The Expanse

Caporegime
It is really cliché to be fair but when the story kicks in properly it gets pretty fun.
S2 I really like. I love the 3 way coldwar conflict style. Some of the ships are cool as f too.

Mormon one is lol.

Reminds me of Babylon 5 in parts.

Man of Honour
What the hell is wrong with people, Firefly, brilliant show cancelled way before its time, you would have thought they would have learned. Really sickens me that there are so many utterly awful tv shows which get renewed and renewed and end up with 9 or 10 seasons yet quality stuff like Firefly and The Expanse get canned.

Soldato
What the hell is wrong with people, Firefly, brilliant show cancelled way before its time, you would have thought they would have learned. Really sickens me that there are so many utterly awful tv shows which get renewed and renewed and end up with 9 or 10 seasons yet quality stuff like Firefly and The Expanse get canned.

Damn straight.

Like others have said; hoping Netflix will pick this up, like they did with Travelers. I'm guessing that would have been another show was going to get canned had they not, so I'm pleased they picked that up.

Caporegime
Assume this is due to a financial reason? A really good Syfy show are few and far between considering the rest of the crap they air. Considering how quickly B99 got picked up, have some faith.

Don
Assume this is due to a financial reason? A really good Syfy show are few and far between considering the rest of the crap they air. Considering how quickly B99 got picked up, have some faith.

Reportedly the budget for each episode is $5-10million, and SYFY just weren't seeing the ad-revenue returns to justify it.

Caporegime
Woa I did not know it was that expensive, fair enough. Although how is a show like this not making money? That's the aim of the game right?

Caporegime
When did TV shows become so expensive? Could have always been like this but I remember Boardwalk Empire been one of the first times I took notice, though I think that's because it was one of the most expensive pilot episodes of its time.

Commissario
When did TV shows become so expensive? Could have always been like this but I remember Boardwalk Empire been one of the first times I took notice, though I think that's because it was one of the most expensive pilot episodes of its time.
American TV shows have often been expensive (anyone remember when the cast of friends were getting around a million an episode each?*), i'd imagine with the Expanse the SFX will be costing a lot, as will the large number of cast and costumes.

I think part of it is simply the expense vs ad revanue, but syfi/sci-fi/whatever they call themselves this week has a history of dumping shows that are or were profitable simply because they could make more money showing non genre programming that is far cheaper to buy in and has a wider appeal (the US channel was showing wrestling for a long time, and both the UK and US channels often showed very low quaity stuff that had a lot of sex/violence because it got higher ratings than actual decent scifi).

*IIRC around 2000 they were on a million each which was probably half or more of the total cost per episode.

Soldato
I doubt the cast are costing a lot for The Expanse seeing as most of them are Z-grade nobodies. The sets and FX are pretty decent though, probably where most of the money is going.

I suspect most people (like me) are watching on Netflix, and SyFy didn't charge enough when they flogged it to them.

Caporegime
Sy-Fy must really have terrible deal makers if they can only ever get TV revenue (which is utterly terrible for these niche markets nowadays, TV ownership is not dying, but certainly I haven't watched anything on a TV for almost a year).

Netflix has declined to pick it up, because no doubt the same reasons as everyone else, it's financially bad on their reports and i can only assume they won't budge unless Amazon sells it's US market, so it's up to Amazon now who may not budge because Netflix wont budge... awkward.

Soldato
Gutted to hear this but at the same time not totally surprised... Killing off the cop in S2 who was pretty much the main character seemed premature and there was nobody with his charisma to fill his shoes.
Damn shame but if shows like Firefly get canned then nothing is safe!!

Soldato
Gutted to hear this but at the same time not totally surprised... Killing off the cop in S2 who was pretty much the main character seemed premature and there was nobody with his charisma to fill his shoes.
Damn shame but if shows like Firefly get canned then nothing is safe!!
I always figured he wasn't dead and would be reborn with some of that proto molecule stuff.

Back
Top Bottom