Kids in pubs..

Caporegime
Good boozers are becoming harder and harder to find; then again if you're drinking on the high street, what do you expect? These places are just glorified coffee / pseudo-restaurants these days. Been in to a Wetherspoons recently?

Decent boozer is easy to find. They tend to be double the price per pint of a cheap boozer though. Which is why most don't go to them.

I've never had issues with screaming kids in places where it's £12 for 2 pints and I'm in Scotland not London.

Go to somewhere where you can order 2 pints and get change from a fiver and guess what it's full of people you would rather not be around

Soldato
We didn't really go out for the first year when my lad was born.

We started going out more and more. He is fairly well behaved. But he can be a handful. We'll go to the pub, we'll go for an earlier sitting at a restaurant.

He is never wild, but he has been a challenge at times.

The thing is, being a parent it tough. And even if you are a parent and know from your experiences what it can be like, you don't know what they're going though as parents.

Personally as long as the parents look like they are trying their best to keep their children occupied and trying to keep the distubance down then I have no problem.

It's life.

A few weeks a go I entertained a small kid at the restaurant for 10mins. The parents were so grateful to eat their meal and have her entertained whilst we coloured something in as she stood at our table.

Don't get me wrong. A screaming kid is hell. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Caporegime
We didn't really go out for the first year when my lad was born.

We started going out more and more. He is fairly well behaved. But he can be a handful. We'll go to the pub, we'll go for an earlier sitting at a restaurant.

He is never wild, but he has been a challenge at times.

The thing is, being a parent it tough. And even if you are a parent and know from your experiences what it can be like, you don't know what they're going though as parents.

Personally as long as the parents look like they are trying their best to keep their children occupied and trying to keep the distubance down then I have no problem.

It's life.

You've hit on it there. Trying. Most aren't like you and don't. That's the problem.

Associate
Very much it, I live next to a park and often there are kids in there screaming and being a general nuisance in there with parents either chatting amongst themselves or the most frustrating thing (probably showing my age here!) is parents stood playing with their phones.

Soldato
Decent boozer is easy to find. They tend to be double the price per pint of a cheap boozer though. Which is why most don't go to them.

I've never had issues with screaming kids in places where it's £12 for 2 pints and I'm in Scotland not London.

Go to somewhere where you can order 2 pints and get change from a fiver and guess what it's full of people you would rather not be around

This is why I almost only drink in my local Brewdog now, amazing beer and it's pricey enough to keep the riffraff away. Every time I go to my family's pub of choice it's horrendous with kids screaming and loud mouths.

Very much it, I live next to a park and often there are kids in there screaming and being a general nuisance in there with parents either chatting amongst themselves or the most frustrating thing (probably showing my age here!) is parents stood playing with their phones.

Kids playing in parks and making a noise is acceptable in my mind so long as it's not just screeching, I'm buying a house in August which is near a park and fingers crossed it's not too bad :o

Caporegime
Kids playing in parks and making a noise is acceptable in my mind so long as it's not just screeching, I'm buying a house in August which is near a park and fingers crossed it's not too bad :o

We've got a playground about 100m from us and the noise from it really isn't bad. What you tend to find is the kids there are accompanied by parents. A parent who has decided to actively spend time with their child. Normally this tends to mean said child is raised properly and is well behaved.

Both of my neighbours have kids and they play out and what not (one of them loves to sing at the top of his voice as he plays) and it's really not disturbing because again, the parents actually bother to play with them and spend time with them so it never goes beyond an acceptable limit.

What we have around the corner however is "The Whingey Brat". I cannot stand this kid. All he does is shout at the top of his voice, screech (like a wounded animal) and cry. He literally doesn't talk at a normal volume he just shouts at the top of his voice. However one observation of his parents made it perfectly clear why. Glued to their phones. The garden is full of climbing frames, swings etc. but they never play with him on them. His behaviour is quite obviously an attempt to try and get attention from them.

I can't stand 'pubs' with kids in if i'm being completely honest. The parents are much worse in the sense that they use it as an excuse to go out and get some what bladdered

They're parents who don't want to accept the responsibility that being a parent entails. They think they can still act as they did before they had kids and that raising the kids is someone else's (normally grand-parents) responsibility. It's almost they like have kids because it's the done thing, they don't actually want to be parents they just want to have a child.
I worked with a guy whose wife was the epitome of this (the marriage broke up as a result). Basically she wanted kids. He wasn't really ready but went ahead to keep her happy. They had 2 kids spaced 2 years apart and from the outside they looked like a picture perfect family. After maternity leave she went back to work because she missed 'the social aspect' despite it costing them more in a month for childcare than she was earning. By the time she travelled to and from work she was literally seeing the kids for an hour per day. She still went out every weekend because 'I deserve a social life, I work hard and earn my own money'. Which meant she was then invariably hung-over for at least one day of the weekend and out the previous night. As soon as the kids came along he gave that aspect of his life up apart from the very occasional night out.
He worked out that in a week she was seeing her kids for less than 2 days. The kids she 'wanted'.
She still goes on like that now that the custody is split and the kids stay with her parents most nights. He has them all weekend and can't spend enough time with them. Sadly he spends most of the weekend undoing what the grandparents have done as they simply will not discipline the kids who are now, by his own admission, spoiled brats.
She seems to think that spamming facebook and twitter with pictures of her 'angels' makes her the perfect mum.

Associate
Taking children screaming and running around in the pub however is something the staff need to manage.
My view is the parent should be dealing with the child, not the staff of the establishment they are visiting, parents thinking that they can just let their little darlings off the leash and wherever they are visiting will look after the kids, or to hell with the parenting all together and just leave the kids spoil things for everyone else, its all sorts of wrong in my view.

Its probably a generational thing, not enough discipline these days imo, you dare not smack your child these days, where as when i was growing up a smack across the top of my legs when i was naughty tough me not to act up or misbehave, something which is missing these days hence all these screaming uncontrolled brats everywhere, trains, planes, shops, etc....

Soldato
It's the same when you go in a shop and there are screaming kids. If you can't control your kids then GTFO.

Might be your little darlings but one else wants to hear them.

Soldato
Kids can go into a pub with their parents if the pub serves food and not within a certain distance of the bar. I believe licensing also calls that the adult responsible for the kid is not intoxicated either.

I really don't see the issue. Around me, pubs that have nice outdoor areas tend to cater for families with seating well away from the bar, or outside, clearly for families to sit and eat and have one or two drinks with their meal while the bar area is for those who want to just stand there and neck pints and shots. The other pubs are clearly just drinking holes that children legally cannot go into because they don't serve hot food, only bar snacks etc.

I think people need to learn to differentiate between family/food pubs and drinking pubs and if there aren't enough of the one you want in your area then you probably need to move, it's a good mix where I am. When you have kids of your own you'll be hugely thankful to have the relaxed sort of environment a family/food pub provides for going out with family and friends, or do those with kids not deserve to leave the house simply because they have decided to carry on the human race?

Caporegime
Best time to go is evenings to places to eat. Rarely find kids late weekday evenings.

Cinema is the worst if the kids aren't behaved.

But yeah I just try to avoid the situation.
Especially if it's an occasion

I rarely go drinking or eating out so I don't really see it.

Kids playing in a park is fine. Good to get them outside. Disappointing how few kids were out in last snow we had.

Back
Top Bottom