Faults with house

Soldato
Why some people seem scared of asking things of sellers i don't know. We even argued that they hadn't paid that years ground rent so we got £5 for that as well. It helped that there solicitor was about as cheap as they come and we used the best we could, and it showed we got everything we asked and often more.

Things like the leaky radiator well when we first viewed our offer dropped by 5k as soon as we saw the boiler and radiators then a further 2k for the mains wiring in total we firmly offered 15k below asking price. To fix the issues we found.

If you didnt spot a leaky radiator you didnt look hard enough before putting an offer in.
In my area your 15k under offer would be laughed at the vendor woukdvsimply say the house is priced to include these and move on to the sealed bids overcasking the next weekend. Everyone's purchasing experience differs depends entirely what you are buying and where!

Soldato
In my area your 15k under offer would be laughed at the vendor woukdvsimply say the house is priced to include these and move on to the sealed bids overcasking the next weekend. Everyone's purchasing experience differs depends entirely what you are buying and where!

More to the point unless it's new I think it's well understood it's buyer beware with a house purchases. Minor things like this OP is describing are just part of the experience.

Associate
OP
Didn't expect to stir up such a fuss here! For those saying I didn't check the house well enough, it's 18 months old so didn't feel the need to check every piece of plumbing and that the doors close!

And yes I get that the house isn't a new TV, I'm not a moron. I've had buyer try to claim off me on a previous house sale because they said a door didn't lock, it was totally untrue as I locked it when I left and when I asked to see the locksmiths invoice they couldn't provide it so I guess I was drawing on this experience

And of course the survey didn't pull this up because funnily enough I read the survey and it didn't mention it

Soldato
Didn't expect to stir up such a fuss here! For those saying I didn't check the house well enough, it's 18 months old so didn't feel the need to check every piece of plumbing and that the doors close!

And yes I get that the house isn't a new TV, I'm not a moron. I've had buyer try to claim off me on a previous house sale because they said a door didn't lock, it was totally untrue as I locked it when I left and when I asked to see the locksmiths invoice they couldn't provide it so I guess I was drawing on this experience

And of course the survey didn't pull this up because funnily enough I read the survey and it didn't mention it

Point is even if your previous buyer had an invoice they don't have a leg to stand on, it's vaguely similar to second hand cars.. in fact the more you spend the less rights to redress you seem to have.

So with a house, unless it's subsiding or for example something fundamental has changed like a boiler being removed or something you've really got no comeback at all.

Hence the fuss :) those who have been through this a few times find all this a bit amusing

Associate

Under 2 years old? Contact the builder get them in to sort those issues.

Associate
OP
I've fixed the radiator now anyway, I think my post was a bit of a rage post and wasn't really considering that it isn't that big of a deal

I'll have a stab at the door over the weekend and restore my state of calm

Soldato
We had a radiator burst after we had accepted an offer on our house (the third one to go within 2 years - think they were all reaching EOL). I just turned it off, slapped on some filler and paint and left it.

Was somewhat amused to drive past later in the year, approaching winter, to see that very radiator sat in the front garden :D

Soldato
Under 2 years old? Contact the builder get them in to sort those issues.

This is a cracking point actually, if it's that new it's definitely under warranty.

We had a radiator burst after we had accepted an offer on our house (the third one to go within 2 years - think they were all reaching EOL). I just turned it off, slapped on some filler and paint and left it.

Was somewhat amused to drive past later in the year, approaching winter, to see that very radiator sat in the front garden :D

And that sir is a **** move.

Couldn't do that, I need to sleep at night and I'm a strong believer in what goes around etc..

Soldato

Couldn't do that, I need to sleep at night and I'm a strong believer in what goes around etc..
To be fair to him it would probably have been obvious that the radiators were old and would need replacing at some point. I was fully expecting to replace all the radiators in my house when I bought it (they are 40+ years old) and I'll do them one a time. A burst one would have just expedited the replacement of one for me.

Soldato

It's not that big a deal- it's only £50 for a new one. I'd have done it myself if I wasn't moving out in a couple of weeks. I made it so it was nice and tidy, and they got 6 months blissful ignorance out of their new house before switching the heating on and finding the issue. They quite possible wouldn't even have realised I did it at all :p

Soldato
It's not that big a deal- it's only £50 for a new one. I'd have done it myself if I wasn't moving out in a couple of weeks. I made it so it was nice and tidy, and they got 6 months blissful ignorance out of their new house before switching the heating on and finding the issue. They quite possible wouldn't even have realised I did it at all :p

Or they go around in late summer, turn the radiator on in a room they dont use much when they spot its off. Walk away then head away for the weekend. Come back to a flood/big mess.

I would either have fixed it or turned off, purchase new radiator and made them aware of the issue so they dont have a nasty surprise... Hiding it is not on IMO.

Soldato
If it doesn't pick it up on the full survey (not homebuyers or valuation, always commission an independent full survey via RICS surveyor) and it wasn't on the fixtures or fittings list then caveat emptor.

You have case for recourse if for example there is a notable degradation of condition or it's not left clean and tidy which will form part of the contract. If it's dirty and rubbish is left your solicitor will be able to reclaim cost of rectification, disposal or cleaning.

Ultimately you have to assume some minor jobs Inc decorating will need doing.

Associate
Obviously it's possibly things can occur between survey (and any inspection you do) and the completion date. It is recommended to give the property a quick once over as soon as you get the keys on completion day to confirm that you're getting what you've agreed to such as condition and fixtures/fittings etc. Can take pics etc of the empty house and then immediately tell your solicitor of any issues. You can still move in but then these issues can be addressed ASAP. Makes sense really.

Back
Top Bottom