Front door clearance on wooden floor ..

Soldato
I'm laying a wooden floor downstairs into the hallway and as I approach the front door I can see the front door or more specifically the rubber on the storm guard is going to rub on the floor, which isn't ideal as it could end up scratching it if it's dragging dirt across it.

YyciiUW.jpg

I'm not keen to cut down the rubber strips because the stormguard won't be watertight any more, but I can't see any other solution beyond this.

Soldato
Replace the threshold strip with a "classic" Stormguard threshold?

This kind doesn't have a strip on the bottom of the door (does mean taking the door off and removing the old strip), it has a brush built into the threshold itself and a rubber sealing lip that presses up to the outside of the door. You do need a certain profile of door for itto work (i.e. one with no fancy moulding etc. at the bottom where it seals). Personally though I have found this to be a much more effective type of threshold since I replaced the ones I had which were like the one you have posted, the rubber seals seem to crack and perish on those whereas the brush strip on the "classic" type doesn't. It dos also give you a slightly higher step into the house.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. Can't trim the door as it's a metal construction so doubt it'd be that easy.

But the alternate threshold that manic_man suggests looks to be the solution. I think my present one is leaking slightly anyway so fitting a new one with sealant like they show in the handy vid here would solve that too, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8TTz43AXMA

Soldato
I installed two for my metal composite doors (wood inner, metal outer, upvc frame) and other than taking my time getting the measurement right before cutting and having a new hacksaw blade, they were very easy to install. Make sure you put sealant into the screw holes before you screw it down as well, they say to do this and technically this is where water would sit before the brush in the case of a flood.

Also, try and remove the door to take the old bottom strip off by knocking the hinge pin out and not by unscrewing the hinges... It makes re hanging a doddle. What can i say, i was a real novice when I did all this stuff a few years ago!

Back
Top Bottom