No Mans Sky - NEXT

Soldato
So sean murray has come out and given some details on the next no mans sky free update, whilst many here may hate the game i have gotten many hours out of it, considerably more than the likes of fallout 4.

The new update is likely to change the game drastically, finally being able to have the freedom to join random groups of players, interact with fight with, build with and socialize with.

If you gave up on the game or bought in to the tactical destruction of a small british game development studio overhyped by sony, then i would implore you to give it another chance.

(Released) Update 1 Foundation:
  • Home Planet
  • Base building
  • Alien recruitment
  • Teleportation to home planet
  • Freighter purchase (space base)

(Released) Update 2 Path finder:
  • Survival mode (perma-death)
  • Creative mode
  • Exocraft (buildible vechicles for traversing the landscape and harvesting rare materials)

(Released) Update 3 Atlas rises:
  • Share bases
  • 30 hour additional story
  • Portals for quick transport
  • Co-op test mode
(Announced 27/07/2018) Update 4 NEXT:
  • Full multiplayer experience

EDIT: all updates have included optimization and graphical improvements, more varied biomes and better ship control, you can now fly your ship close to the surface.

Soldato
OP
How anyone can believe a single word that comes out of that bloke's mouth is beyond me.

Well the majority of the "lies" had been made up by games media and was a product of sony massively overhyping a small inexperienced studio..

This is the list of lies:

• planetary physics (why? it wouldn't add anything to the game..)
  • ship classes with meaningful differentiation
  • faction reputation with meaningful gameplay impact
  • homogenous resource availability (don't even see the point in this one)
  • asteroid landings (again why? we destroy asteroids for resources)
  • space station and fleet destruction
  • large fleets
  • traveling freighters
  • large scale battles the player can join
  • in-atmosphere battles
  • NPCs outside trading posts and other docks
  • ringed planets (would be nice visually, and could be added in the future)
  • sand planets
  • flying between stars (as opposed to warping via the Galactic interface) (why? it would make no sense on this kind of game engine)
  • complex creature behaviour including environmental interaction
  • rivers
  • points of interest such as large structures and crashed freighters
  • hacking locked doors
  • radio chatter
  • interaction with other players

A lot of this has been implemented now, and many could yet still be implemented in time.. I've bolded the ones that are in the game right now, or as of the next update.

Man of Honour
Last time I played it still had that feeling of everything just coming to life around you just in time for you arriving like some kind of amusement ride and it killed the experience for me - especially when you take off from a planet and oh look coincidence a bunch of ships warp in right on your position. Everything just feels like cardboard cut outs :s

I just can't see a lot of these changes being enough to tip it over the edge for me.

Soldato
There are videos of him literally lying to people's faces, saying stuff was in the game but wasn't...

By contrast, when David Braben (Elite Dangerous) said something would be in game. It was in game.

Soldato
OP
Last time I played it still had that feeling of everything just coming to life around you just in time for you arriving like some kind of amusement ride and it killed the experience for me - especially when you take off from a planet and oh look coincidence a bunch of ships warp in right on your position. Everything just feels like cardboard cut outs :s

I just can't see a lot of these changes being enough to tip it over the edge for me.

I get that, although it has changed.. Pirates can now message you asking for safe passage or face conflict etc..

There are videos of him literally lying to people's faces, saying stuff was in the game but wasn't...

I don't believe him to be an outright lier, the game was in development for a long time and had huge set-backs such as this:

Capture.png

Associate
Because your pride was hurt?

The game has a tonne of potential still, if you don't want to play, dont.. but those of us who loved the game, but wanted more; now have the chance to play with friends.

People have convinced themselves that no amount of updates will amend past controversies.

