**Baddass' Ultimate TFT FAQ and Reviews! (20" and Above Models)**

Associate
Hyundai L70S+

Got one of these the other day from Overclockers. Very impressed with it, excellent quality display and a 12ms response time. No ghosting noticed and no dead pixels.

Faz

Faz

Associate
Badass I got a Viewsonic VX910 the other day after reading the mini review Here

Could you add it to the sticky, It's well worth a mention imo

Cheers

edit will put some pictures up when I get back from work

Last edited:
Associate
Have been looking at this monitor, as I need a TV built in, and wondered if it's any good.

L173SA-p-350.jpg

What are your opinions on it? I've emailed LG UK to ask for a price check, as i can't find a price anywhere, or anywhere that sells it [same thing really] :(

Response Time : 12 ms
Pixel Pitch : 0.264 mm
Brightness : 400 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio : 500 :1
Viewing Anlge : 140/140 (H/V)

Would i be able to watch telly with the pc off full screen as opposed to PIP?

Cheers

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
havent seen anything about that LG before really, maybe not released yet anyway

Faz, ill add some info about the Viewsonic, but might host the info elsewhere and link to it on the fonr page as the sticky is really concentrating on 17inch models atm, and there is very litle more room on the front page really at the mo. will sort out a part for it tho, then perhaps have a linkt o a 19inch tft section

Associate
Ok....

First of all I wanna say thanks to everyone for posting their ideas and opinions in here, and also a big thanks to the original thread poster!

What I dont get though, is why people are buying the LGs over the hyundai Q17+? Surely the 12ms screen has been known to better than the 16ms AU one?

IS there something im missing here? I dont care how the monitor itself looks, I just want something that is as close to my Mitsubishi Diamondtron for quality as is possible in a 17inch monitor.

I need to get a small form factor monitor for university, as my 30kg CRT is just overkill. Im looking for the best quality 17inch TFT, with as little ghosting as possible. Im not bothered about price either.

Thanks guys..

Man of Honour
OP
well the problem with the 12ms Sammy vs 16ms AU debate is the fact that they are made by 2 different manufacturers

one company's 12ms might not be another company's 12ms panel if u see what i mean. numbers arent always important in these cases. from ppls opinions and tests tho the 2 panels seem very similar in terms of performance. The 16ms AU is a long time established panel which is why it is still popular, you know you are getting a decent screen. the 12ms Sammy panel is fairly new, and while good on paper, some ppl are still a little wary of it.......especially with all the confusion with the 172X and the review panels sent out which got crappy write-ups. dont worry tho, the 12ms Sammy panel is great :)

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Rob_65
Baddass, any information on the monitor i posted?

No worries if not :) Thanks.

havent really heard anything on it at all really mate. and no sign of any reviews anywhere i can see. From the spec and LG site i would say:

- 12ms response, so VERY likely to be using the same Samsung 12ms panel as the 172X, Q17+, L70S+ etc.........so decent panel

-addition of the TV function is pretty cool, and can hook it up to DVD players too, kinda like a combo TFT for a pc and an LCD TV screen by the looks of it (might mean it is expensive tho! :() TV tuner and the speakers are classed as "optional" aswell, so may be a fair bit more?..........

- decent contrast ratio which u would expect on modern TFT's

- has both DVI and VGA so thats something less to worry about

looks good, but prob gunna be very hard to find, if its even available at all yet......

hope thats of some help :)

Associate
Well, I've only seen this monitor on a French website.

Two things that still make me undecided about buying a combo TFT -

1. No Scart socket. I really want to attach my Freeview box, and my portable DVD player to it (but I guess adapters can do the job).

2. Not wide-screen. All my DVD's are widescreen. For a multimedia TFT, this should be the norm.

But - great thing going for it is the 12ms response - first time I've seen this in a combo.

edit:

Oh - and it was 700 Euros - or about £500

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the reply badass.

I have another question then - I like to play all my games at 1024x768, and run windows at 1280x1024. I read in this FAQ that the samsung 172 is the "only monitor to resize its display correctly". Is this true? So if I went for the LG for example, with the 16ms AU display, it wouldnt resize perfectly. And even the Hyundai Q17+ which used the same screen, still wouldnt resize correctly?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by sp00d
Thanks for the reply badass.

I have another question then - I like to play all my games at 1024x768, and run windows at 1280x1024. I read in this FAQ that the samsung 172 is the "only monitor to resize its display correctly". Is this true? So if I went for the LG for example, with the 16ms AU display, it wouldnt resize perfectly. And even the Hyundai Q17+ which used the same screen, still wouldnt resize correctly?

Cheers.

in games, most panels are fine for scaling games down to lower resolutions. a lot of ppl run the games at lower res's outside the native res of the tft. it is in normal windows use where the TFT can look a little bad if run outside the native res. the 12ms Sammy panel used in the 172X, Q17+, L70S+ is said to be one of the better ones for scaling, but gaming-wise you shoudl be fine with the 16ms AU panel too

hth

Associate
Does anyone know anything about the acer AL1721. I'm thinking of getting one as it had a pretty good view on xbitlabs, a slim bezel, 16ms DVI (cable included) + D-Sub.

All for £230.

Associate
Mwah, i was going to buy a Samsung 172x with 12ms, but then I see this at the start of the FAQ:

"”Depending on priority this is which are best for which use..

DVD Playback - Hitachi/NEC (Au optroncis looks more cinematic, although the ACER/HERCULES/HYUNDAI are very good, and have more detail in dark areas, etc.
GAMES - Acer/Hercules/Hyundai followed closely by Hitachi/NEC, and I'm afraid Samsung aren't even in the queue.
WINDOWS - They are all good, the Samsungs may just shade it from the ACER/HERCULES/HYUNDAI brigade, and the Hitachi/NEC are very very good, but just slightly behind.”
"

I would be playing games primarily, so samsung is a nono?

ALso, what screen does the Acer 1731 use?

cheers

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
that bit at the beginning was written by Demon a long time ago, before the 172X was around.........ill edit it now, but basically the 172X is very good for gaming, check the section about it on the front page and u'll see what ppl's opinions are of it........

thanks for alerting me to that bit, will change it now :)

Associate
the only thing that bothers me is that the same tfts have been rated highest (Q17/+ and 172X) for the past year. i'm suprised that nothing better has been released since them. surely someone is going to release somthing soon that is a notch above those? so do i wait or just buy a 172x.

Regards, a very picky gamer

Ps. basically everyone wants to know which is THE BEST tft (regardless of money) for games. problem is no one bar THG does reviews of the top 10 products. and back to my first point the last major round up on THG is also getting a bit old.

Man of Honour
OP
well nearly all of the top TFT's today are going to be fine for gaming,ghosting is pretty much eliminated now, so it just isnt really an issue. i doubt u can tell any real difference between the 12ms Sammy panel and the 16ms AU panel in performance, and tha Hitachi (using the AU panel) has been around for a very long time :) even if they do release faster panels, are you really going to see any performance improvement?! i doubt it

regarding the BEST 19 inch monitor around, Mr LAtte has had a lot of TFT's and he'll tell you the Samsung 193P is his fav, looks a very sweet monitor, check out hsi thread on it here

19inch and 20inch TFT technology is a little behind the 17inch models really, but you do have the added bonus of higher resolutions. i would check out this thread for lots of info on the larger models.

Associate
I personally have an NEC 2080UX+ hooked up to a 6800Ultra and have had no problems playing games including UT2003/UT2004 and Doom3.

Pricy but definitely worth it for me.

Back
Top Bottom