Scotland has today introduced a minimum unit price for alcohol

Permabanned
Tax on the poor tbh... Just like sugar, cigs etc. We all know a healthy ageing population costs far more in the long run than the premature deaths brought about by being unhealthy.

Associate
Where have you been?

This has been on the cards for a long time, actually was passed in 2012 but delayed due to legal challenges.

If it helps reduce deaths etc. then I'm all for it.

Soldato
Surely they'll do what a lot of other addicts do? Turn to crime to fund their habit if they can't afford it normally.

Exactly

To addicts, increasing the cost of alcohol does not stop them. Many will sooner let other parts of their life suffer, will turn to theft or will simply choose a cheaper brand - rather than go without.

This is simply another poorly disguised tax squeeze. They may not be raising the tax directly but they know that people will still pay it and drink it, so the government will still pocket more. I have no issue with paying more tax but lets call a spade, a spade.

Soldato
Exactly

To addicts, increasing the cost of alcohol does not stop them. Many will sooner let other parts of their life suffer, will turn to theft or will simply choose a cheaper brand - rather than go without.

This is simply another poorly disguised tax squeeze.

I guess it's not about helping the current addicts, but helping to deter people from drinking too much in the future and becoming addicts.

The same way increasing the cost of cigarettes hasn't stopped all addicts but it has had a noticible effect in the decline in uptake of the next generations.

And apart from the illegal activity of buying dodgy fags, I've not heard about an increase in crime from the smoking demographic to fund their habit.

Soldato
While i think these things have a much smaller effect than people give them credit to over time, i can agree that it may contribute to a significant effect over a long time when you include the effects of other things. They at the very least represent a shift in the public's view.

We saw a huge cultural shift in how newer generations viewed smoking and other things such as drink driving just in the last 20-30 years. This wasn't achieved by raising taxes but anti-drink drive campaigns, anti smoking campaigns and it took several years before we saw real significant effects.

I remember the fairly shocking and sometimes horrifically graphic TV campaigns against drink driving and smoking. As peoples opinions started to change and the severity of these actions increased, we clamped down on things such as selling alcohol cigarettes to minors, we increased the smoking age, introduced a smoking ban, we introduced harsher sentencing for drink drivers. Introducing these changes were far easier for the public to swallow, in fact after seeing an advert of a little girl un-breaking in slow motion as a car crash is played backwards, the public welcomed these changes with open arms.

Caporegime
I guess it's not about helping the current addicts, but helping to deter people from drinking too much in the future and becoming addicts.

The same way increasing the cost of cigarettes hasn't stopped all addicts but it has had a noticible effect in the decline in uptake of the next generations.

And apart from the illegal activity of buying dodgy fags, I've not heard about an increase in crime from the smoking demographic to fund their habit.

Alcohol and tobacco are very different though. The 'benefits' of alcohol are immediate and obvious whereas smoking, let's face it, has no real benefit unless you're already addicted. As far as I'm aware the costs of drugs such as cannabis and cocaine are increasing yet so is their usage because again, people can see the benefit to them.

Caporegime
Surely this is just going to drive business to England and hurt Scotland's economy? it'll be Christmas come early for black market importers/sellers.

Soldato
OP
How many shops are going to sell dodgy white lightning from a back room/under the till? It’s not as though it’s making it super expensive. A normal can of lager for 88p minimum price iirc. £13.13 for a bottle of vodka.

Dodgy home brew merchants, especially Spirits diluting it with god knows what.

Back
Top Bottom