I bought No Man's Sky at launch and loved every minute of it! The upcoming update is the icing on the cake for me. Feel free to add me on Steam.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's actually really good that they haven't abandoned the game and it looks like they have release some really good updates with more to come, unfortunately for me the core game mechanic of pointing a thing at a thing to mine and grind is just so mind numbingly boring it's amazing.
However I do find it quite amusing that those still holding a gripe about Murray's media skills are probably the same ones buying the Loot crate filled garbage being spat out of EA, Activision etc who all lie for a living.

Not defending what they did but looking at the games life cycle since the frenzy at release it looks like they have genuinley tried to improve upon what released, compare that to EA and BF2 which has been just abandoned 6 months after because they can't fill it with a slot machine mechanic.

Soldato
There was a huge, huge amount of hype all focussed on the launch date. When NMS arrived with a poor release and expected features missing, all that focus that was supposed to catapult the game skywards instead drove it's reputation (and that of Murray and his dev team) down into the ground. I don't think they or NMS can recover significantly. The brand is probably tarnished and toxic beyond retrieval.

Soldato
This announcement has stirred literally no feelings whatsoever.

Two years later and its still a running joke. Fair play to those who enjoyed it but 95% of us were let down.

How that bloke can actually step in front of a camera after he completely ignored both the media and every single player from launch day until the first patch months later is beyond me.

Man of Honour
unfortunately for me the core game mechanic of pointing a thing at a thing to mine and grind is just so mind numbingly boring it's amazing.

Games that rely on procedural generation too much are always like that :( bit annoying really as there was some cool stuff spread about but it was all so random and not really doing anything when a more condensed version of the game would have been so much better.

The moment when you first take off and then find the next system was great but that should have been a launching point instead that was when the game peaked and everything after that was repetitive at every level.

Associate
I got it a year ago when on sale and there had been some updates. It was ok and I got 300 hours out of it so well worth the money. I don't see how multiplayer will make it better though. Once you have your 6 ships, a base, space cruiser and a farm you're done. There is nothing left to do or work towards. There are no armies, monsters or bad guys to fight, just the same little patrolling sentinels which are easy to kill and weird animals. There is the odd dogfight you can do with pirates but there's no point engaging as the reward is worthless. Unless there's something more substantial coming with multiplayer then you'll just end up getting bored with the game along with someone else. Maybe this PVP element he hinted about will be good as long as it doesn't lead to griefing. People prefer co-op though. Brave of him to re-emerge although the interviewer didn't really ask him anything useful (if it was a real interview..). There's something odd about Sean's behaviour though and I doubt anyone believes anything he says now. He should have gotten someone else in the company to do the interview. You can already meet up with someone in game by exchanging location co-ordinates (even if they are only a point of light..) but you can communicate and share resources/farming. I will take a look at the changes when they come out as it seems to be free but I'm not exited about it.

Soldato
OP
I got it a year ago when on sale and there had been some updates. It was ok and I got 300 hours out of it so well worth the money. I don't see how multiplayer will make it better though. Once you have your 6 ships, a base, space cruiser and a farm you're done. There is nothing left to do or work towards. There are no armies, monsters or bad guys to fight, just the same little patrolling sentinels which are easy to kill and weird animals. There is the odd dogfight you can do with pirates but there's no point engaging as the reward is worthless. Unless there's something more substantial coming with multiplayer then you'll just end up getting bored with the game along with someone else. Maybe this PVP element he hinted about will be good as long as it doesn't lead to griefing. People prefer co-op though. Brave of him to re-emerge although the interviewer didn't really ask him anything useful (if it was a real interview..). There's something odd about Sean's behaviour though and I doubt anyone believes anything he says now. He should have gotten someone else in the company to do the interview. You can already meet up with someone in game by exchanging location co-ordinates (even if they are only a point of light..) but you can communicate and share resources/farming. I will take a look at the changes when they come out as it seems to be free but I'm not exited about it.

I imagine that when the trailer lands for Next, it will have some other significant updates.. I guess the "reveal" is just to let us know multiplayer is coming and get some hype up.

Back
Top Bottom