mx5, mr2 or mgf

Soldato
seeing as i'm kind of undecided on this figured i'd do the sensible thing and get the judgement of random internet strangers to see if it shifts me.

basically, i'm looking to swap my 325i auto for a "proper" sports car for some general back road fun, so 2 seater with good handling is the goal.

thing is, my budget is only what the bm is worth, so we're talking about 2.5k to dabble with which sadly in northern ireland doesn't stretch so far.

so i've found 3 potential candidates:

1. an mgf, specifically one in a horrible baby blue colour with ~80k on the clock, plus points is the one i've looked at has an immaculate fabric roof (looks like it's been re-skinned recently) a nice exhaust and sounds like thor and odin having a farting contest. downside is it's an mg, and some plonker has put some stupid bonnet pins on it which'll need removing, and it has the mushiest gear change i've ever experienced in a car, and i never thought i'd say i'd found worse than peugeot.

however it's cheap, £1500, and comes with a custom plate which could hopefully be flipped for a few bob to someone who cares enough about that sort of thing to want one.

2. an mr2, in black with 130k on the clock. plus points is it's in fantastic condition for the age/milage, and comes with a removable hard top which will be handy for winter. price wise it's equivalent to the mgf but i feel like i'd have a bit more faith in it continuing to work with minimal interferance.

3. an mx5, with 58k on the clock. which tbh would be my go to pick, except this specific example the roof isn't the greatest, and the idle seems to be way to low (like 500rpm unless you leave it long enough to stall), it's slightly over budget at 3k but man that gear shift is incredible, plus it's an mx5 and you can't argue with that.

so, thoughts? apart from they're all **** heaps that i shouldn't even be thinking about given i have an immaculate 325 at the minute.

these aren't going to be daily cars, i have the grand vitara for that, so any practicality is irrelevant.

so far i'm leaning towards the mr2, which i didn't think would happen, although i'm trying to keep an open mind so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm on my 3rd MX5. Current one is a mk2.5.

Thoughts:
- The MGF is cheaper for a good reason, i.e. their notoriety for unreliability. If you're handy with a bunch of spanners, then maybe
- The MR2 is supposedly a better drive than an MX5. However, whilst the MX5 has a smaller boot, the MR2 simply doesn't have one, making even shopping a real chore. On top of that, I personally hate the looks of them.
- MX5, as mentioned I'm biased. Do be careful on what you buy. I looked at what appeared to be a "good un" from the description and phone call. That one was an utter rust-bucket.
The mk2 is even worse for rust than the mk1 and if anything is going to kill a mk2, it'll be rust. Do your research so you know what to look for. Assume that it will need to have it's rear sills done. They're also very bad on the front chassis rails. On a more positive note, the mechanicals are VERY reliable, and there are groups out there who can deal with the rust issues. I'm taking mine to "MX5 Restorers" in Eastbourne next month for a good check over. They can replace the chassis rails and the details are on the websites.
Typical prices for mk2s in good condition is circa £2-2.5. Mine was £2k, but then needed two new brake calipers as they'd cleared jammed up due to lack of use by the previous owner.
Be careful of spec and again do your research. If you want an LSD, they were only on the Sport, and three of the (12ish) special editions.

On a more positive note. I love driving mine. It's going to be used as primarily a commuter, with fun drives in as well. As it's not the usual shopping trolley, it makes even my 15 mile jaunt an enjoyable experience, as against something to be best smothered in dullness.
It's not fast, but feels it. Mine has heated leather, LSD etc and unless it's raining, the roof comes down. Cold weather? That's what the heated seats and heater are for.

I also believe that they're currently increasing in price (if slowly). So mix in a total lack of depreciation, good reliability, and "ok" fuel economy and it's also a cheap motor to live with.

Soldato
OP
yeah, the mgf has the k series engine and it's accompanying head gasket failure potential which worries me, i'm handy enough with a spanner but i don't really have the facilities to do any proper heavy maintenance.

i'm not really worried about the mr2's lack of boot space given this is purely a fun car, any shopping loads will be the job of the grand vitara. i was the same on the looks although in the flesh it's not that bad, and the driving position/visibility seemed better than the mx5 to me.

the mx5 would be my go to, i found a dream buy at a local dealer which started this whole business off, an immaculate '99 with 50k and not even a hint of rust with the full old man jag spec (british racing green with cream leather interios and wooden wheel/gearknob/handbrake), but some bugger bought it on me before i had to chance to have a proper look.

not worried about fast, it's all about feeling fast. the problem with the bm is opening it up properly would end in some penalty points quicker than you could say third gear. same goes for fuel economy.

Soldato
OP
If you are set on a mk2 then don't get the na otherwise you would be always wanting the turbo.Lovely cars and easily able to up the power if needed.

can't say i'm massively set on anything in particular, but i'll bear that in mind if i see a turbo come up.

well, tell a lie, what i really want is a 3.0 z4 with folding hard top, but then reality has this terrible habit of getting in the way lol.

Soldato
MGF gearchange is an easy fix and the parts are readily available. K-Series can be ok if the head gasket has been renewed by someone who knows what they are doing. However, I found the scuttle shake to be a no go for me.

Out of the 3 you have listed I would find a better MX5.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
If the mk3 MR2 is a post 2003 facelift model, then I would go for that. They fixed the engine issues from the earlier models and have a 6 speed gearbox with LSD standard. They handle amazingly well and don't rust apart from the rear subframe which is a bolt off part that can be easily fixed. I have owned a sorted 1.8iS mx5 with torsen LSD, meisterR coilovers, fast road geo setup and don't really see what the fuss is about, a mk3 MR2 is miles more fun straight out the box. I have also owned a mk2 MR2 and these aren't really comparable, more of a GT than a sports car.

Soldato
Nor would you really want one now, outside of the best kept examples you're just getting yourself into a world of chasing bodywork and minor niggles.

I much prefer the MK3 MR2 to the mx5 - there is actually a boot space of sorts but it's at the front and tiny (albeit you can also remove the spare), plus cubby holes behind the seats. Engine wise as above needs to be a facelift car really unless it's been swapped out.

What might change my mind to the mx5 though is whether you plan to do anything to it power wise. Both cars are ultimately pretty gutless - especially for a weekend car and you'll have more in the way of options with the Mazda. There are turbo / supercharged and replacement engine options for the Toyota too but there are less of them around and even fewer people modifying now meaning support for doing it a bit more limited. That said if you can find a 2zz engined car (realistically the most reliable upgrade) then I'd jump on it.

The MG's are also pretty good little cars in 160 form but I've always dismissed them for then HG issues - it would need to be dirt cheap (I.e nowhere near even the £1.5k)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd go for the MX5, but look around and wait for a good one to come along. If you're handy with spanners, the amount of spare parts (and knowledge/forums) makes it relatively cheap to keep on the road - the main big problem being rust.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
To be fair, at least the K series in the MGF despite its flaws has some character, there is a reason Caterhams and s1 Elises use them. The MX5 despite its capable chassis, has such a dull and uninspiring coarse sounding engine. It lacks low end grunt yet doesn't rev out nicely either, completely unremarkable.

Just feel like I need to add some balance to everyone telling you to get an MX5, I bought one 4 years ago and was completely underwhelmed!

Soldato
To be fair, at least the K series in the MGF despite its flaws has some character, there is a reason Caterhams and s1 Elises use them. The MX5 despite its capable chassis, has such a dull and uninspiring coarse sounding engine. It lacks low end grunt yet doesn't rev out nicely either, completely unremarkable.

I can see that, although the later VVT engines are a little better in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom