Low system boiler pressure but no filling loop

Associate
Just bought our first house

I bled one radiator that had quite a bit of air in it. Immediately the boiler pressure dropped too low with a low pressure code. Am used to seeing a traditional braided filling loop on all boilers I've ever used but not on this one.

It's a 4 year old Baxi system boiler and I can't see where to repressurise it, checked under the sink and airing cupboard too.

If it's common not to have a filling loop, how can I do this?

Associate
OP
Ours (different make) doesn’t have a separate fill loop. Instead there’s a tap under the front of the boiler for topping up.
From searching youtube I saw what might have been the taps (2 x black plastic finger tight) that might have worked. But didn't....they move a quarter turn but don't do jack when you operate them.
Look at the manual online if you not got a paper one. It will show you how to yop it up.

And we have the manual, it's quite vague in it's description of the loop but does say it needs adding at the installation stage.

I just never come across a boiler without one?

Associate
Could it be that it has the connectors for the filling loop but just not the braided hose part? I think the instructions suggest removing the braided part when not in use (even though most people inc. me leave it attached).

Associate
OP
Could it be that it has the connectors for the filling loop but just not the braided hose part? I think the instructions suggest removing the braided part when not in use (even though most people inc. me leave it attached).
Chuck a picture up of the boiler/setup, it could be linked directly into the water supply?
I'm away from the property now for a couple of weeks at least - wish I'd taken a piccy at the time.
There was one 'rotary adjuster' on the pipe that I've never seen on a boiler before. That also did nothing while turning.
It's possible the black taps I referred needed the braiding pipe attaching. One of these taps broke as I tried twisting, it just came apart in my hand. From what was left afterwards I'm not sure this would allow a pipe to connect.

I've attached a pic of my old boiler just to show the type of black taps I mean - these are the same 'taps' on the new boiler.
IMG_20180419_115122.jpg

Associate
Mine is a baxi, around the same age, and I have an extremely minor leak somewhere which after a month or two, tends to mean I repressure the boiler slightly.

I also have those two taps underneath, infact I think I have three, but I understood they control the flow through the pipe that sits behind it.

What I also have, are two round black plastic threaded taps (look like the lid on a water bottle) that can be turned in either direction, you need a piece of pipe in connected between these two, and then open the left side to start the flow, then the right one to allow the water in, this will then pressurise the boiler which will kick it in to life.

Be interesting to know whether you have the same :)

Associate
OP
Am pretty sure there weren't any other caps/taps attached to the boiler :(
Both the heat and water feeds had some red stopcock style wheels which I didn't touch.

Other than that there wasn't much else to it. For a newish boiler I thought it strange not to have anything else about it.

Caporegime
With my old combi, I had to undo a couple of blanking nuts like in your picture, connect one to the other using a braided flexi hose tap connector style thing, then open up two little black taps like in your pic.

Also the system should be off when you're bleeding rads and filling.

Back
Top Bottom