• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Low FPS with a new 1070 Ti?!

Associate
Run this benchmark tool (http://www.userbenchmark.com) and close down any background applications like web browsers etc. Post the link to the results so we can see if any components might be under performing.

What motherboard are you using and Bios version?

Did you configure any settings for your RAM? Have you tested the RAM for stability e.g. memtest86 / HCI memtest? DOCP/XMP Ram settings dont always work out of the box on Ryzen so you may need to manually configure them or try lower settings / memory frequency. As a first step I usually test using Bios default Settings ("Load Bios Optimized Default settings") to make sure everything is working at basic settings (safe/most compatible settings) before configuring RAM.

It is better to look at per-core CPU usage rather than overall CPU utilisation as some games hit bottleneck on single core, in MSI afterburner you can show utilization per CPU core and also in Windows Task Manager you can change graph to show "Logical Processes" instead of overall utillisation.

You can also use hwinfo64 to show some useful info like temperatures, I think with X-series Ryzen CPU you want to look at Tdie, the Tctl has a +20c offset I believe.

What are your CPU and GPU temperatures when testing the games?

When you experience the FPS drop, check MSI afterburner On-Screen-Display to see what is maxing out at the same time.

Soldato
OP
That’s my userbench mark above.

I’m now running HCI memtest.

I’m struggling to find the reason what might be causing this.

Power Settings I’ve changed in both Windows and Nvidia too.

Associate
The userbenchmark results look fine, the components are running as expected similar to other user results (the bar charts indicate where the most common results are for the same hardware component).

If you can replicate the issue on demand, you can check MSI afterburner on-screen-display to see if anything stands out at the time of the FPS drops, e.g. cpu core spike, high temperatures, cpu/gpu clock drops etc. You might need to go through and enable most of the OSD settings in MSI afterburner to show more info. You can also set "alarm" threshold limits, this will make the OSD text display red which makes it easier to spot things e.g. alarm when CPU1 core is 90% etc...

Soldato
OP
Have the latest chipset installed too.

Also did a fresh install (after DDU) of Nvidia drivers.

Looking at MSI Afterburner in more detail...

CPU2 is constantly the most overworked, and in times of low FPS hits 80+% load. Whilst the GPU remains 30%.

Is this normal?

Soldato
OP
Example of MSI Burner info:

IMG_2797.jpg

GPU-Z Screenshot:

czk.png

CPU and GPU temps are decent.

Soldato
1920x1080 - my moniotor is 144hz and I’ve set that in Windows and on the moniotor itself.

I think that explained low fps and low GPU usage. I googled found other people had same issue you experienced so it turned out your Ryzen 5 1600X is CPU bottleneck, it cannot handled higher refresh rates 120Hz, 144Hz and 165Hz.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/886729-1080ti-r5-1600-low-gpu-usage/

iiNNeX managed to fixed issue after upgraded to 8700K system so 8700K seemed can handled higher refresh rates 120Hz, 144Hz and 165Hz in games which Ryzen 1600X cannot handled caused CPU bottlenecked that showed low fps and low GPU usage. I am not sure about 2nd gen Ryzen whether 2600X and 2700X can handle higher refresh rates 120Hz, 144Hz and 165Hz in games. if 2nd gen Ryzen still have same issue with higher refresh rates then upgrade to 8700K is the best solution to enjoy higher refresh rates.

So try lower refresh rate to 60Hz and see if it fix low fps and low GPU usage.

Associate
CPU2 is constantly the most overworked, and in times of low FPS hits 80+% load. Whilst the GPU remains 30%.

Is this normal?

It's hard to say as it varies from game to game, the resolution used and what in-game settings are used. If a game is not very graphically intense then there is not much work for the GPU to do. Some games are also more CPU intensive than others, and only use a single CPU thread. However drops to 30-40 FPS does not seem right, Im not familar with the games you listed but I dont think it should drop to that low FPS.

In theory, if Vsync is disabled and the game is not capping the FPS or limiting it in some way, the GPU will attempt to output as many frames as possible unless there is a bottleneck somewhere else in the system e.g. CPU, RAM, Disk activity, Networking, etc.

It may be useful to run some more benchmarks to compare your results with others, maybe check YouTube videos for similar spec systems. Take note of the resolution (1080p) and in-game settings used (e.g. ultra, medium, low) so you can compare with your system.

Example CPU benchmarks: CineBench, CPU-Z
Example GPU benchmarks: Unigine Superposition, Valley, Heaven
Example RAM benchmarks: Aida64

I would also take another look at the RAM. How did you configure your RAM settings? I would be tempted to go into the Bios and reset to default settings "Load optimized default settings" just as a test if you still get FPS drops. The motherboard manual also suggests to use slots A2 and B2 for two sticks of RAM. I would also check all cables are securely connected just to make sure there are no loose connections anywhere.

Soldato
So just installed MSI Afterburner and played a few games.

Weird results.

The CPU nor the GPU get above 20-25% usage at any times. Even when the frame rate starts to dip less than 40fps.

Any ideas what that could mean?

What game is that in? If that's counter strike a 6 core CPU probably won't be stretched that hard due to limited threading. I would have thought the GPU usage would have been higher though.

Soldato
Did you read my earlier post? Did you check the xbox stuff like I mentioned earlier?

Mine was doing same thing cpu and gpu usage really low with frame rates around 30fps where I should be getting more than double and it was all the game bar and crap recording stuff.

Soldato
OP
Will do some more benchmarking today, but from the ones I've done so far it seems OK.

I have turned all the Xbox stuff off too.

It's just strange how the GPU never hits above 40% usage on ANY game I play.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will do some more benchmarking today, but from the ones I've done so far it seems OK.

I have turned all the Xbox stuff off too.

It's just strange how the GPU never hits about 40% usage on ANY game I play.

That isn't right it should be at 100% all times unless vsync is switched on in game or some how wrongly switched on in nvidia control panel.

Associate
Have the latest chipset installed too.

Also did a fresh install (after DDU) of Nvidia drivers.

Looking at MSI Afterburner in more detail...

Is this normal?
You made sure the chipset drivers were installed after you used DDU? Cause DDU can wipe them out.

Soldato
OP
That isn't right it should be at 100% all times unless vsync is switched on in game or some how wrongly switched on in nvidia control panel.

Yeah that's why I'm really confused, it never gets above 40% usage. Checked for Vsync options.

You made sure the chipset drivers were installed after you used DDU? Cause DDU can wipe them out.

Indeed, same level of FPS before and after DDU.

Soldato
I also had trouble with some of the newer nvidia drivers so I removed the newer ones and use the older 385.41

Some of the newer ones were losing performance after being on a while.

Might be worth a try if you haven't already.

Back
Top Bottom