**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Thread ****

Soldato
Nope... the phone is a dual SIM grey import (Middle East, I think), which I reflashed with a ROM from Sammobile... I *think* it was either Three UK, or unbranded, I really can't remember (is there anyway to check on the phone?).

Cheers,

Su

Soldato
Regarding the pink line of death, Ive had my phone fixed. After being quoted between £250-£350 I got it done for £45, which included collection and delivery.

Only downside was using a Nokia N95 while it was gone. If anyone is interested have a look at http://applendroidz.com/

Soldato
Updated last night; all good so far. Seems a lot smoother (said by every Android user ever, after upgrading their phone software :D ), and there are some nice little touches like the edge lighting.

I use a pretty customised Nova Launcher setup, so very little has changed that I can actually see...!

Hopefully they will continue to support it for at least the next year or so with security patches etc. I think I read somewhere they recently stopped supporting the S6, so that seems reasonable to expect (though sad they can't manage ~5 years like Apple). Will see what the Note 9 is like, I guess!

Su

Soldato
Cousin tried updating his s7 edge last night, he's on vodafone, it completely messed his phone up. I tried wiping cache from the boot menu, then wiping all data etc but despite being stuck in a loop it eventually worked after he'd ejected his sim and was setting up his spare phone.

Soldato
Sucks about the Vodafone update :(

QQ that's been bugging me about this phone, but I keep forgetting to ask; how do you get the volume buttons to consistently control casting volume when you are using Google Home / Chromecast?

When I start Spotify and then connect it to a cast device, the volume buttons will work a couple of times, but then will just stop and start controlling the ringtone volume instead. To then get the cast device volume, I have to open up the Google Home app, and go to the actual device and change the volume there, which is a PITA.

This might be a Spotify problem rather than Android, but wanted to check...

Cheers,

Su

Associate
Well mine did the update overnight and can't even get the thing to switch on now. Am on vodafone as well.

Any ideas as to how to get it to switch on, got usb charger plugged in but nothing on screen, volume down and power doesn't work, just seems to be completely dead. Would wireless charging work with it to charge the battery?

Soldato
If the battery is completely dead (likely as it would not have shut down from the loop when very low on battery) it will take a while for the screen to respond when you put it into charge.

Once charged up to 100%, get into recovery and do a factory reset.

Associate
I had the oreo update a couple of weeks ago for my S7 and i have a little problem when I put my phone on vibrate. Every 15 mins or something it will just randomly vibrate as if I have a notification but nothing is showing.

Associate
Well mine did the update overnight and can't even get the thing to switch on now. Am on vodafone as well.

Any ideas as to how to get it to switch on, got usb charger plugged in but nothing on screen, volume down and power doesn't work, just seems to be completely dead. Would wireless charging work with it to charge the battery?

Well after it being unlpugged for hours plugged it back in and it started to charge and started to work again so am hapy it's also done the upgrade properly. Worst thing was having to restore from a backup.

Associate
My phone is on Vodafone, but purchased from a 3rd party, so I don't think has the Vodafone firmware (no Vodafone logo when booting etc.).

I've received the April security update, but no Oreo - would have expected it by now?

Soldato
What a disastrous Vodafone rollout. Many people that don't use cloud backup services will have lost a lot of data.

A poster on the samsung forum has claimed a vodafone technician he spoke to mentioned he has to deal with 100+ calls on the issue in a single day and he isn't alone.

I called Vodafone at the weekend and received a callback from them yesterday morning

The technician told me that he had just over 100 calls to make that day regarding this problem, that there were 5 other technicians on the calls as well with a similar workload, and that Samsungs message to them was to advise not to install it as there is a bug which they are trying to rectify. He also admitted that he didn't know what was the trigger for the bug but that it definitely does not affect every S7.

Mine now is working on 8.0.0 with no problems or glitches

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5...les/samsung-S7-oreo-update-issues/td-p/510127

It seems Samsung may halt the rollout to any more phones.

Hi all.

To keep you all informed, our official statement and advised troubleshooting for anyone experiencing this issue:

Following a limited number of cases where Galaxy S7 devices have rebooted unexpectedly with the Android 8.0 Oreo, we have temporarily stopped the rollout of the update. We are investigating the issue internally to ensure that the impact to the affected devices is minimized and the rollout of the update can resume as quickly as possible.”

Advised troubleshooting for those encountering this issue:

1. In the first instance, please visit your local face-to-face Support Centre (UK; Ireland) where our teams will help to restore your phones so that you can use them. While it cannot be guaranteed, we will do our best to try to restore your data.

2. If you’re unable to visit a Support Centre, please perform a Factory data Reset in Recovery Mode. Be aware, if a Factory Data Reset is chosen, you will lose all of your data stored on your phone and it will return to an out of box state.

To launch in Recovery mode and perform a Factory Data Reset:
  • Turn off device pressing Power +Volume Down keys. Restart as normal
  • Turn on your phone while pressing Power + Menu + Volume Up
  • Continue to hold these buttons down as the blue screen with the Android Logo appears and checks for updates.
  • The Android logo and ‘no command’ will appear, release the buttons and wait for the ‘Android Recovery’ screen to appear. This may take a minute.
  • Use the volume keys to navigate to ‘Wipe Data/Factory Data reset
  • Use Power Key to select this option which will be highlighted
3. If the issue persists after this, please contact our Support teams so they can arrange a postal repair for you. (For this option, please be aware that all of your data stored on your phone will be lost.)

Soldato
So now I don't seem to be able to control the volume of music playing over bluetooth. Doesn't automatically play when paired with my car transmitter anymore.

Night mode Always on display isn't an option now. I liked the small time on the side.

I'm not sure if there's any features that I have noticed that are any good :s

Soldato
Similar problem here... frequently can't see any cast devices on my GS7 (Google Home x 2, Chromecast), whereas my other Android devices can see them.

Volume control doesn't work anymore either...

Not a dealbreaker, but a significant PITA.

Soldato
I can't believe how much I'm hating this update.

Can't disable charging LED.

Samsung Pay has just decided to come up on my Google launcher.

Battery life has taken a hit.

I actually think I may install a custom ROM this weekend. I have been quite happy with Samsung but it looks like they are going back to bloated crap again.

Soldato
Yeah I've been having issues casting since the update, okay sometimes but I often have to reboot the phone before it will see my Chromecast.

And what the hell is that intrusive Samsung pay thing about, seems to have gone for now but had it appear several times.

Back
Top Bottom