Flat earth brigade - I have no words

Caporegime
I genuinely, honestly believe that this is a huge ploy for reasons which will become clear when they all laugh and tell us it was a joke all along.

I refuse to believe that thousands of years of human evolution has us producing people whose brains seemingly got stuck at the tadpole phase.

Caporegime
Well we appear to have one flat earther here...

Sheer lunacy. Why would the World governments want to go to the effort of making people believe a flat earth was spherical anyway? What benefits would there be in such a conspiracy?

Soldato
Funnily enough I watched a very interesting video today and not done in the style of 'Loose Change' and other crank/hobbyist videos (although it has to be said that the guy who did Loose Change has now gone back on all of it now he has had proof).
Anyway, the video features professionals who all come from different backgrounds and around 7 tests were done several times in different places over the Earth.
So let's take just one of them:
They are on Lake Titicaca with a very powerful laser pointing around 40km into the distance and the laser is about 3 foot off the waters surface in a straight line.
My math is out here but if there is a curvature the water over that distance will be about 3 stories high (or a lot higher) and the laser won't reach the beach the other side - it did.
In another experiment top topography people from Brazil measured using GPS (within cm) the co ordinates of a building at the top & bottom. They did the same 110km away to a building which would mean the measurement at the top should be bigger than the measurement at the bottom if there is a curvature - it was exactly the same.
There were 5 other experiments and in all cases the water/land between two points many miles away were flat!

I'm sounding like a loon here but I'm hoping someone on here can refute all their findings because it sounds stupid -

If they were using tradition GPS then of course it wouldn't show an increase distance between the bottom and top of a building as it only measure position in 2 axis. It doesn't matter how high you are, if you are stood at any x, y co-ordinate you can change your z co-ordinate to anything you want and it won't show you have moved.

Man of Honour
If they were using tradition GPS then of course it wouldn't show an increase distance between the bottom and top of a building as it only measure position in 2 axis. It doesn't matter how high you are, if you are stood at any x, y co-ordinate you can change your z co-ordinate to anything you want and it won't show you have moved.

I don't understand what you are saying to be honest.
Here's a picture, in my low IQ brain if there is a curvature, the tops of the building would be wider apart than the bottom!

convexearth1.jpg

Soldato
is there a head flat earther? like a spokesperson for these people? if so nasa should just take the financial hit and send them into space and prove it to them and then tell everyone else they are wrong.

Soldato
is there a head flat earther? like a spokesperson for these people? if so nasa should just take the financial hit and send them into space and prove it to them and then tell everyone else they are wrong.
There is unfortunately, his name is Eric Dubay. He appears to be particularly mentally unstable.

Caporegime
I think they are just playing along with it for fame and money and publicity

Nobody is stupid enough to go on telly and argue this at face value

Agreed.

This guy for example has been building rockets for years and probably ran out of bank. He wrote "Flat Earth Society" on his latest one and voila, money.

I'm not even gonna discuss that there are buildings and epic amounts of mountains which could give a better view.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-43550327/flat-earther-launches-diy-rocket

Soldato
Here's a picture, in my low IQ brain if there is a curvature, the tops of the building would be wider apart than the bottom!

convexearth1.jpg

he means that gps is very poor at measuring the z coordinate (i.e. elevation) - it is very inaccurate if you do try and measure it as its very difficult (would require multiple satellites and some atomic clocks to get anything even close).

refraction would also explain their BS laser/radio wave 'experiments' over such a short distance.

Man of Honour
But the amount is nothing, you've drawn something like 100x taller than Everest.

Tallest building is only 820ish meters, you could do the maths, but it's going to be nothing. Would be surprised if it's even a mm.

Soldato
But the amount is nothing, you've drawn something like 100x taller than Everest.

Tallest building is only 820ish meters, you could do the maths, but it's going to be nothing. Would be surprised if it's even a mm.

i just did, based on 2 820m high buildings 1km apart the tops are 128mm wider than the bottom.

which is well within the accuracy of any gps i've ever heard of, even military spec stuff.

Soldato

convexearth1.jpg

GPS works by triangulating your position based on the time it takes a signal to be received from the GPS system to multiple satellites, it tells you your position on the planet relative to the satellites NOT relative to another person

Man of Honour
i just did, based on 2 820m high buildings 1km apart the tops are 128mm wider than the bottom.

which is well within the accuracy of any gps i've ever heard of, even military spec stuff.
Far more than I thought, but where do we have two such buildings.
And how does it prove anything?

Caporegime

not to mention that tall buildings aren't even that stationary... the top could well sway in the wind by more than the difference observed between the distances apart of the tops and bottoms of the buildings

Back
Top Bottom