A strange smell in one room has returned after not smelling it for 5 month..

Soldato
Hi guys,

We moved into this house back in October last year. The house smelt particularly bad but looking at the state of the house and the previous owners, we put it down to that originally. Over October and November we gutted the house, lifted all carpets and underlay put down fresh carpets and underay right through the place. Redecorated rooms, plastered ceilings, fresh paint and rads throug out etc etc. Gradually the smell went from the house but remained in one bedroom a little longer. Around Xmas the smell totally left the house and we thought nothing more of it, until today. It' back again in the same bedroom but only in that one room. It's in our second bedroom. There is no smell in the loft above that bedroom. The bedroom is above the lounge which does have a fireplace which hasn't been used for years, I thought maybe the chimney brest or flu might be the cause but there is zero smell when I move the fire out and stick my head in the chimney so that rules out that. The smell just seems to be in that one room. When the Windows are open it doesn't blow the smell away either. I wouldn' call it a damp mouldy smell, but I've no idea what kinda smell to describe it as.

What can I do? Who would you suggest I call to figure out what in God's name this smell is and why it is back again? I guess it could be linked to the warm weather maybe?

It's really bothering me now not knowing what it is, who to call and how to get rid of it.

mjd

mjd

Associate
Without some sort of idea as to what it smells of, I can see your problem. Personally I wouldn't entertain getting anyone in until you can describe what it smells like.

Is the smell stronger at any particular part of the room - at the floor, ceiling, one wall?

I don't think sniffing around at the fireplace on the ground floor necessarily rules out a problem further up.

Is the chimney capped?
Has the chimney been swept recently?
Any chance something has crawled in and died?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It hasn't been smelling for 4 or 5 months though guys, surely if it was a dead animal it would have been smelling 24/7. And 7+ months surely any animal would have decomposed completely by now. There' also no flies around at all.

Regarding chimney, it is capped. It's not an open fire brickwork chimney, it's got one of those metal caps on the very top so I doubt any animal could get in.

There is no smell at all in the loft directly above the bedroom.

Regarding describing a smell, that's a tough one. It' definitely not a damp smell. Definitely not a dead smell either. Maybe it's a bit musty/woody.

The smell is strongest closest to the window but now it' starting to spread into the upstairs hallway. Opening Windows does not get rid of it.

Last edited:

gEd

gEd

Associate
I guess the warm weather has warmed up whatever the source of the smell is.
Rotting window sill or frame perhaps?
are the walls in that room papered or paint on plaster?
Is the smell stronger near the floor under the window?
bizarre really...
The problem is that I find your nose can shut down after a while and you stop being able to detect the smell. Our semi-basement has an odour related to a small bit of damp. When we come back from a holiday or weekend away, it is easy to smell but 24 hours later, your brain has filtered it out.

Soldato
OP
Strangely, the smell in that room has totally gone, we closed the window this evening to try and really pin point where It was smelling strongest. I did smell the frame earlier but nothing, no strengthening of smell up close.

The room is painted on walls. New carpet, underlay, radiator and furniture.

Soldato
OP
Still no smell today at all. We kept the Windows and blinds closed since last night thinking the smell might be coming in to that room only from that corner of the house. Annoyingly the sun isn' shining here today, I reckon it' something to do with the heat as the sun moves around to the back of the house around 3pm. I kinda recall only smelling it in the evening yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom