graphics card and procesor

Associate
Hi all,

My last PC was built 6 years ago and its time for a bit of an upgrade, I'm a bit out of touch with all the various options these days so was hoping for some advise. Below are the specs of my current set up and im looking to improve graphics card and procesor...here's the kicker budget is a small £250

i would like to improve gaming quality, but its not the deal breaker. If i was to look at something like

NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050

would that work with my current MB?

ati phenom (. AMD Bulldozer FX 8120
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P
12GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 (3 x 4Gb)
Integrated Sound Card
XIGMATEK SCORPION HDT-S1283 COOLER
60Gb SSD SATA Solid state hard drive
500GB SATA Hard Drive SATA 3
ATI HD 7770 (1024MB PCI Express DDR DVI)
CiT Saturn Midi Tower Gaming Case with 2 x Red LED Fans
CiT 600W Gold Edition PSU

Appreciate any feed back guys and girls

Ty

Soldato
With a budget like that bud theres not much you can do.... As your system is DDR3 theres not much to upgrade to, DDR4 is the next step but that would mean changing basically everything in your system, RAM/Motherboard/CPU so youll need more than £250

Im pretty sure the 1050 will slot straight into your board no hassle and will be a big difference to your current card, On the other hand if its only your GPU your looking to upgrade then maybe a used GTX970 for £150ish

Soldato
gtx 1050 would give a much needed boost! although AMD new ryzen really does wipe the floor with FX cpus , specially at 1080p

thought i'd try a different approach to get CPU & GPU upgraded in one ! Vega 11 in the 2400G is between gtx 1030 and 1050 in power - more closer to 1030 but still better then current HD 7770 you have.

also ryzen 2400 is true 4 core and 8 thread beast. the FX isn't technically 8 cores, more like 4 and was a poor design

Below gives you the option to chuck in a GPU at later stages in life, or even 3rd gen ryzen core either new or seond hand in 2-4 ears time :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £287.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

just a different approach to updating the whole sum

ryzen 1200 which is a 4 core 4 thread vs FX 8350 which is one up from yours . Not the perfect comparison , but shows you even with GPU update, CPU is lagging still

Soldato
^^ This is definitely a good step forward from your older platform, Atleast with the integrated GPU on these CPU's you can do some gaming while you save up for a GPU at a later date... Like Orbital has said its onboard GPU is between a 1030 and 1050 and thats still great performance from an onboard GPU... I had a GT1030 in my Ryzen build for a few months and was loving it, for a budget GPU it does run well

Soldato
all you need for that system with that budget is

Total: £240.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Total: £249.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

:D

though again, losing FPS on the CPU

Soldato
Total: £249.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)

:D

though again, losing FPS on the CPU

smart arse ha, i did think of a 3gb 1060, but i didnt want to skimp on the power supply either and i doubt that nurf version be a big improvement over the 1050ti, but knowing from my own experience, its certainly handy to have 4gb vram, suppose if OP wanted to play ghost recon wildlands for example, high/very high preset will be possible at 2.3 & 2.7gb usage, admittingly none of the games ive been testing so far have used more than 3gb vram unless i try push ultra/epic. rb6s needs a whopping 6.? gb vram for max setting :eek:

Associate
OP
so you think my current processor is OK for the time, upgrade to a better graphics card and cooler will give decent results? then look at a Ryzen later perhaps?

Soldato
whats your monitor ? would personally side with going APU due to nvidia range out Q3 and i believe AMD Q4 (didnt pay any attention ) , so would wait to see current GPUs return to normal price of flood second hand market - means you can also pick up a decent 450w PSU :D

also what res you gaming at?

Associate
OP
Jeez, im so out of touch!

I have no idea what res im gaming at. monitor is Asus VE247H.

Frankly after doing some reading its -blam-ing ridiculous the amount of options there are. I don't know how a user is supposed to understand all the different crap. Didn't seem this difficult 10 years ago.

Soldato
Damn good PSU and chip, but PSU is tad over kill unless you plan on Nvidia **70/80 series of cards. Formula 450w will cover **60 series of cards nicely . But 550 will allow you to splash out on cad performance in the future

Total: £354.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
OP
So if i went Ryzen 5, formula 450 PSU and kept current ram and motherboard that should give me the boost i require? The motherboard you suggest is something id require if i was to go DDR4, correct?

Soldato
So if i went Ryzen 5, formula 450 PSU and kept current ram and motherboard that should give me the boost i require? The motherboard you suggest is something id require if i was to go DDR4, correct?

You'll need to full package listed above . Different socket and animal all together

Might be able to sell off your current core components as a bundle or least flog the ram :)

Associate
OP
Damn! so much to think about. perhaps a stretch of budget is required or just wait for a new system...then be back to ask again :D

Appreciate your advice people, thanks you

Soldato
Damn! so much to think about. perhaps a stretch of budget is required or just wait for a new system...then be back to ask again :D

Appreciate your advice people, thanks you

no worries, why i think of the APU package- gets your a core system better then current and future proof - with being able to have GPU added at later point, but the internal GPU offering better performance then your current GPU

Associate
I'd be inclined to go used at that budget, except for the psu, should be able to get a 550-600w "80+ bronze" branded for around £40

Something like a used 4th gen i5 mobo/cpu/ram (16gb ideally) combo, could probably get for around £150.

Then add a used gpu, something like a R9 280x for around £80.

I'm a bit out of date too, but my wife uses a spec like the above and it runs things pretty well at 1080p in mid-high settings.

Back
Top Bottom