BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Any E53 (mk1) X5 owners here? Looking at one for the other half as a cheap comfy workhorse with a bit of power but not if it costs as much to run as the E65

Caporegime
I’ve got a few and they all do the same. So random non detection which a replug fixes but the screen never ever goes back to exactly where it was, ie the view showing track info and cover art. Bloody annoying even though a press of the idrive controller gets me to where it was.

How very strange. From the track info thing it sounds like software I guess.

Soldato
I got bored and wanted something new to fiddle with - so I relieved a friend of his old E46 330d.

Has been to the moon and back with the rather temperamental 5L40 autobox - so first thing is changing a few solenoids and the filter.

£650, has HK and cruise etc (it’s a Sport, apparently, for whatever difference that makes) and generally feels pretty solid.
Runs and drives spot on... for now!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I got bored and wanted something new to fiddle with - so I relieved a friend of his old E46 330d.

Has been to the moon and back with the rather temperamental 5L40 autobox - so first thing is changing a few solenoids and the filter.

£650, has HK and cruise etc (it’s a Sport, apparently, for whatever difference that makes) and generally feels pretty solid.
Runs and drives spot on... for now!
£650 for a 330d :eek:

Caporegime
£650 for a 330d :eek:
If it’s crumbly and been to the moon & back it’s probably about right tbh, safe to say it was £650 for a reason...

Any E53 (mk1) X5 owners here? Looking at one for the other half as a cheap comfy workhorse with a bit of power but not if it costs as much to run as the E65
Buy a Volvo V70

Cheap (old ones at least) supremely comfortable and epic workhorses.

Pretty much the polar opposite of an e53.

Associate
£650 for a 330D is a steal whichever way you look at it, even if it does start throwing up a few bills it’ll probably still be cheap motoring!

Buy a Volvo V70

Cheap (old ones at least) supremely comfortable and epic workhorses.

Pretty much the polar opposite of an e53.

My thoughts exactly on a sensible choice... just that we both like X5s so much and they seem to tick most of the boxes

Requirements would be space for the dog, enough room for Ikea/other furniture moving, good comfort, plenty of power and 4wd for the snow would be nice. And no diesels if possible

But if they’re too costly to run then I don’t really want huge running costs on both that and the E65!

Soldato
For £650 even if it blows up next week I can break it for spares, and make my money back. It’s more of a gamble than anything, and now I have a trade policy I can insure ALL THE THINGS!

Underneath is surprisingly clean - I didn’t check when I bought it, but rolled around under it to check out the front arm bushes and a couple of other bits and pieces.

Front arm bushes are new (found an invoice for OE) and it’s also had a new (but rubbish brand) battery too.

Even the AC works, and it has the full widescreen nav too. Whatever goes wrong I’ll make my money back, especially as it has the later E46 rear lights which seem to sell for £££.

Edit: the arches are rusty as expected for an E46, the bonnet has been keyed and it’s generally quite tatty outside though.

Associate
I saw an S65 AMG on eBay a while back going ridiculously cheap but an MOT fail on rust... so tempting at the price but can you say money pit!!

I think the E46s are lovely cars especially for £650.

Had some fantastic cheap cars so I’m not afraid of them.. never had to deal with rust though (old Audi’s etc) otherwise I might be thinking differently!

GT3

GT3

Soldato

Does the E46 330d use the same auto box as the 330i? I have a 75k mile E46 330i with a perfect auto box that will soon be surplus to requirements as I have bought the car to put the engine in my 325ti.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
My first BMW. It's a 2013 428i M Sport. I'm really liking it, and pleased with the colour combination.

bmw-4_series-1.jpg

bmw-4_series-2.jpg

bmw-4_series-3.jpg
bmw-4_series-4.jpg
bmw-4_series-5.jpg
bmw-4_series-6.jpg
bmw-4_series-7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom