standards, at least out of the box without tweaking it for someone like me just wanting point and shoot. It's noticeably worse than the Note 4 it replaced, in particular in low light conditions some pictures come out blurry.
Seen a couple of comments above about finger print sensor being finicky, try using your thumb as I've found that a lot easier/more reliable.

For me the best things are how slick/fast it is and the battery life. On the downside the case is very slippery so I've dropped it a few times and it will also slide off your lap etc - might benefit from a replacement cover without the gloss finish.

Soldato
Regarding the camera, I would say it is poor by modern standards, at least out of the box without tweaking it for someone like me just wanting point and shoot. It's noticeably worse than the Note 4 it replaced, in particular in low light conditions some pictures come out blurry.
Seen a couple of comments above about finger print sensor being finicky, try using your thumb as I've found that a lot easier/more reliable.

For me the best things are how slick/fast it is and the battery life. On the downside the case is very slippery so I've dropped it a few times and it will also slide off your lap etc - might benefit from a replacement cover without the gloss finish.

I went for this case. It's textured and grippy which suits my slippy hands perfectly.
Regarding the camera, install the Google camera it gives far far better results than the Nokia version and shows that the sensor is great, it's just that Nokia's image processing needs some work.

Soldato
Got a Argos card through works benefit scheme so will be getting this phone tomorrow for £276.

I know the 7+ is out soon but don't think it will be worth the extra cash.

On a side note have seen CPW has put he price up to £499 now. (Hope Argos doesn't follow suit.)

Soldato
Bought one the other day from JL for 299, wanted the extra piece of mind / 2 year warranty. Updated to Android 8.1 and 2 security updates, March and April 2018. Only connected to WiFi so far to update, got the rest of the setting up to do over the weekend.

Seems nice quality, a bit slippery to hold as it's quite slim, terrapin low profile case on order. My first sim free handset coming from my 2 year old Moto E 2nd edition so definitely seems snappy by comparison.

Was originally going for the 7 plus but it wouldn't have such good specs apart from a larger screen so this seems the better deal. I wanted a bigger screen than I had, Android One, more performance, better battery life, more native storage & wireless charging, so got most of that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well i got the Nokia 8, but am having wifi issues.
Not really liking Android One also, just seems a bit clunky but may get better over time.
Think i am going to see about a refund or swap for a different phone.
Such a shame. :(

Associate
I went for this case. It's textured and grippy which suits my slippy hands perfectly.
Regarding the camera, install the Google camera it gives far far better results than the Nokia version and shows that the sensor is great, it's just that Nokia's image processing needs some work.

Which version of Google camera did you install?

Soldato
I've had mine a few weeks now. It certainly benchmarks in the top few current phones using the usual suites and battery life is good.

Nothing came close for the £299. I'm finding Android One on 8.1 great and the camera fine for my use. At full price I would have considered other phones though.

I went for the Terrapin case with kick stand which is solid, slim and grippy. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B076LJRWML/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Associate
I've reluctently upgraded from a 5x to one of these as it was too good to miss at under £300.
So far so good with it. Definately agree the camera is better with the google camera!
Hopefully Nokia push through some updates on the glance notifications, whatsapp notifications would be really handy. A case is really needed, very very slippery!

Back
Top Bottom