Battletech

Soldato
I haven't had that problem, they usually just walk up and try to kill me. I tend to go balls deep and brawl with my lance so maybe that's why I haven't encountered it.

I will admit to save scumming once or twice when my gauss rifle got destroyed, but I generally try to accept the consequences of messing up.

Associate
Just a couple of tips.

Try to move (not sprint) or jump the furthest you can before you fire to gain maximum evasion, you can see the amount of evasion you acquire by looking at the white chevrons next the to mech when your plotting your move.

Also, when moving in battle, when dragging the mouse around look for gold chevrons appearing either side of the target mech(s) in your firing arc, the more gold the better hit chance I believe.

Associate
I'm trying to like it but kept getting silly odds as above like tanks that one shot my Mechs or 3 Mechs against 6 or the last mission I tried the target was right next to their escape spot so was able to run to it as soon as I did enough damage!

There are a few things that I picked up from playing.

Firstly keep your mechs moving, they should not be standing in the same place for 2/3/4 rounds unless you need them to (eg. remove instability bars) .... the chevrons you have at the side of the status bars of your mech are evasion stats, each evasion chevron gets used up per attack and it will reduce the chance to hit ... also if your mech is taking damage from one side then you can move it so that side isn't exposed anymore. Try to not have your mechs' backs face the enemy. Sometimes you just need to use sprint or jump jets to get the evasion up .... also use mountains as cover as line of sight is used for long range missiles (unless of course you are sensor locked which you cannot avoid them).

Using precision shots is very useful, they use morale points and morale is gained from many things within the battlefield (killing mechs, etc) and on your ship (monthly spending, events, ship upgrades, etc). If you pay the monthly upkeep for higher morale then when you enter the battlefield, you could potentially kill 1 or 2 mechs in the first few rounds using precision shots straightaway.

Associate
There is a guy on YouTube i'm following who is really into it and has some great vids on how to play this game, called MoltenMetal. Really helpful stuff to a BM noob like me.

I'm loving it, totally addicted to it right now, just not finding enough time to play it.

One question regarding called shots though. The percentage you see in the called shot window, is that added to your base chance for that area on the target or not? So 5% for a head shot in the called shot window would be added to your base weapon chance? How do the called shot percentages work? If you miss on the 5% is that a total weapon miss or will it fall back on your general weapon percentage for anywhere on the mech?

And is there any way of resetting your skill points, hack or otherwise. As i think I've totally mucked my points up.

Soldato
I have been using precision to target the most powerful weapons ASAP. Panthers being a common one as the PPC is on the left arm and as soon as that disabled they are mostly harmless.

As you say Weazle there are stats to be used more cleverly hence why I'm going to start again. I like to tinker with Mechs but the time penalty can be high for that and the Mechs have loads of slots but hardly any chance of filling them. I think I remember fibrous armour in previous games which was more effective but took up lots of room so there was a three way balance between space/armour/weaponry but this time there's more time vs money limits I think.

Soldato
There is a guy on YouTube i'm following who is really into it and has some great vids on how to play this game, called MoltenMetal. Really helpful stuff to a BM noob like me.

I'm loving it, totally addicted to it right now, just not finding enough time to play it.

One question regarding called shots though. The percentage you see in the called shot window, is that added to your base chance for that area on the target or not? So 5% for a head shot in the called shot window would be added to your base weapon chance? How do the called shot percentages work? If you miss on the 5% is that a total weapon miss or will it fall back on your general weapon percentage for anywhere on the mech?

And is there any way of resetting your skill points, hack or otherwise. As i think I've totally mucked my points up.
Yeah baradul (as he's known in mwo) is a great resource

The percentage to hit is increased by called shots, but the percentage to hit is just that :the chance for that weapon to hit the mech somewhere. The called shot percentage is the chance for a hit to hit that specific component. So if you have 80%chance to hit, and 60% chance to hit the CT, then you have 80% chance to hit the mech, and if it hits you have a 60% chance it'll hit the CT.

Soldato
I have been using precision to target the most powerful weapons ASAP. Panthers being a common one as the PPC is on the left arm and as soon as that disabled they are mostly harmless.

As you say Weazle there are stats to be used more cleverly hence why I'm going to start again. I like to tinker with Mechs but the time penalty can be high for that and the Mechs have loads of slots but hardly any chance of filling them. I think I remember fibrous armour in previous games which was more effective but took up lots of room so there was a three way balance between space/armour/weaponry but this time there's more time vs money limits I think.
Get your ship upgraded. Once you get more tech points it's only a couple days to refit an undamaged mech. For me it's pilot injuries that tend to take a while. Even with the hospital I had a fully injured pilot take 50 days to heal! Generally if I take a lot of head hits I can travel to a good contract and they'll be all half up before I get there though, and mechs all patched up.

