The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
Seriously starting to believe I'm jinxed called the estate agent for an update after two weeks of a new buyer being added to the chain only to find out that that buyer has also now pulled out and the chain is no longer complete again. The original seller is trying to find a new buyer asap but i think my wife is gonna flip when i tell her. Can only hope they get a buyer over the weekend as the agents have said there was a lot of interest in the property

Associate
Rumbled into week 2 of camping with friends (with my other half and kid) really stressful

All for the builder to update me saying it won't be April completion on the new build as said before but sometime in May now

Soldato
Brilliant

Our Solicitor emailed yesterday asking for a Certass certificate for our windows and doors. Can't find one.

Rang Certass for a copy. No sign of our house having been registered with them.

Rang the installers. The owner retired and past the company onto his son/relative (going by the surname), but did so in a way of liquidating the original firm and then setting up as a new firm so are claiming no responsibility for any historic installs (but will still honour warranties)

Will probably end up having to pay for Indemnity insurance :(

Associate
Brilliant

Our Solicitor emailed yesterday asking for a Certass certificate for our windows and doors. Can't find one.

Rang the installers. The owner retired and past the company onto his son/relative (going by the surname), but did so in a way of liquidating the original firm and then setting up as a new firm so are claiming no responsibility for any historic installs (but will still honour warranties)

You checked to see if it's registered with FENSA instead?

Associate
Hoping you hadn't tried that and it was going to be that easy! :(
So the "new" company must have records of the install to honour warranties and therefore should have the related certificates to show it was installed correctly?

Soldato
Brilliant

We had to take out an indemnity policy for not having FENSA certificate for some new windows - wasn't much IIRC and certainly not noticeable in the overall costs of selling/buying.

Also took indemnity against chancel repair liability.

Associate
You'd think but they're accepting no responsibility because it's all to do with the previous liquidated company.

I'd hoped Certass would've been more help but they didn't really advise much.

You said they were honouring warranties?
Anyway, it'll cost a few quid and no big deal in the grand scheme of things. We all get mugged off for plenty during this time so what's another £50 or whatever it costs?? :D:D
If it were me as the buyer and I could see the windows were solid enough and that the survey didn't pick up issues it wouldn't bother me much.

We had to take out an indemnity policy for not having FENSA certificate for some new windows - wasn't much IIRC and certainly not noticeable in the overall costs of selling/buying.

Also had took indemnity against chancel repair liability.

We have the chancel insurance as well, think it's pretty common. Done automatically for us during the land checks and the bill (£24) for me I think is just added to the conveyancing fee.

Soldato
Yeah, installed in 2010

I think with the whole responsibility thing it's a case that because the company that installed the windows no longer exists they have a different Certass installer reference so wouldn't be able to re-submit historic documents.

However since it's pretty much the same company and they've just used loopholes (presumably to get around the transfer of shares due to retirement), they're honoring warranties.

Associate
Fingers crossed i5aces!

After our valuation cancellation last week I've had a snippet of info and it seems the problem is something to do with our buyers income, so whether they filled in the incorrect amount or whatever, god knows. Should have an answer by Wednesday hopefully.

In more annoying news, the solicitors wanted 3 years worth of ground rent invoices. Emailed Simarc (freeholder) last week asking for this info and the thieving profiteering scumbags want nearly £300 to provide me with a sodding single page pdf with 6 payments. I can understand an admin fee or something but this is redunkulous. Oh, I could pay 100 quid more for an expedited response!!!

Frustrated that I've not kept all of the emails etc over the years tbh but this really does take the urine imo.

Feels like an age since I posted this as there has been such a lot of happenings (mostly very pants happenings) since then, including our buyers wanting the moon on a stick and the EA seemingly being on our buyers payroll and being quite happy to suggest that we move into temporary accommodation because a week between exchange and completion was simply far too long and unreasonable, as the buyers are currently sofa surfing. Perhaps we could move into the campervan for a few days? Perhaps we would like to pay for our buyers storage?? All before we had even exchanged. How I didn't lose it with the EA and back out of the sale at some points is a miracle. I deserve a medal tbh :p

Anywho, we are finally nearly there. Exchanged last Thursday and completing and moving tomorrow. Just hoping that the lag between us being paid for our place and the seller being paid isnt too great. We're only moving around the corner (our buyers probably curtain twitching from across the road where said sofa surfing is taking place!) so ideally we'll be packing the van mid morning when we hear all payments have gone through and we can drop off our keys with the EA and pick up our new keys at the same time.

Getting there.....

Oh, and no interwebs bar mobile phone for a week and only freeview until next wednesday!! (first world problems and all that!)

Oh again.. Looking very sad in our little flat tonight.. As soon as you remove the lampshades and things from the wall it all starts to look less like a home and more like a slightly tatty series of rooms with marks on the walls and the stark lighting from bare lightbulbs. Still, a few days time the new gaff will be... a slightly bigger series of rooms with tatty walls and stark lighting from bare lightbulbs lol :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Time to join in on this! Just had an offer accepted on a 4/5 bedroom house up here in Scotland! Have a DIP with our current provider HSBC so will likely be moving that to full application next week.

Our flat is going up for sale next week and have 5 weeks to get it sold as part of our conditions on offer acceptance on our new place.

Soldato
Time to join in on this! Just had an offer accepted on a 4/5 bedroom house up here in Scotland! Have a DIP with our current provider HSBC so will likely be moving that to full application next week.

Our flat is going up for sale next week and have 5 weeks to get it sold as part of our conditions on offer acceptance on our new place.

Bit risky to buy before you have sold yours? Unless you have the money in hand?

Soldato
Homebuyer survey was completed last week. Mortgage offer is at solicitors who have done their searches and on to enquireys .

I have given one months notice at rented place I'm.going to have to find somewhere to stay for a few weeks . Hoping this can be done within 4-8 weeks now although it is slow . Im on week 5 at the moment I think

Soldato
Bit risky to buy before you have sold yours? Unless you have the money in hand?

If we don't sell within 5 weeks then the seller can review and cancel the deal. I am fairly confident we shall sell (one below us, not as nice, sold in 2 days) quickly and if not... we could actually afford to hold a mortgage on both and still have deposit for the new place, we'd just be pushing affordability up from 2.7x gross wage to 3.4x which would likely still see us mortgage.

Soldato
Hi all

What's the avg cost you would expect to pay for life and critical illness cover or does it depend.

I want to sort before exchange and complete along with the building and contents.

I have been quoted around £38 p/m for life and critical illness by my mortgage broker but need to do building and contents seperate

170k property with 153k mortgage. No real expensive contents apart from odd electrical

What sort of monthly payments are people having for these? £11-14p/m I have not done any quotes yet but will hit up search sites. Do these seem right or is it more

Soldato
I haven't posted much about mine in here but ours finally has a date of May the 18th which will have been 5 months in a small three link chain due to all sorts of issues along the way however our buyers who have been pressuring to complete have now decided they want to view again for the third time stating their solicitor has recommended it to make sure we haven't removed anything we shouldn't.

I haven't heard of this before, has anyone else heard of it? I find it odd because it would be breach of contract to remove anything we shouldn't and when they view its still 3 weeks until completion so I could do what I wanted if I desired within that weeks anyway, just seems odd to me and unnecessary added stress when getting close to completion when its been a long process.

Associate
When we moved recently both us and our buyer viewed the respective houses to measure up properly for curtains, carpets. etc after contracts were signed so we could get them ready for when we moved.

Back
Top Bottom