*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Once your contract runs out are you eligible for new customer prices online?

My 9 months at £18 switched to £35 last month for 100Mb. I can either wait two months or start a new 12 month contract at £35 for a speed bump to 150Mb.

I won't phone up to haggle tbh.
I believe so yes. When I spoke to my local rep, he advised me to wait until the day my contract was due to expire, then call up and he would set me up as a new account. However, I just ended up using the online chat and asked them what renewal deals they had. It was less hassle and they still sorted me out with a good deal on another 12month contract.

Also, about a month later they changed the mid-tier package to 150 symmetrical. So again I spoke to them via web chat and they just upped my speed FOC, it just reset my 12-month period. Happy days :)

Soldato
I believe so yes. When I spoke to my local rep, he advised me to wait until the day my contract was due to expire, then call up and he would set me up as a new account. However, I just ended up using the online chat and asked them what renewal deals they had. It was less hassle and they still sorted me out with a good deal on another 12month contract.

Also, about a month later they changed the mid-tier package to 150 symmetrical. So again I spoke to them via web chat and they just upped my speed FOC, it just reset my 12-month period. Happy days :)

Thanks, I'll try the online chat in a couple of months.

Soldato
Anyone know which routers support a /31 subnet mask?

Turns out my TP-Link AC1350 doesn't.

Doesn't even get 150Mbps in bridge mode. Stuck at 100Mbps.

I need an AC capable router at least as good as the TP-Link AC1350 without breaking the bank.

Soldato
I'm on the verge of ordering either the 150MB or 1GB package for my apartment in central Manchester - currently swaying more towards the former as I just can't see myself making full use of the latter. What's the Hyperoptic supplied router like? Worth swapping to something better?

No requirement for multiple SSID's or anything spectacular networking wise - however I do have a mixture of wired (PC) and wireless devices (phones/tablets/laptops etc). All of which are spread out across multiple rooms, so the strength of wireless might be an issue.

Soldato
I'm on the verge of ordering either the 150MB or 1GB package for my apartment in central Manchester - currently swaying more towards the former as I just can't see myself making full use of the latter. What's the Hyperoptic supplied router like? Worth swapping to something better?

No requirement for multiple SSID's or anything spectacular networking wise - however I do have a mixture of wired (PC) and wireless devices (phones/tablets/laptops etc). All of which are spread out across multiple rooms, so the strength of wireless might be an issue.

I found the router okay for the limited time I used it.

If you're using your own router directly attached to the ethernet socket Hyperoptic provide, then it'll need to support /31 (255.255.255.254) subnet mask on the WAN port, so best to check this out first.

I do recommend using your own router though, as one thing I did notice was that Hyperoptic's DNS server is quite slow - it would often hang when searching, but once it connected it would load instantly.

Edit: if you're using your own router you can of course connect it to the hyperoptic one

Associate

I live in central manchester and have recently got the 1gbit service. To be honest, I've got to confess, I only really notice the extra speed when I'm actively waiting for a large download, which is seldom. Case in point, if I power on my gaming PC to play some games, and there's a 4GB patch to download first. I'd suggest looking initially at the 150mbit service; you can always upgrade if you want (and they'd obviously be delighted with a phone call to them which goes "I want to spend more money with you, please can you make it happen?")

Would you like a referral code? It knocks £50 off your (and my) bill if you use it.

Associate
Oh and I've got the previous ZTE router; they now supply a Tilgin one. From what I gather, both of them are relatively standard 'free included router'; pretty okayish wifi, otherwise they do the job. However if you're planning anything more than just plugging a couple of devices in to ethernet, and having a few wifi devices, you might find yourself looking at decent wifi access points, or a better router. I've got Unifi kit, and am looking at a new router!

Caporegime
I've pushed about 3-400Mbps through the bundled ZTE router over Wi-Fi according to Speedtest, when cabled in that number is around 780Mbps.

I can't see the argument for taking the 1Gbps service over the 150Mbps and saving some money - both are very quick. As above, if you are regularly downloading 30GB+ patches for games then you might appreciate the increased speeds, but it's unlikely outside of that. Even at a mere 150Mbps you're still going to be able to pull down a GB every minute.

Soldato
I found the router okay for the limited time I used it.

If you're using your own router directly attached to the ethernet socket Hyperoptic provide, then it'll need to support /31 (255.255.255.254) subnet mask on the WAN port, so best to check this out first.

I do recommend using your own router though, as one thing I did notice was that Hyperoptic's DNS server is quite slow - it would often hang when searching, but once it connected it would load instantly.

Edit: if you're using your own router you can of course connect it to the hyperoptic one

I would prefer a router/modem, something like the Netgear Nighthawks. Anything you have in mind?

Soldato
I've only used mine with Google WiFi, so can't comment on anything else.

Tbh any of the top end routers will be decent.

As you're in a flat, I can't imagine you'd need a mesh system, so something like the Nighthawk would likely do you very well :)

Soldato
This is NOT a referral!

I am looking for a Hyperoptic GIGABIT customer I can rent their line and some electricity for about 3 days. I need to sync all my data to my cloud backup storage. Will pay handsomely ;) Please contact me!!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom