-

Caporegime
A remap would take it to 130~HP, theres no way you would be staying close to a Fiesta ST if they were actually trying. :p

Do you actually know if your friend was flooring it onto the dual carriageway or was he just merging normally and you were ragging it to keep up? :D

Soldato
It takes an absolutely huge power difference for one car to leave another for dead between what I assume is around 30mph and legal speeds - you simply aren't accelerating for all that long.

You might well think you're keeping up but ultimately the other cars would just drive away progressively if you were able to keep accelerating. The difference is usually even more pronounced at higher speeds too.

Vcds will give you a flash count as mentioned above or you can log the boost and compare to what the car should do as standard

Soldato
A Fiesta ST has 200hp stock (on overboost), way more torque and is lighter. It's not even close and never will be with that engine.

Also there's quite a lot of fake STs around now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Huge exaggeration here, but I've been known to struggle to keep up with the other half in her 107 (68bhp I thought), in my A45 (376hp)... lol.

It totally depends on whether you realise how hard the person in front is trying. If you're doing drag races you'd be able to get a feel for the differences, on the road you just can't be sure you're both going full bore to make it a fair comparison.

Associate
I know with the PD diesel engines you would do a VCDS group 11 boost log for a wide open throttle pull in a particular gear. If you see boost pressure significantly over what the engine should be running from the factory, that usually indicates it's had a map.

Don't know if that just applies to PD diesels though.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
The difference in when you both pressed the throttle, how quickly you changed gears, whether both were in the optimal gear at the same time and also difference in turbo spool up time could all factor in and that's before you take tyres, grip and weight into account.

When I had my EP3 and we went on group drives my car was stock where many others had 40 -100bhp more. In the real world that didn't make much of difference between corners. The cars would drive totally different I'm sure but reducing the gap between 0-60 times takes quite a lot more than you realise.

Soldato
As said you're never going to get a representation from brief tussles on the road. I get ***** try to race me a lot in the Evo and it's not until halfway up the carriageway I notice them in my mirror.

I would have been humming along in low boost just enjoying the scenery, but on the other side of the story, their 318i was all over me lol

Associate
OP
Confirmed with him that we both had feet flat on the throttle, shifting at the top end of revs, and started from around 15mph (tight bend before joining).

Seems weird that I was so close though - He also said he was confused as to how close I kept.

I'll get the flash counter checked tonight - as far as I am aware it hasn't been updated in my ownership. Can get them up to 142 hp with a decent tune and 180ft/lbs of torque so would make sense if it has been mapped

That Fiesta ST is definitely real too, it's a guy I work with who owns it and has all the docs etc - That one may have been a bit more of a fluke as I'm not sure if he going for it 100%

Caporegime
It takes an absolutely huge power difference for one car to leave another for dead between what I assume is around 30mph and legal speeds - you simply aren't accelerating for all that long.

You might well think you're keeping up but ultimately the other cars would just drive away progressively if you were able to keep accelerating. The difference is usually even more pronounced at higher speeds too.

Vcds will give you a flash count as mentioned above or you can log the boost and compare to what the car should do as standard

And we have a winner, the amount of people who claim to have left someone for dead with similar cars yet 20hp difference is amusing, it takes a serious HP advantage to leave someone for dust.

Soldato
No then. So basically his mate wasn't trying. :p

I have a 16 plate fiesta ST with the mountune 215 and its damn quick.... obviously not a monster but its certainly fun having other cars up behind you as you leave a junction onto a dual cway and they come up behind with that "move out of my way little fiesta" attitude and then you can see them think "eh??" when i boot it :p

Soldato
Sorry I'd misread the op post and missed his friend having a newer seat (thought he was quoting specs of the at). I can confirm when a car has lots of power it's fun watching cars disappear in the rear view (mine has 420 horses).

Man of Honour
And we have a winner, the amount of people who claim to have left someone for dead with similar cars yet 20hp difference is amusing, it takes a serious HP advantage to leave someone for dust.

Depends a bit on the power delivery and how well it can be put down on the road, etc. my brother has a stage two remap with a bit of tweaking that is ridiculously quick off the line which tends to mean on UK roads he leaves many more powerful HP cars in his dust as they generally can't use their higher top speed or power delivery through the rest of the curve advantages. While on track or the autobahn it would be another story over longer distances.

Back
Top Bottom