Road Cycling

Soldato
#excuses :p

4zwJdK4.jpg

Mine is due to the baby really as I've done no after work rides. Thankfully Zwift CVR racing has meant an additional 20-25 'miles' tuesday nights to partly offset that. So although my mileage has partially dropped, the intensity from racing has really helped my threshold/power/hour endurance and general fitness after recovery from illnesses. Just need to use the weekends more to get the several hour rides in for longer endurance and trim the weight down, hopefully clawing the distance back to build a buffer again ready for next winter...! Have kept the same target as 2017 which I revised late in the year as I was 500 miles ahead of my initial 4500 mile target.

Last edited:
Soldato
CVR again last night. Felt strong but not enough to keep with the front group, dug deep chasing but eased up to ride in a chase group. Big effort on a failed escape, before recovering enough to beat my main CVR opponent in the sprint. Did not feel well after that sprint as went really deep, but all good training! :)

Soldato
Instead of creating a "Spec me" thread, Im just going to ask it in here...

Spec me a carbon road bike... well it doesn't have to be carbon, but I want it under the 9kg weight. My current bike is 13.38kg, a Specialized FSR XC Expert 2008, which is a great bike, but I feel stupid riding it around on the roads at lunchtime, plus I'm never going to get KOMs using a full suspension mountain bike against roadies!

So I went with a Cannondale Synapses Carbon frame from Evan using their trade in of an old bike, for £899. Ok its a Tiagra and its not the new 2018 frame, but the older as I didn't want disc brakes, but it feels great and looks good as well. A good frame by all accounts, so can upgrade the components should I want to, but Im not that bothered about that for the time being.

Soldato
So I went with a Cannondale Synapses Carbon frame from Evan using their trade in of an old bike, for £899. Ok its a Tiagra and its not the new 2018 frame, but the older as I didn't want disc brakes, but it feels great and looks good as well. A good frame by all accounts, so can upgrade the components should I want to, but Im not that bothered about that for the time being.

Fine choice. Funnily enough I also moved to read biking from a 2008 FSR XC. It took me a little while to get used to how direct the power transfer on a road bike was, even with the rear shock fully locked out.

Caporegime
Made a bit of a mess of my left leg yesterday. Decided last minute to go up Streatley as I was right next to it after my route, they have single file traffic up around half way with traffic lights which aren't actually on but cars approach them as if they are as you can barely see them covered by bushes. Came up behind one and just stupidly didn't unclip despite barely moving, and by the time I went to do so, it was too late and I was going over.

I haven't adjusted the Ultegra pedals and they are so stiff to unclip, especially one side.

I spent about 1 minute with traffic on the road, just trying to unclip my foot while lying on the floor but couldn't do so. Had to take my shoe off in the end. Felt a right tit :o

Bike is unharmed apart from a small scuff on one pedal, but I stuck my leg out so it took all the fall. Took a load of skin off around my knee and shins which is sore this morning :(

Despite all that, I managed a 15 second PB :o:p

Brilliant :D

Most importantly the bike is ok ;)

I'm absolutely terrified of that happening.

Soldato
Made a bit of a mess of my left leg yesterday. Decided last minute to go up Streatley as I was right next to it after my route, they have single file traffic up around half way with traffic lights which aren't actually on but cars approach them as if they are as you can barely see them covered by bushes. Came up behind one and just stupidly didn't unclip despite barely moving, and by the time I went to do so, it was too late and I was going over.

I haven't adjusted the Ultegra pedals and they are so stiff to unclip, especially one side.

I spent about 1 minute with traffic on the road, just trying to unclip my foot while lying on the floor but couldn't do so. Had to take my shoe off in the end. Felt a right tit :o

Bike is unharmed apart from a small scuff on one pedal, but I stuck my leg out so it took all the fall. Took a load of skin off around my knee and shins which is sore this morning :(

Unlucky you did it in traffic. I had my first "oh-balls-I'm-still-clipped-in" moment down a country lane, so nobody saw me having to my shoe off after grovelling on the floor :D

I've spotted some discounting on 2018 bikes already. Certini have 15% (just under £500) off the Defy Advanced Pro 1

https://www.certini.co.uk/38983/pro...anced-pro-1-road-bike-carbon-smoke-green.aspx

Primera also have 15% off Argon18 Krypton CS/GF bikes & frames

http://www.primera-sports.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=krypton

Seems odd for a brand new model

Soldato

This is why i dont cycle with clips!

too dangerous especially for commuting in london where i have already been hit..

Caporegime
This is why i dont cycle with clips!

too dangerous especially for commuting in london where i have already been hit..

There fine really.

In fairness to Steedie, it sounds like he hadn't practiced much with them (new bike + pedals I believe?). I wouldn't ride a road bike without them, much more efficient.

