What temperature should my water be?

Associate
1 million C....... seriously though unless we have your full specs its a guessing game.

I have 2x360 and 1x280 rads with 2xgtx 1080s and a ryzen 1600 at 3.9ghz. When my water temp is below 29c my fans switch off so idle my water temp is about 25-26c

Full load about 34-36c water temps

The way my fans are setup is they are off below 29c.

Then when the temp hits 29c they switch on to 30% (any lower they wont switch on) and every 2c they speed up 5% to 50% however I have never had them running at 50% no matter how hot it is in the room and how much I am taxing the system

Soldato
The first component of your loop that will have issues with temp is the pump, they usually list their max operating temperatures, it's best to keep the max loop temp ~10c below that.

I.E if you have a D5 then the max operating temp when used in plastic housing is 50c, so ideally you wouldn't want the coolant over 40c.

Soldato
I think it's related to the fact that heat generated by the pump motor (anything from 10 to 40 watts typically) relies on water flow to cool it. So, if the water isn't a certain amount cooler than the motor's safe temperature, the motor will be damaged.

Associate
For a guide I aim to have water temperature at idle to be very close to room temperature (1 to 3C above tops). At load I've not seen my water above 36-38C in summer when room ambient is high 20s to low 30s. Currently my fans won't hit 100% until the water hits 41C but that's yet to happen.

Associate
Ahh, hadn't thought of that - leaktesting single components did make the loop get ~10 degrees warmer for me.
I think it's related to the fact that heat generated by the pump motor (anything from 10 to 40 watts typically) relies on water flow to cool it. So, if the water isn't a certain amount cooler than the motor's safe temperature, the motor will be damaged.

Associate
I always worked on delta temperatures from intake.

CPU only keep it lower than 10
CPU and GPU temps keep it lower than 15

At the end of the day, just do a full synthetic load test for a few hours. If your water temp stabilize and component temps are ok, why worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom