*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
£18 for features you get for free on PC with some ***** ROMs thrown in to make it more appealing. Even worse, some zombies are ok with it over on console centric sites like Eurogamer, Nintendo Life, etc.

Many of these numpties have already forgotten that they got online for free on Nintendo consoles for years. Now they are ok with having to pay for it.

Console owners deserve to be ripped off. Their userbase are complete and utter monkeys.

Man of Honour
I suspect there will be some T&C's about not sharing outside of the family, a bit like Spotify say with their family membership so some caution required with how we go about this.

Indeed, which is why I'll wait until closer to launch when we'll know more of the details.

£18 for features you get for free on PC with some ***** ROMs thrown in to make it more appealing. Even worse, some zombies are ok with it over on console centric sites like Eurogamer, Nintendo Life, etc.

Many of these numpties have already forgotten that they got online for free on Nintendo consoles for years. Now they are ok with having to pay for it.

Console owners deserve to be ripped off. Their userbase are complete and utter monkeys.

What choice do I have if I want to play Splatoon 2 online? Luckily I'm in the situation where £18 is something I don't need to think about spending so I'll just pay up to get what I want.

Soldato
Meh, I kinda agree with Rock n Roll, being able to play Mario kart online for free then having to pay all of a sudden, going to leave a sour taste in the mouths of some, on the other hand it's miles cheaper than PSN/XBL paid service, like it or not i'll buy it once I've bought a few more games that warrant online play (don't have many at the mo)

Caporegime
If you had to pay from the get go then you would not be having these comments. And at the same time, if you were paying ofr what was already offered most people would be complaining at the lack lustre features. So the way I see it is they provided it for free whilst they sort the back end and other bits & pieces out to then offer a "proper" service, which they will then charge for.

Makes sense to me.

Soldato
If you had to pay from the get go then you would not be having these comments.

I probably would tbf, don't remember having to pay to play online for Wii & Wii U, but i fully understand where you're coming from and is quite fair.

The sight of NES games coming is a good sign we might be seeing some more virtual console stuff very soon!

Caporegime
I probably would tbf, don't remember having to pay to play online for Wii & Wii U, but i fully understand where you're coming from and is quite fair.

The sight of NES games coming is a good sign we might be seeing some more virtual console stuff very soon!

Apparently the name "Virtual Console" has been dropped. But we're unsure on what this actually means right now. I doubt it means that they won't be emulating older games on the switch, I think it just means not under the VC name.

Soldato
Apparently the name "Virtual Console" has been dropped. But we're unsure on what this actually means right now. I doubt it means that they won't be emulating older games on the switch, I think it just means not under the VC name.

As long as they bring some Ocarina of time to it they can call it whatever they like :D I can see myself spending a lot of money on having the ability to play the old greats on the move, Hoping they'll bring some of the gameboy pokemon games to the switch, doubt it though.

Caporegime
I haven't owned one for long enough to know the ins and outs but it's getting some bad flack on reddit (what doesn't), people are unhappy with having to use the phone app for features (voice chat) and that virtual console seems to have gone missing from their plans.

Soldato
A shame they are sticking with the shoddy phone app for voice chat, when there is no real reason to do it, after all you can do voice chat on the switch if doing a Splatoon lan game from what I remember.

Would still like ability to copy saves locally or to SD card

Soldato
I think local save ability will come later. Personally I've owned almost every console released since the SNES and I've never felt the need to copy a save nor move it to an external drive. I guess it would be a nice to have feature for those that want it, though.

Associate
I think £20 per year is a bit steep for a few ancient NES games and a cloud saving feature that probably should be included in the cost of the console. There's still no proper virtual console, backing up of saves to a memory card or proper online service with parties/achievements/whatnot.

I'm on the verge of selling my Switch. Despite initial promise and some absolutely stellar games, it's failing to live up to expectation.

Soldato
It's coming through as £17.99 per year. For the 600+ hours of online fun I've had this past year for free I think it's more than reasonable. Stable online infrastructures cost money - to me this was always going to happen and to be fair they've been up front about it from the start so no one should be surprised. Would I prefer it if it were free? Maybe but then I might like to play some retro games on my Switch and I will always look for discounted stuff and for £1.50 per month I think I can manage to give them that much.

Associate
I don't care too much about the classic games or cloud saves but both will be nice too have. Happy to pay £18 a year though especially if it means more discounts on digital games (I buy mostly digital).

Back
Top Bottom