I have 2 spare pilots and a few extra mechs just in case though.

The last contract I did was me dropping 3 assaults and a heavy, thinking I'd stomp it, then faced 9 heavy mechs. Actually lost a mech and pilot in that one

Associate
Well i was going to restart as I'm not too far in, maybe 3 or 4 story missions. I've just been doing side missions to get xp and gear. I'm not too happy with my skill points setup so thought it worth a reboot. Then I ended up getting 2 Orion parts on a one skull mission! I don't think that will ever happen again. So not sure whether to carry on hoping for part 3 or restart and lose it.

I'd love to be stomping around in an Orion in the early game but just badly skilled up.

Soldato
Well i was going to restart as I'm not too far in, maybe 3 or 4 story missions. I've just been doing side missions to get xp and gear. I'm not too happy with my skill points setup so thought it worth a reboot. Then I ended up getting 2 Orion parts on a one skull mission! I don't think that will ever happen again. So not sure whether to carry on hoping for part 3 or restart and lose it.

I'd love to be stomping around in an Orion in the early game but just badly skilled up.

You want bulwark and multishot for most of your pilots I've found. Sensor lock is handy early game, but I've found that once you're fielding heavies and assaults evasive maneuvers becomes worthless unless the mech has jump jets (and even then they tend to run hot so you don't want to be jumping everywhere)

Soldato
^^^ Right click the game in your Library, choose Options, go to the Betas tab and opt in.

You want bulwark and multishot for most of your pilots I've found. Sensor lock is handy early game, but I've found that once you're fielding heavies and assaults evasive maneuvers becomes worthless unless the mech has jump jets (and even then they tend to run hot so you don't want to be jumping everywhere)

Even though Sensor Lock is weak, there's a growing consensus that Master Tactician is the way to go, combined with Multishot for your headcapper and Bulwark for everyone else. The increased initiative is good, but at 10 Tactics you also have an 18% chance to score a called shot to the head. Late in the game when you're both facing and fielding Assaults and Heavies, a Multishot/MT with two AC/20s or a Gauss Rifle has around a 95% chance to hit and 33% chance to instakill at least one enemy Mech including killing enemy Assaults before they have the chance to activate.

Soldato
I might give that a go with my next pilot. I have pushed tactics right up with most of my pilots, but as I said the majority are bulwark and multishot. I have a couple at max gunnery for my energy boats (thunderbolt with 2x large and a butt load of mediums and heatsinks is a great ranged tickler with a good gunner)
^^^ Right click the game in your Library, choose Options, go to the Betas tab and opt in.

Even though Sensor Lock is weak, there's a growing consensus that Master Tactician is the way to go, combined with Multishot for your headcapper and Bulwark for everyone else. The increased initiative is good, but at 10 Tactics you also have an 18% chance to score a called shot to the head. Late in the game when you're both facing and fielding Assaults and Heavies, a Multishot/MT with two AC/20s or a Gauss Rifle has around a 95% chance to hit and 33% chance to instakill at least one enemy Mech including killing enemy Assaults before they have the chance to activate.

Associate
yeah i'll be on this. I'm hoping it'll be on the steam sale but i highly doubt it.

Been playing mechwarrior online since day one and the new mechwarrior mercenaries looks good too

Associate
I'm looking for an upgrade to my missile mech. Ive been using a centurion forever with lrm 15 and 20's but I want something better now I'm starting to face harder hitters.

Rest of the team is doing well, got a Grasshopper for the meatshield loaded out with ml's and a catapult with two ac5's . I ditched the 2 ppc's as they generated too much heat.

Only thing I'm trying to work out is a good close or medium range support mech to the grasshopper.

Soldato
Whats the deal with it taking such a long time to repair mechs, i'm only a couple of priority missions in, but it seems to take a month and a half to repair heavily damaged mechs. Also i made a school boy error and outfitted one of my medium mechs with not a whole lot of armour, unsurprisingly it didnt last long in a firefight.

Associate
Whats the deal with it taking such a long time to repair mechs, i'm only a couple of priority missions in, but it seems to take a month and a half to repair heavily damaged mechs. Also i made a school boy error and outfitted one of my medium mechs with not a whole lot of armour, unsurprisingly it didnt last long in a firefight.

You need to upgrade the mech bay, initially you won't be doing that until after a certain priority mission.

Back
Top Bottom