Sizzling hot backplate 1080

Associate
Hi,
Maybe a noob question, but I've never touched the backplate of a running GTX 1080 until the other day.
I have a new crazy rig I'm testing and overclocking to the max. My temps are high (57 degree GPU) but my backplate (aftermarket fullcover EK backplate with thermalpads) is sizzling hot. Getting worried. Can't touch it for more than a few seconds. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? There is some airflow from a fan directed at the card from below, but still...

Secondary question is what you guys think of a single 140 mm rad that I could fit in - would it make much of a difference on gpu temps? I might be a tad low on fanpower and rads as it is only a 30 mm thick rad.

My rig:
GTX 1080 Titan X Pascal (overclocked to to max)
Hardware Labs GTS 360
TT Plus fans (1500 rpm) x 3
Open air case

Ambient temperature: 22 degrees.
Water-temperature: 30 degrees (idle) / 46 degrees (heavy oc)
GPU temp: 32 degrees (idle) / 57 degrees (heavy oc)

I'm not sure I can trust the temps for water 100% as it is connected on the GPU inlet and could be heated up from the actual block.

Many thanks for input.

Soldato
A hot backplate to me just means the thermal pads are doing their job. It will be the VRM's that are producing the heat and can run at 80-100degrees.

The only thing to check would be if the water block is making good contact with VRM's if not they might only be cooled passively by the backplate that could be dangerous

Soldato
It’s fine it’s doing it’s job, this has been posted before quite a few times. I tested a fan placed on it and whilst the plate was cool to touch the temps of the GPU were identical so shows it’s fine as is.

I wouldn’t add another rad as you have decent temps already for a high clocked GPU...

Associate
OP
Thanks for your input guys. Was worried about the VRam.
I have never run anything on 24/7 with maxed gpu with only 360 rads, but couldn't resist as I'm mining crypto for fun.

Was thinking of even doing some DIY and connecting heatpipes to the waterblock :)

But I'm happy to hear the temps are okay - I usually opt for bursts in GPU usage (or headset when gaming) so the gpu never got this hot in other rigs.

The watertemp is a bit of a concern.
Thinking of adding a 140 (30 mm rad), but still not sure if it would do any good.

Soldato
A 140mm radiator is ~45% the area of a 360mm. So you'd be adding not quite half the cooling capacity. It will help but by how much I can't say. There are delta-T calculators that are a bit more detailed but it's not a precise art with so many variables.

Soldato
since you've already got a block no point in changing but Heatkiller and Alphacool blocks offer slightly better cooling for their backplates. Alphacool has ridges to increase surface area which mating slightly with my block and then heatkiller has a heatpipe that runs from the backplate to the waterblock :)

Back
Top Bottom