50-50 willed house to me and Bro, but who owns Train collection ?

Soldato
OP, ignore people who haven't realised that your disabled brother isn't the same as the younger brother who has a half share in the house.

Your sister who just went on an £8k cruise but won't pay her fair share of your disabled brothers care fees needs to be told where to go. That is grossly unfair and you shouldn't stand for it, unless there are some circumstances you aren't telling us.

Your younger brother who thinks he's entitled to this present that was bequeathed to your disabled brother can also do one, given he's skimping too. I would work out how much short your younger brother is in care fees i.e. £20 multiplied by number of months he's been paying £20 instead of £40. This is then money he owes you directly. If that is less than the value of the trains, he gets half minus that. If it's more than the value, you can tell him directly to get stuffed.

Soldato
I'm going with have some sort of train setup for your disabled brother, either using some of the expensive ones or getting a 'normal'set (I don't mean to sound horrible but I don't know how durable trains are). You could sell the remains parts to give him a better standard of living t.v. lazyee boy (spelling) etc and possibly top up his fees for a bit (although possibly just your contribution as it sounds like everyone's getting off easy compared to you).

Soldato
Ok, well it seems most people in this thread (not all) think I should sell and put the money.proceeds towards my brothers care. Ill unilaterally make my decisions and not bother my family on this issue. Ill probably save the conventional train sets I brought my disabled brother over the last 3 christmases (he still believes in Santa you know :) and sell the expensive stuff to fund for his care, not necessarily “Top-up” fees but some nice accessories for his bedroom.

He doesn’t have a telly yet, so that will be first on the agenda. And with some old dvds and videos of programmes (mainly Gerry Anderson’s thunderbirds etc and model railway videos) as At this time hes got the tv on in the main large room itself, and records in the background playing old war-songs looping round. My disabled brother wouldn’t like that TBH but more of a selection of DVDS/videos (yes, still got an old video recorder) that he can watch at any time. Issues here though are that they can’t monitor my brother as much when he’s in his bedrooom, compared to the main room itself.

Thanks.
Good choice, best of luck and hope it all works out.

Associate
OP
OP, ignore people who haven't realised that your disabled brother isn't the same as the younger brother who has a half share in the house.

Your sister who just went on an £8k cruise but won't pay her fair share of your disabled brothers care fees needs to be told where to go. That is grossly unfair and you shouldn't stand for it, unless there are some circumstances you aren't telling us.

Your younger brother who thinks he's entitled to this present that was bequeathed to your disabled brother can also do one, given he's skimping too. I would work out how much short your younger brother is in care fees i.e. £20 multiplied by number of months he's been paying £20 instead of £40. This is then money he owes you directly. If that is less than the value of the trains, he gets half minus that. If it's more than the value, you can tell him directly to get stuffed.

Hi dl888

Well my disabled brother (though mentally handicapped is a better definition with severe epilepsy) went in to the home June 6th last year, so that’s about £1100 Ive paid so far, verus £660 for all my 3 siblings combined. ill have to warn them that care homes DO go up, and the top-up-fees too (which is what it says in the contract).

Thanks.

Soldato
Let me get this straight:

• You have two brothers, one of which is disabled.
  • Your disabled brother used to live with your father but since your father died now lives in a care home.
  • While caring for your disabled brother your father bought him toy trains and built a railway for the two of them to play with.
  • When your father died his house was inherited 50/50 by you and the non-disabled brother.
  • Your non-disabled brother has discovered your disabled brothers trains are worth money and wants half that cheddar.

Solution: Tell him to **** off, sell the disabled brothers train collection to a collector on his behalf and use the money for his care and to make his life better.

Caporegime
Don't think the 50/50 comments are fair comments at all - does the fact that it was in the house really have any bearing on this?

Surely the relevant bit is that he intended it to be left to your disabled brother who doesn't have a share of the house... surely the right thing to do (assuming none of you are into railway stuff and would want first dibs at market value) would be to sell the collection to collectors at a fair price and the proceeds go into the disabled brother's name... or indeed just give them to the disabled brother if he's into trains etc..

+1

The OP has not helped matters at all in the way he has described the situation tbh.

So there are 5 siblings.

2 of which got the house plus equal share of the cash.

3 of which just got equal share of cash and no house they effectively got less than the above 2 as they never got equal share in house as they got nothing in the house.

I'm thinking your dad wanted the house to go to you because you used to look after disabled brother. Which IMO seems right. You should get more if you were and are looking after him. Therefore I'm unsure why your other brother who isn't disabled was added. Did both of you get on with him more than the other siblings, etc?

Now he is in a home and he got nothing but cash but the trains were bought for him. IMO your disabled brother owns all of the trains.

IMO to do things fairly, you would need to split the house 5 ways, the cash 5 ways but the contents if they were intended for 1 person would be theirs alone.

The fact your younger brother got 50% of the house and equal share of cash and now wants 50% of these trains sound to me like hes a back passage way. He is being greedy and he should not get any of the trains or a penny from the proceeds. he's had more than his fair share.

Caporegime
Is this train set something your disabled brother would still like? If so would it be feasible to set it up at his sheltered accommodation? If you could then I bet it'd be something he'd like to do.

he will likely have 1 small room with en suite. smaller than a budget hotel.

IMO they should be sold and all the money given to his "care fund". maybe upgrade him to a better home for a few years, etc.

Caporegime
Anything other than giving your brother half if he was left 50% and you 50% would be nothing short of a horrible thing to do.. Why does it matter if he is disabled? why do we need to know that information? and how is it relevant to his potential share in a monetary inheritance..

You should be glad you got anything, my dad died and left everything to his wife of 8 months...

you need to learn to read properly or up your IQ.

the facts do matter. however OP hasn't been very clear with the facts. but it was obvious to me there are 5 siblings. 3 of which are brothers, 1 of which is greedy and trying to get every penny he can.

Back
Top Bottom