Associate
I'm thinking of purchasing a new TV for the livingroom of our house, so it'll be used mainly for general tv watching and then gaming for myself.

Are there any recommendations?

I've made a little list of ones that interested me:

LG 55UJ670V
Samsung UE55MU6400UXXU
Panasonic TX-50EX700B
Sony Bravia KD55XE7002

Although I'm also thinking about whether to just bite the bullet and get an LG 55SJ850V

What does everyone think of these?

Man of Honour
The LG 55UJ670V is not great. Sorry. The panel brightness is poor compared to the other models listed, and being an IPS panel means that blacks are grey/blue compared to the VA panels in the Panasonic and Samsung. (Sony uses a mix of IPS and VA panels depending on which model you're looking at.)

All LG TVs use IPS. That's what LG makes. In isolation you may be perfectly satisfied, particularly if a wide viewing angle is essential to you. However, the panel brightness issue puts a damper on things a bit. If you need the viewing angle, go for the Sony.

The 55SJ850V has similar brightness and black level issues. It's also reported to have brightness uniformity issues. I get the impression that compared to other edge-lit LED TVs, LG are economising on the number of LED lights around the panel edge. That, or their diffuser is carp at spreading the light without killing the light power or making it look patchy.

Man of Honour
Hmm, so LG is a no go then. What about the Samsung UE55MU7000TXXU?

The TV market is incredibly competitive; and I mean almost suicidally competitive. You've only to look at the pricing of the TVs in your first post. There's £20 separating three of them, and only £50 between the bottom and top priced products.

LG offers what it thinks is the best value proposition. They're generally pitched at the lowest cost point in a main brand group, and yet have a better headline spec for features. You get Web OS, voice control, gesture control, a Freesat HD tuner. Other products have some of those features, but generally not all at the same price point.

The market being what it is though, it's true to say you get what you pay for. LG gives you a lot of bells and whistles but some of the fundamental TV performance is sacrificed as a result. I'm of the opinion that that additional features are nice, but the TV has to perform as a device for making good looking pictures first. I don't buy the extras if the telly is carp at being a display.

That said, if your previous TV experience is with a Vestel/UMC-type badged product; say a Sharp or Toshiba or Hitachi, then the LG would probably represent a step up. It's all relative.

The Samsung UE55MU7000TXXU is a definite step up in panel performance. It's a native 120Hz panel versus the native 50Hz panels of the TVs in your first group. Have a look at the reviews online from HDTVTest

Associate
OP
The TV market is incredibly competitive; and I mean almost suicidally competitive. You've only to look at the pricing of the TVs in your first post. There's £20 separating three of them, and only £50 between the bottom and top priced products.

LG offers what it thinks is the best value proposition. They're generally pitched at the lowest cost point in a main brand group, and yet have a better headline spec for features. You get Web OS, voice control, gesture control, a Freesat HD tuner. Other products have some of those features, but generally not all at the same price point.

The market being what it is though, it's true to say you get what you pay for. LG gives you a lot of bells and whistles but some of the fundamental TV performance is sacrificed as a result. I'm of the opinion that that additional features are nice, but the TV has to perform as a device for making good looking pictures first. I don't buy the extras if the telly is carp at being a display.

That said, if your previous TV experience is with a Vestel/UMC-type badged product; say a Sharp or Toshiba or Hitachi, then the LG would probably represent a step up. It's all relative.

The Samsung UE55MU7000TXXU is a definite step up in panel performance. It's a native 120Hz panel versus the native 50Hz panels of the TVs in your first group. Have a look at the reviews online from HDTVTest
To be honest I was going from a Sony 50W829B, looking for something that had a good colour gamut, contrasting colours etc.
Before then I had an LG that was amazing but it broke so got the Sony instead but it just didn't match the brighter colours of the LG, that's why I thought maybe the nano cell tech in the LG maybe what I was looking for.
It is quite frustrating how many different varieties of Tv's there are now that it really takes a long time to make any form of judgement on one, before now it was much easier, look at a few reviews and your sorted haha.
I think the Samsung MU7000 has my eye now, just hoping it has the colours I'm looking for :p

Associate
I've been looking for a TV for a while and most them seem to have particular problems like light bleed,banding,slow OS etc.
You can pick holes in any TV nowadays even Oleds.
I wanted wider viewing angles so think i have settled on the LG 49SJ800V.It has a 120HZ IPS panel so should offer better viewing angles.
Got John Lewis to price match as would prefer dealing with them if any problems.This is the lowest price the TV has been for a while.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/lg-49sj800v.html

Back
Top Bottom