False Advertisement - Paid with PayPal

Associate
Hey GD

So essentially a guy I know pinged me a message a couple of weeks ago asking me to fire up a modded minecraft server for him and his friends.

I got it from a place called theminecrafthosting, which on their website, they advertise an uptime of 99.99%.

I keep getting an issue with it in which it tells me there's not enough RAM to start the server (8GB should be reserved for it), whenever I check the log file it shows how much RAM the server has, how much is used and how much is free, which is well below 8GB.

I've contacted their support and they basically don't respond until the server is up, and then fire back saying "Hi there, I can see that your server is up and running." every time, not resolving my issue (Way below 99.99% uptime).

Is it worth disputing on PayPal to see if they will reverse the charge will it go nowhere?

Associate
OP
Have you raise this with them directly?

Yeah and each time they just say something along the lines of "I can see your server is up and running" or "I understand but that issue was not from us, I checked your server and it was online." (Even though the log file states it is the host server out of memory - happy to provide this if needs be)

Soldato
make notes (take screenshots too) of the dates and times and for how long its offline.

if they are claiming 99.9% uptime then you can prove it isnt

screenshot all their bs and server logs

then send them that and say you want a refund

dont wait weeks on end for the refund though as paypal has an expiry date for refunds, cant remember from top of my head how long it is

Associate
OP
make notes (take screenshots too) of the dates and times and for how long its offline.

if they are claiming 99.9% uptime then you can prove it isnt

screenshot all their bs and server logs

then send them that and say you want a refund

dont wait weeks on end for the refund though as paypal has an expiry date for refunds, cant remember from top of my head how long it is

Will do this, thanks - I've calculated for it to have a 99.99% uptime as advertised, the max downtime they can have is 2 minutes for the duration I've had the server, which they've blown right over this.

Associate
OP
Raised with the seller through paypal who essentially said "Because you used the service we're not refunding you, close your dispute within 24 hours or we will cancel your service and not give a refund" - Escalated to paypal to see what they say.

Associate
OP
Sounds like the memory is over provisioned (they sell more than they have knowing not every customer will be using it all the time) so the server cannot physically get the memory to start.

It's exactly this. Here's two parts from the one of thousands of logs:

# There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.
# Native memory allocation (mmap) failed to map 2863136768 bytes for committing reserved memory.
# Possible reasons:
# The system is out of physical RAM or swap space
# In 32 bit mode, the process size limit was hit
# Possible solutions:
# Reduce memory load on the system
# Increase physical memory or swap space

/proc/meminfo:
MemTotal: 65929972 kB
MemFree: 361400 kB

And here's what they said:

XZy4ggf.png

Vl8twHe.png