Tabletop Warhammer?

Associate
To try and revive, some medium, thinner and water will help break it up. Add a stainless steel ball bearing and use an electric shaker for nail polish to speed up the mixing process. If that doesn't bring it back then just buy new ones.

For medium just check Amazon or Hobbycraft for artists acrylic medium (gloss or matte) and get it much cheaper. I get 500ml bottles for around £8. I also use flow improver for airbrush and brush painting.

Flow improver - helps paint flow without discolouration or changing transparency.

Thinner - Will thin paint and make it more transparent. May cause some colourshift.

Medium - Will maintain thinkness/flow but will make paint more transparent.

Paints are basically coloured particles suspended in clear medium. Lahmium and other mediums are just the backing product without the particles.

For working longer projects I would also suggest some retarder which acts as a medium but slows drying time allowing you to wet blend longer or work with the paint longer. Also helps when using on a wet palette to keep everything moving nicely.

Man of Honour
I find best consistency finder as follows - add water to point to the point where it STARTS to bubble with your brush when mixing (I.e visible air bubbles on the pallets). At this point it is too thin. Add more paint until it stops doing this. At that point, it’s ideal - goes on smooth and good coverage. You will need multi coats though. Just my 2ps from limited experience.

Soldato
Couldn't believe there's a Games Workshop in my town now.
Went there and was like a kid in a candy store, except it was a really expensive candy store since I came out £60 lighter!

But I'm now the proud owner of some Ork Nobz!
Cleaning and putting together a model now, gonna undercoat it and hopefully get to painting it on the weekend.

Associate
Well my Big Box O'Tau turned up and finally let me put some more 3D printed parts to use. Treated myself to a Stormsurge build first. I lost my printed top cover plate so have ordered another which will cover the cockpit for an enclosed look. Happy overall and think it is much better than the original design as I just didn't like the armless chicken style.

I'll be aiming to get paint on next week when the part arrives and gets glued in place.

y4m_Ji1BxHcbXzzf2HKSiKae8jufHyYd981iHcmdUxXLm6jzdnWEGLr3pIGtjH5HAmQctB91CUpMTWYiGhTKpiNL1bowoJU1rWM4LpeyuaM6JpuS_bL2DPcGDghceteN7k0s_u02Zzt0e0pEOwVb_nOjqN6CNUiB4svq9ONYv7b2KcrpzP02FybqlkpMgsywcZ2kjKX6EckZ5jyiZfsbovqSQ

Soldato
Starting painting my Ork today, just the base layer of the skin and shading, waiting for it to dry now.

I now remember why I used to paint THEN assemble the model, right pain in the butt to reach some places.

Commissario
I popped down to Salute today with some friends and picked up a "get started Nurgle" set (to bolster my daemons, and go with the khorne and tzeench ones I bought recently), and some stunning looking "colour change" paints which I think will look stunning on Tzeench models, I'm thinking of trying to use them on my screamers.

Soldato
Anyone use a wet palette, home made or otherwise?
Getting tired of how quickly this paint dries.

Yeah. It helps for sure. I used to use baking paper over kitchen roll but went to a painting course and the guy suggested putting the paper over a sponge, which I find better still. Both help either way. It's nice having your mixed paints ready whenever you need them.

Man of Honour
I haven’t posted in here for what seems like ages but working my way through some space wolves and it is truly taking forever. Gruelling!!! Just want to play with the things lol

Soldato
Yeah. It helps for sure. I used to use baking paper over kitchen roll but went to a painting course and the guy suggested putting the paper over a sponge, which I find better still. Both help either way. It's nice having your mixed paints ready whenever you need them.

I use a takeaway tub. Cut some cellulose sponge cloth things (thinner than a sponge, but spongey still) and use baking paper cut to size. Can get three sheets of baking paper from one length if you cut it right too.

Soldato
I'm feeling ready to have another attempt at one of my necromunda models as I've improved a little but still daunted by the thought of tackling the eyes.

Any of you guys got tips for painting eyes?

Soldato
I'm feeling ready to have another attempt at one of my necromunda models as I've improved a little but still daunted by the thought of tackling the eyes.

Any of you guys got tips for painting eyes?

Eyes are difficult, but...

do the eyes first, then paint the face.

Can work quite well. I often paint the eyes black, then paint (two coats) smaller whites within the black. Do a line, rather than a dot, sometimes easier.

Soldato
I've also had reasonable success with painting the eye area white, then Nuln Oil to sink into the recesses, then white then use a thinned black paint for the centres (usually a line).

Back
Top Bottom