Soldato
Pointless trying to mash through 20 mph winds so kudos to the coach for changing the programme to recognise the headwinds were just killing people.
Naaah, perfect training for surging & holding efforts! ;)

Ouch! Sorry forgot to comment until now. Cleat falls are one of those things, they happen. You sound unlucky for it to happen there with cars around! I've only once fallen in heavy traffic (& heavy rain). Whenever I change pedals I always crank the resistance to the lowest possible for a few days then tweak it up as needed - safer that way! With low resistance the reflex to rip your foot sideways will always generally unclip, barely even needing to twist the foot.

The hardest thing I found was 'planning' to stop when I was in busy traffic, you're so reliant on being able to 'judge' the car infront of you to then figure out if its safer to unclip or not. Still they'll catch you out, when a driver isn't 'normal'! I even took to riding with one foot unclipped in stop/start taffic and would recommend it, but it does mess up your cleats/shoes/overshoes. Being able to judge cars/traffic is a very useful skill and one I picked up pre-cycling. I like to think of myself as a proficient driver (as I gathered quite a bit of experience when young) and even now driving less than 4k a year I still seem to notice changes in traffic before vehicles around me.

Fine choice. Funnily enough I also moved to read biking from a 2008 FSR XC.
How would you rate the FSR XC to more modern FS bikes of a similar ability? It's one of the few older framesets I'd consider buying to then build up with newer components (I basically can't afford a high spec brand new FS and rather than buying a suspect S/H one I'd much prefer to buy a frame to strip & then build it back up).

I wouldn't ride a road bike without them, much more efficient.
Agreed, the couple of times I've ridden non clipless have felt much harder (also resulted in many 'shin eggs'!). Even when I eventually head out with a friend to ride some trails I'll be fitting some old SPD's to ride clipless. I have the shoes and pedals so why not! I don't really own any 'old' trainers to wreck riding MTB! :o

Good weather forecast for the next 8 days, some of the afternoons the temperatures even hitting over 20º! Wind conditions even looking good for the bank holiday weekend! #jinxed :D

Man of Honour
There fine really.

In fairness to Steedie, it sounds like he hadn't practiced much with them (new bike + pedals I believe?). I wouldn't ride a road bike without them, much more efficient.

I'm used to clipless pedals and the pedals/cleats I'm using on the new bike are the same (just Ultegra instead of the 105 pedals), and this is the first fall I've had due to them in over a year but I was just knackered from being half way up a steep climb that I'd just switched off for a second. But I do need to go back and adjust the pedals as they are far too difficult to unclip at the moment

Caporegime
Agreed, the couple of times I've ridden non clipless have felt much harder (also resulted in many 'shin eggs'!). Even when I eventually head out with a friend to ride some trails I'll be fitting some old SPD's to ride clipless. I have the shoes and pedals so why not! I don't really own any 'old' trainers to wreck riding MTB! :o

Good weather forecast for the next 8 days, some of the afternoons the temperatures even hitting over 20º! Wind conditions even looking good for the bank holiday weekend! #jinxed :D

Oh no!

Mtbs for flats! ;) Though I have been tempted to try clipless..... But I know I'd go crazy and spend another few hundred on shoes, pedals etc.

Soldato
the efficiency thing is largely a myth

there's actually a considerable safety *gain* from being clipped in riding in a close group. We've all lost a pedal over a sudden bump. imagine you're on the rivet with someone on your wheel when you do - the sudden slowdown could get real messy

Soldato
I have Shimano A530 SPD pedals on all my bikes, one side is SPD and the other is A flat pedal which I switch to in heavy traffic and urban areas as I feel far safer. I have a regular MTB shoe for the MTB or when I’m on the trainer and a pair of Bontrager Expresso SPD road shoes for my road bikes. This works really well for me and I don’t have to walk like duck on caffe stops in SPD SL’s!

Soldato
Mtbs for flats! ;)
Why so? Pedalling for me is a clipped in technique (ridden cleats for 7 years). I can balance for 4-5 seconds on the flat on skinny road tyres without thinking about it (without 'track standing'). I can only guess standing/balancing on wider tyres is easier?! For me going flats would be a whole 'new' thing as although I've ridden them twice in the last 25 years (my last MTB was back in my early teens), being clipped in is my 'natural' state.

the efficiency thing is largely a myth
Several arguments around this, if you mean the 'upstroke' idea then agree it is mostly a myth, as it's only more 'efficient' if you have an inefficient style and are pulling up through the stroke far more than your should be... On the flip side being clipped in 'locks' your foot into the most efficient place to contact the pedal, avoiding injuries and power losses through unnecessary foot movement.

Thinking about it, at really low speeds and cadences, even starting a pedal stroke on really steep terrain wouldn't some upstroke give more control and power?! Ideal for trails? :)

This works really well for me and I don’t have to walk like duck on caffe stops in SPD SL’s!
/duckwalker signing in.

Is the perfetto the same thickness/windproofness as the Gabba 3 nowadays?
Yeah, although watch out as there are Perfetto 'Light' and I think around the Gabba 3 release some of the Perfetto Lights where not labelled as such as I think they toyed with the idea to call the light ones Perfetto and the heavy ones Gabba.

Back
Top Bottom