Hawaii, Maui - Anyone been?

Soldato
Wife and I are hoping to honeymoon there (long overdue!) next year at some point. It's been delayed as when we were married, my wife went back to the states and I followed suit several months later. We got too many trips back to the EU this year to accommodate a 2/3 weeks break in Hawaii so that's why next year.

We're looking for a full 5 star resort for adults only, all inclusive, honey moon package sort of thing. Having never been to Hawaii, I'm not sure we'll be able to easily find what we're looking for. So, any suggestions?

http://www.unforgettablehoneymoons....luxury-maui-honeymoon-at-ritz-carlton-kapalua

This is something I am looking at, but the 'almost all inclusive' doesn't really sell it to me. It either is or not...

Associate
Do It !

But why not visit the other islands whilst you are there?

Big Island is amazing, no really you need to go! Maui is great but you can easily drive round the island in not too much time, it does have the best beaches for sunbathing, i would miss most of the pearl harbour and waikiki as it a tourist and poseur trap - paying extra on the mighty mo tour is however worth it....

If you want true 5 star you probably wont really find it in Hawaii - it is however magical.

Last point, you can walk around all the islands as the shore line is not private property much to the chagrin of people like michael DELL

Soldato
OP
Do It !

But why not visit the other islands whilst you are there?

Big Island is amazing, no really you need to go! Maui is great but you can easily drive round the island in not too much time, it does have the best beaches for sunbathing, i would miss most of the pearl harbour and waikiki as it a tourist and poseur trap - paying extra on the mighty mo tour is however worth it....

If you want true 5 star you probably wont really find it in Hawaii - it is however magical.

Last point, you can walk around all the islands as the shore line is not private property much to the chagrin of people like michael DELL

We're planning 2 to 3 weeks, so absolutely we'll be island hopping for a few days at a time. But we still want a 'home' where we have 0 cares when we get there and are treated like royalty!

Thank you very much for your input though mate, duly noted and wife updated!

Associate
we stayed at Kaanapali Beach hotel - which isn't the most modern hotels but we liked it there. however more modern hotels are around like the one you've highlighted. there are lots of things to do/see in Maui. don't need to do all inclusive unless you plan to stay at your resort - lots of nice restaurants around everywhere. We had a car so could drive 10min down the road for dinner etc.
most hotels I found were Bed only and then you had to pay for breakfast (unless your travel agent sorted out a breakfast thing prior), also parking is charged even at hotel if you have a car.

Of course a short hop from there is Big Island, which is amazing (not sure at present in terms of travelling there due to ongoing volcanic eruption).
We also visited Kauai Island, which is really beautiful.

Man of Honour
Of course a short hop from there is Big Island, which is amazing (not sure at present in terms of travelling there due to ongoing volcanic eruption).

Currently not a problem as it is only significantly impacting a small part of the island but that could change at any time especially with things like wind direction which might force grounding of flights depending on the levels of ash.

EDIT: Obviously this is just Big Island - Oahu, Maui, etc. are unlikely to be affected at all unless it gets way worse than anticipated.

Last edited:
Soldato
My brother honeymoon'd in Hawaii. Said it was awesome. Make sure you do some of the activities on offer. They offered some of the highlights of their trip.

Associate
My mate got married in Maui and we spent a week there, some things we did:

Wake up early to catch sunrise at the top of Haleakela - It's 10k ft and you can watch the sunrise from above the clouds and when we went there were Hawaiian women dancing and chanting performing some ceremony to welcome the sun, not sure if this is every morning though.. (This was my favourite thing EVER!) You drive up and there is also a cafe about half way down on the side of the mountain where you can get amazing pancakes and insane views
Mountain bike down the volcano - pre arranged tour and bike hire
Get a snorkelling charter to Molokini - it's like a horseshoe shaped cove off the island with warm/clear water and loads to see often come back via "Turtle town" for pretty much guaranteed up close with well... turtles
Maui brewing co. - Because everyone likes a local beer
Road to hana tour - takes a day, you can get guide CDs from the supermarkets/stores and follow them as you drive (assuming you hire a car and like classic single lane no lines driving)
Go to Lahaina - shops, restaurants and a massive Banyan tree which has a market/night entertainment around it some days
Enjoy the beaches and the freedom to walk on/off any you want and in/out of the hotel bars as you please
Get on the mai-tais - great cocktail and keep an eye out for lunch/evening happy hours!
Whale watching - not sure if this is all year round but check it out - usually 2-3hrs cruise so ideal for a short filler
Luau - plenty of them around you can book from hotels usually, I didn't personally go but some of the others guys did and really enjoyed it (all you can eat/drink at the one they went to)

Be prepared for crazy weather - hot and windy and the wind blows the cool air/mist down off the mountains/volcano over the beaches which is actually kinda refreshing - you will get sand blasted on occasion.

