• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Bans ASRock From Entering European GPU Market

Soldato
The GPP isn't comparable to this and given Nvidia shut it down with that BS 'we're the victims' blog post, one would think that, by now, even the loyalest of fans would see the GPP for what it was.

This, here, is AMD having existing deals with 3rd parties to sell their GPUs in specific regions. It is not, as the GPP was, an illegal practice designed to to further remove the competition from the market. What AMD are doing with its partners has nothing to do with Nvidia whatsoever - It's a different ball game entirely sp quite why people are trying to conflate the two I don't know. Desperate for **** to stick to AMD maybe.

Soldato
The GPP isn't comparable to this and given Nvidia shut it down with that BS 'we're the victims' blog post, one would think that, by now, even the loyalest of fans would see the GPP for what it was.

This, here, is AMD having existing deals with 3rd parties to sell their GPUs in specific regions. It is not, as the GPP was, an illegal practice designed to to further remove the competition from the market. What AMD are doing with its partners has nothing to do with Nvidia whatsoever - It's a different ball game entirely sp quite why people are trying to conflate the two I don't know. Desperate for **** to stick to AMD maybe.

Pretty much the end of the thread. Common sense and well put. Nothing more needs to be said tbh.

Soldato

Over the years, any time nVidia was caught doing something sketchy, to outright bad, the usual suspects would come out and go "AMD DID THIS" and go on about something AMD had done, while crying about fanboys.

It's the same people trying to downplay GPP. They really must be part of the nVidia Focus Group.

Soldato
Limiting the number of allowed competitors sounds like... anti-competitive cartel practices.

"The market" is supposed to decide how many competitors there can be. Any artificial constraint imposed by a company, such as the one we're describing, is done with the intention of keeping prices and profit margins higher, at the expense of the consumer.

Of course since it's AMD doing it, it's righteous and proper and done purely for the common good to benefit all mankind...

I suggest you sit down and have a serious think about what you are saying.

Soldato

ASRock got into the GPU game with cryptocurrency mining in mind. Indeed, it was initially reported that they were launching mining-based SKUs. What I've been told -- and I confirmed this twice over the phone and again via email -- is that in Europe, ASRock has decided not to sell Phantom Gaming graphics cards commercially. They won't appear in online or brick-and-mortal PC retail shops. They are only intended for miners and industrial use. Furthermore, the minimum order quantity for these customers is 500 pieces.

How awkward for everyone who made an argument based on buying a single graphics card.

bru

bru

Soldato

ASRock got into the GPU game with cryptocurrency mining in mind. Indeed, it was initially reported that they were launching mining-based SKUs. What I've been told -- and I confirmed this twice over the phone and again via email -- is that in Europe, ASRock has decided not to sell Phantom Gaming graphics cards commercially. They won't appear in online or brick-and-mortal PC retail shops. They are only intended for miners and industrial use. Furthermore, the minimum order quantity for these customers is 500 pieces.

Interesting, if accurate.

Associate
Soldato
Like i said, seems strange for them to be entering now, when the bubble has burst, and the ASICs are now here.
Well, if memory is not failing me, AsRock seem to started on the motherboard business relatively late, if we compare them to the likes of Gigabyte, Asus, MSI that's been around for a long time as well?

I'm guessing may be they want to give the graphic card manufacturing a go since they probably with the factory and equipment to be able to do so, and with the high demand of graphic card on Cryto-mining (despite they are late to the party with it seem to start to slow down a bit). I think other AIB partners have already slowed down their productions for the AMD cards, but may be AsRock is still feeling lucky and want to take a gamble and chuck out some more cards and make some money?

Soldato
Like i said, seems strange for them to be entering now, when the bubble has burst, and the ASICs are now here.
ASICs have been here for half a decade, it's nothing new and they don't really impact GPU mining aside from causing the rise of new altcoins. The bubble as it were was a case of coin value growing much faster than difficulty, making mining super profitable again for a short period, it's happened before and will probably happen again.

Soldato
ASICs have been here for half a decade, it's nothing new and they don't really impact GPU mining aside from causing the rise of new altcoins. The bubble as it were was a case of coin value growing much faster than difficulty, making mining super profitable again for a short period, it's happened before and will probably happen again.

Yes but not for Ethereum mining. They are just after coming out. ASIC miners have to be built for each specific coin.

Soldato
Over the years, any time nVidia was caught doing something sketchy, to outright bad, the usual suspects would come out and go "AMD DID THIS" and go on about something AMD had done, while crying about fanboys.

It's the same people trying to downplay GPP. They really must be part of the nVidia Focus Group.

Perhaps you can list out for us the benefits now available to consumers seeing that NVIDIA has denounced the GPP program?

I just want to make sure you fully understand (and others can see also) what you've been vexing about the last few weeks. Personally, I don't care either way, but you do.

Now that partners aren't going to be tied to anything, let's see how much you really comprehend, Spoffle. I can tell you now, the answer is not a great deal.

Soldato
Perhaps you can list out for us the benefits now available to consumers seeing that NVIDIA has denounced the GPP program?

I just want to make sure you fully understand (and others can see also) what you've been vexing about the last few weeks. Personally, I don't care either way, but you do.

Now that partners aren't going to be tied to anything, let's see how much you really comprehend, Spoffle. I can tell you now, the answer is not a great deal.
Please, do show me what I've been "vexing" about for the past few weeks.

**Insult removed**

Also, give us all a list of the perks of being a member of the nVidia Focus Group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Two wildly different things (bans appears to be a made up word anyway in this article, it appears they've made a region specific partnership so asrock chooses not to would be more accurate no?)

Must confess I don't know what the criteria are for being an approved partner in certain regions - regulatory, support, marketing commitment, other? Would be curious to know.

Still always sad to not have more choice, not that the asrock offerings looked interesting so far.

This is something I'm wondering too. Have AMD actually banned AsRock outright or just not permitted them from selling in EU because they do not have the support structure, etc, in place?

Whilst I would love more choice and more competition there is little point having it if the commercial agreements are not place, from user to supplier to manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom