Can I get done by unmarked police?

Soldato
Driving along the motorway this morning fairly empty come to a 50 zone so slowed down going through that part and then accelerated quite hard once I got through it just to get back up to speed. At this point I noticed a car behind me that followed me into the outside lane keeping quite close to me. I moved over and then overtook a few more cars further along that were just plodding along only to see this same car close to me again. I moved over again to the middle lane to let this car past but it kept driving in the outside almost along side me for ages. When I looked these 2 guys in normal clothes were glaring at me and then the passenger held his wallet thing with his badge up to the window to show they were police. Then proceeded to shout slow down while the driver was also shouting something in a fairly aggressive manner.
I put my hand up and slowed down but I wasn’t exactly doing anything overly excessive in terms of speed. They done the same thing to another guy further up in the outside lane that was making good progress.
So they obviously were not traffic police as they would have pulled me but can normal unmarked police who still have dashcams etc report me for prosecution?

Don
I'm inclined to say that since they didn't pull you over that they could even have been a pair of prats getting off playing at being police.

Even if they were police, you won't likely hear anything of it.

Man of Honour
Could have been been police, could have been tools, could have been both but nothing to worry about. They would have pulled you and my experience is that most coppers when off duty will do anything to hide the fact they are plod so probably plain clothes going from A to B.....or d heads trying it on but nothing to concern yourself about.

Associate
How would they prove that you'd been speeding or breaking traffic laws? I'd imagine if you were likely to face any charges they would have pulled you over instead of mouthing warnings at you.

Man of Honour
Sounds a bit dubious to me - when I've seen similar happen before they've pulsed their lights briefly to show they are police (assuming they were in an unmarked car) - anyone can hold a badge up to a window.

Associate
If they don't have calibrated speed cameras they can pull you over but can't prosecute ( even if marked car) - no proof.
Of course if they pulled you they would say it was dangerous driving (which is worse potentially).

I was offered an awareness course for having my mobile phone in my hand ( not using to call but music kept playing out of it when i connected my earpiece so i kept stopping it), i was pulled by an unmarked car but very obviously police officers inside the car.

Soldato
Could be a couple of off duty coppers being prats, A few years ago Myself and a few mates had a run in with some in our town, the way the spoke to us was disgusting and local plod arrived soon after as someone called them, The two off duty were threatening to have licenses revoke and suchlike but in the end the local saw how in professional they were and sent them on their way, Nothing ever come of it.

Soldato
If they don't have a uniform on they aren't likely to be traffic cops. So most likely just giving you a short telling off as they fly by to chase some terrorists.

Last edited:
Soldato
Slightly on topic; saw a Mclaren 720S pulled over by an unmarked Volvo XC90 today, I'd be gutted if that were me. I'd have never expected it to be police myself.

Soldato
many moons ago an undercover Zafira gave me a flash of his blue lights when I was making demonstrating the flame throwing abilities of my R33 GTR, I slowed down and pulled into middle lane where he then pulled alongside and gave me a slow down hand signal and that was that.

Also been stopped by CID and firearms officers, must be something about my driving...

either way, dont think you are in any trouble.

Soldato
OP
They were definitely real police they were driving an unmarked Hyundai estate which is what most of the normal plod drive around here.
Thanks for the replies anyway I had a quick google before posting on here and some replies on other forums were saying they can still send a nip through the post if they think I was driving at an excessive speed because all police cars have a dash cams etc and they seemed to be driving along side me for quite a while before warning me so was worried they could still report me.

Soldato
Slightly on topic; saw a Mclaren 720S pulled over by an unmarked Volvo XC90 today, I'd be gutted if that were me. I'd have never expected it to be police myself.

TBH if I see any relatively new and mundane looking coming up behind me quickly I slow down if I'm over the limit. Anything more than a few years old or sporty, no problem :p

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I undertook an unmarked on motorway, and pulled in about 4 cars ahead. The cars behind me disappeared into other lanes, then I saw the lights come on. Bricked it, moved into the middle lane, they bombed past me waving their hands down in a 'slow down' fashion. I'm sure they could've pulled me over, but they probably had bigger fish to fry and I would imagine that is the case most of the time.

Associate
I had a slight run-in with an unmarked Ford Focus at the top of the A3.
I had kind of spotted that they had some sort of uniform (duuuh) but I stupidly thought they were traffic wardens or something.

Anyway, a Mini had been driving inconsistently, and I wanted to get away from it.
Moved to lane 3, and the Mini starts to speed up as I overtake.
Hardly any other traffic around.
Raised eyebrows, drop a couple of gears and I am past, but now the Focus is lit up like a Christmas Tree of blue lights and gaining on me rapidly.
I ease off, pull into lane 1, Focus pulls alongside, and the uniformed driver gives me a stern look and makes “slow down” motion.
Fair do’s, I hold up a hand and apologise.
Focus goes steaming off.

Soldato
They were definitely real police they were driving an unmarked Hyundai estate which is what most of the normal plod drive around here.
Thanks for the replies anyway I had a quick google before posting on here and some replies on other forums were saying they can still send a nip through the post if they think I was driving at an excessive speed because all police cars have a dash cams etc and they seemed to be driving along side me for quite a while before warning me so was worried they could still report me.

Technically, even an off duty officer can prosecute you. In reality however, it's very unlikely. Unless you doing something pretty serious.

nah, they weren't in uniform so even if they'd wanted to then they'd not be able to for the purpose of enforcing traffic laws

There's no requirement to be in uniform for most traffic offences. That's a myth.

Caporegime
Associate
If they don't have calibrated speed cameras they can pull you over but can't prosecute ( even if marked car) - no proof.
Of course if they pulled you they would say it was dangerous driving (which is worse potentially).

I was offered an awareness course for having my mobile phone in my hand ( not using to call but music kept playing out of it when i connected my earpiece so i kept stopping it), i was pulled by an unmarked car but very obviously police officers inside the car.

I’m not sure where you got that from..

Back
Top Bottom