Enjoy your trip - I will be going back one day to visit the other islands! :)

Associate
I was there for 2 weeks as part of my honeymoon last year. We stayed at Hotel Wailea on Maui which was adults only but self catered, they do offer breakfast though and there's a great restaurant at the hotel. On Big Island we stayed at Holualoa Inn where we only had breakfast included. Both places were incredible. However, as you're wanting all-inclusive I guess these wouldn't be for you.

We found it really difficult to find a nice hotel in Hawaii that was not a huge resort with hundreds of rooms. If you're wanting the all-inclusive resort experience, I would guess you're not going to find one that doesn't allow children. You'll be staying at the four seasons or the ritz-carlton or something. Personally not my idea of a great honeymoon.

I would strongly recommend not staying on one island the whole time. You will need to fly between each island and the laid-back attitude of the Hawaiians, whilst making them incredibly friendly, did mean that it took us about 2 hours to get through check in and security when flying. Not ideal for a day trip!

It is an incredible place, and made for an amazing honeymoon for us, but unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to find your perfect honeymoon there. Unless you compromise on a few of your criteria. I think you would be better of looking at the Caribbean.

Associate
My mate got married in Maui and we spent a week there, some things we did:

Road to hana tour - takes a day, you can get guide CDs from the supermarkets/stores and follow them as you drive (assuming you hire a car and like classic single lane no lines driving)
Go to Lahaina - shops, restaurants and a massive Banyan tree which has a market/night entertainment around it some days

Road to Hana - get a map and easy enough to drive. Quite a few nice stops on the way. Great drive in a massive 4x4 when I went esp the hair raising blind bends.
Lahaina - really nice town - we ended up there quite a few times. nice shops and great restaurants. One out of this world Thai restaurant there.

Not Maui but Kauai I can recommend too, stayed here http://www.sheraton-kauai.com/ for our honeymoon and got married on the beach, wow 15 years ago this July. Absolutely stunning Island, so laid back and things to do was amazing. Id go back in a heart beat.

Kauai - small enough to get from one end to another in a few hours. South coast where Sheraton hotel is was really lovely. Again worth having a car to see this island - Waimea Canyon, Lighthouse on North Coast etc.

Soldato
Wife and I are hoping to honeymoon there (long overdue!) next year at some point. It's been delayed as when we were married, my wife went back to the states and I followed suit several months later. We got too many trips back to the EU this year to accommodate a 2/3 weeks break in Hawaii so that's why next year.

We're looking for a full 5 star resort for adults only, all inclusive, honey moon package sort of thing. Having never been to Hawaii, I'm not sure we'll be able to easily find what we're looking for. So, any suggestions?

http://www.unforgettablehoneymoons....luxury-maui-honeymoon-at-ritz-carlton-kapalua

This is something I am looking at, but the 'almost all inclusive' doesn't really sell it to me. It either is or not...

For what you are looking for I don't think you should be looking at Hawaii. Its an amazing place, but doesn't really do all-inclusive and the rare ones that do are for families and very expensive. For all inclusive I'd recommend either Mexico (Cancun, Riviera Maya or Cozumel) or the Maldives.

Man of Honour
St Regis Princeville on Kauai is pretty swish. All other usual suspects around too, just not at all cheap. Kauai is a small but beautiful island.

It's also not at all what you asked for, but this place on Big Island is great, unless the current eruption gets worse - https://www.volcanovillagelodge.com

Or go to Cancun for a much cheaper all-inclusive experience, big resort hotels etc etc etc.

Man of Honour
went for a few days a couple of years back - stayed at the hilton grand wailea which was very good but not what your looking for.

Depending on the time of year its well worth going out to see the wales (if they are around), drive up the volcano and swim with the turtles.... all were amazing!

Also worth visiting Coconuts fish tacos and have the fish tacos - amazing: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...ws-Coconut_s_Fish_Cafe-Kihei_Maui_Hawaii.html

Soldato
I've been to all islands (except Ni'ihau and Kaho'olawe) and you will not regret going to any of the islands. It's one of the most amazing places you can ever visit. If I could live there I would! Just don't stay in the resort the whole time, go half board at least so you can get out and about.

Back
Top Bottom