• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Low FPS with a new 1070 Ti?!

Soldato
OP
I also had trouble with some of the newer nvidia drivers so I removed the newer ones and use the older 385.41

Some of the newer ones were losing performance after being on a while.

Might be worth a try if you haven't already.

Will give this a try and report back.

I thought about reseating everything, but seems pointless when all the benchmark apps show amazing performance!

Associate
You could try the Unigine Superposition benchmark. This is very GPU intensive and not so much CPU intensive so I would expect your GPU usage to be at 99%.

You can test with 1080p medium DirectX settings.

Here is a video with 1070ti + i7 4790k (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOSv2b07qmM)

The score was 14124, FPS min: 82.21, Avg:105.65, Max: 150.91.

The video shows the GPU core clock running approx 1800Mhz (+12% compared with stock 1070ti FE 1607Mhz) so I would expect your results to be around 12% less:

Estimate @ 12610, FPS min: 73, Avg:93, Max: 134

The GPU-Z screenshot shows PCIe x16 3.0 which seems correct. The motherboard manual recommends for single GPU to be installed into the gray slot (PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16_1) slot closest to the CMOS battery.

Could the the M.2 NVME device have any impact on the GPU performance? I dont have one so not that familiar with them but thought I would mention just in case someone else might know ...

Soldato
@JamesU2005 - As above run Unigine, that's very GPU bound not matter what resolution your running and post back you scores. For reference:

https://techgage.com/article/a-quick-look-at-nvidias-geforce-gtx-1070-ti/

In Unigine Superposition 1.0 extreme you should be getting around about the 4,800 mark at 1080p. If your not and your score a way lower then at least we have identified he cause of your FPS drops.

If I were you I would setup a clean partition on your hard drive with a fresh install of Windows and nothing else on it other the latest WHQL driver from Nvidia to rule out software issues. I can't see why your GPU usage would be be capped at 40% unless you had VSYNC on.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys for all the advice over these past 3 pages, great to know there's so many super people ready to help someone out :)

Will try Unigine and report back on this thread.

Soldato
OP
So just ran Unigine at 1080p high.

Got the following:

Superposition_Benchmark_v1_0_10231_1525384292.png

So pretty decent score, based on the TechGage link with the same test.

So looks doubtful there's any issues with the GPU.

Maybe it's the CPU limiting the frames...?

What's the best tool to test the CPU alongside the GPU?

Associate
Enable DSR & retest your games at 1440p & 4k & check GPU usage? Map your results against published benchmarks especially if they use Ryzen.

Soldato
OP
Try disabled Games Boost option in BIOS.

https://community.amd.com/thread/218860

Don't think my ASUS board has this option. Unless it's called something else?

In the MSI overlay was your GPu usage around 95%-100%?

The Unigine Superposition benchmark showed the GPU usage hitting 95%.

Enable DSR & retest your games at 1440p & 4k & check GPU usage? Map your results against published benchmarks especially if they use Ryzen.

Ok, will give this a go too.

I feel though perhaps it's something to do with the CPU rather than the GPU now.

Back
Top Bottom