Small SUV type advice

Associate
Looking to trade in my current 3 series (12 plate) for something a bit more practical. Budget circa 25k

Thinking of:

Tiguan
X1
XC40

Anyone had any experience with the above?

Cheers

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
3 series touring is actually not that practical, the rear seats are small, and the boot isnt all that big.

I really dont think the small SUV are worth it, they offer no reall extra space than their Hatch equivalent, apart from height, which is useful for some.

I'd look at X Trail,CX5,Kodiaq. I'd go with the XC60 If you need cabin space. But my preference along with many would be A6 or 5 series estate, or the Superb as the budget option.

Caporegime
I quite like bigger SUVs, they're comfortable, have plenty of space and give you a nice driving position and view of the road. The small SUVs are just compromised hatchbacks: slower, heavier, less efficient, and much worse handling for more money. I haven't driven any of the ones above though.

Soldato
Brand New Kuga ST-Line for there or there about's. Picked mine up a few weeks ago - can't fault it.

Half leather seats/ sat nav/ 4wd, cruise control, parking sensors.

Soldato
I've just been through a similar search and in conclusion the XC40 has now gone out to a November delivery. It then depends on what other features of an SUV you are after, I was looking for 4wd and petrol which greatly limits the choice.
A lot of smaller SUV's only offer front wheel drive and a lot only offer diesel for it's torque. However diesel is being hit by governments at the moment and I suspect that is only going to get worse.
If you need some pulling power then you'll be looking at quite an expensive Petrol engine New discovery/Jag E-pace have a 250bhp engine as does the XC40. In my case the discovery was a bit too long and quite expensive when kitted out with goodies, the E-Pace was also similarly expensive with a reasonable set of toys. From what I've seen the 'premium' brands are a better quality but tend to be priced with few options.
At the start of our search we were looking at a 2.0L TFSI Q2, that has proved to be a bit small and I've lots with "little old ladies" in :) The Q3 is a very old model now and to be replaced later this year. The new Q5 from 2017 can come with a 250bhp petrol Quattro setup.
If you're happy with diesel the options broaden and I suspect the offers do too as many dealers are having trouble shifting stock.
Don't forget the newer road fund rules mean anything over £40K will suffer an enhanced charge for a few years ;)
If you are however not look at the premium brands then pretty much everyone has an SUV type vehicle from Dacia upwards LoL.
Andi.

Associate
OP
Depends what you mean by practical, but of those the Tiguan is the only one with a decent boot capacity.

Practical to me means reasonable space for stuff, but part of the attraction to a SUV is the driving position.

Why not a 3 Series Touring, then you dont have to drive a van?

Yeah, maybe.

What about a Mazda CX5?

Not a bad shout...

Probably out of my price range for the age I want.

Dacia Duster?

Not for me

Yes!

Brand New Kuga ST-Line for there or there about's. Picked mine up a few weeks ago - can't fault it.
Half leather seats/ sat nav/ 4wd, cruise control, parking sensors.

Perhaps, but `tis a silly name

Associate
OP
I've just been through a similar search and in conclusion the XC40 has now gone out to a November delivery. It then depends on what other features of an SUV you are after, I was looking for 4wd and petrol which greatly limits the choice.
A lot of smaller SUV's only offer front wheel drive and a lot only offer diesel for it's torque. However diesel is being hit by governments at the moment and I suspect that is only going to get worse.
If you need some pulling power then you'll be looking at quite an expensive Petrol engine New discovery/Jag E-pace have a 250bhp engine as does the XC40. In my case the discovery was a bit too long and quite expensive when kitted out with goodies, the E-Pace was also similarly expensive with a reasonable set of toys. From what I've seen the 'premium' brands are a better quality but tend to be priced with few options.
At the start of our search we were looking at a 2.0L TFSI Q2, that has proved to be a bit small and I've lots with "little old ladies" in :) The Q3 is a very old model now and to be replaced later this year. The new Q5 from 2017 can come with a 250bhp petrol Quattro setup.
If you're happy with diesel the options broaden and I suspect the offers do too as many dealers are having trouble shifting stock.
Don't forget the newer road fund rules mean anything over £40K will suffer an enhanced charge for a few years ;)
If you are however not look at the premium brands then pretty much everyone has an SUV type vehicle from Dacia upwards LoL.
Andi.

My current car is my first diesel, and I'm very happy with it (320D)

I hear what you're saying about the anti-diesel stuff going on at the moment. I understand buying a car is simply a depreciating asset whatever I go with, but I feel this might be exacerbated if I decide to pick a new(ish) diesel rather than a petrol.

Or I could just hang on to the 320D until hybrids become more cost-effective.

Associate
We tried quite a few different ones (Mazda CX-5, Skoda Karoq/Seat Ateca - basically a Tiguan, BMW X1, Ford Kuga, and a couple others) and I hated every single one of them. Couldn't get on with sitting so high up.
Our preference of petrol and manual ruled out a lot of options too.

Fortunately after trying them all, we tried a Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, which was faster, cheaper, no less economical (despite the bigger engine) more practical (easier to lift stuff in and out of, bigger boot, etc) and a hell of a lot nicer to drive.

If you put a gun to my head and MADE me get one then I'd go with the Karoq, because it was the most comfortable and good price/spec.

Back
Top Bottom