Golf Thread

Associate
Finally treated myself to new irons/wedges, its been a long time coming as I've been playing with my original 2nd hand set for the past 5 years (Nike Sumo SQ 4-SW rack set)

Ive gone with Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW, Mizuno CLK 4 Hybrid and Mizuno S18 Wedges in a 50, 54 and 58. Obviously all custom fit which I hope is going to make the biggest difference to my game, 1/2inch longer stiff AMT 120g shafts, 2 degrees toe up.

Bag is now;

Callaway XR Pro Driver 9 degrees
Taylormade burner 3 wood 15 degrees
Mizuno JPX 850 Hybrid 19 degrees
Mizuno CLK 4 Hybrid dialed back to 24 degrees
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW 27 degrees to 46 degrees
Mizuno S18 Wedges 50, 54 58
Taylormade Daytona Ghost putter

Pretty much sorted now, I may update the 3 wood at some point in the future but for now it fits in quite nicely and I hit it well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great stuff, new shineys always perk the game up for a while. :)
Tempted to change my TaylorMade MC TP's but love my satin KBS C tapers too much so it will take something special to make me give them up.

Currently got:
2016 TM M2 Hzrdus Yellow Stiff
TM R11s TP 5w Rip Phenom Stiff
Callaway X12 1 iron stiff
TaylorMade MC TP 3-9i KBS Stiff C taper
Mizuno T7 46 deg wedge
Taylormade 52 deg wedge
Cleveland 56 deg sandwedge
Odyssey White Ice 2 ball putter

Man of Honour
all my clubs appart from my putter are probably worthless now as they are around 20 years old,
Callaway hawk eye titainium driver
Callaway big berther 3 wood
Callaway x12 irons (firm graphite shafts)
Cleveland copper 60 degree wedge
Scotty Cameron Newport tel3 putter

Associate
This seasons clubs. (subject to fitting session in July)
2017 TM M1 460 Hzrdus Red 62g Stiff
2016 TM M2 3 Wood Aldila Tour Green 75g Stiff
2016 TM M2 4 Hybrid Fuji Speeder Tour 90g Stiff
TM PSi 4-PW KBS 90 Stiff (4d upright 1/2" longer)
Titleist Vokey Wedges 48 F grind (bent to 49) 54 F grind 58 K grind (1/2" longer)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 34" 15g Weights

Although in the last year I've had extensive coaching and my coach wants to take me to www.golfprinciples.co.uk to see his friend for a full professional fitting which I am massively exited for!

Soldato
This seasons clubs. (subject to fitting session in July)
2017 TM M1 460 Hzrdus Red 62g Stiff
2016 TM M2 3 Wood Aldila Tour Green 75g Stiff
2016 TM M2 4 Hybrid Fuji Speeder Tour 90g Stiff
TM PSi 4-PW KBS 90 Stiff (4d upright 1/2" longer)
Titleist Vokey Wedges 48 F grind (bent to 49) 54 F grind 58 K grind (1/2" longer)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 34" 15g Weights

Although in the last year I've had extensive coaching and my coach wants to take me to www.golfprinciples.co.uk to see his friend for a full professional fitting which I am massively exited for!

4 degrees upright! How tall are you?

Soldato
I didn't know TM even did irons 4° upright, I thought it was only Ping who went that far. I'm guessing it's probably a combo of being tall and being toe down on the lie board when fitted. I'm only 5ft11 and I have irons fitted to 2° upright because I have quite high hands at impact.

Associate
Thankfully stopped at 6'5, apparently 4 up is their limit. I have the combination of being tall and having short arms (my coach calls me a t-rex).

Associate
General question; can you go for an iron fitting, without having to buy a brand new set of clubs at the end of it? Obviously happy to pay for the fitting itself - I've been playing golf on/ off for most of my life but purely from a casual standpoint, never had a handicap or played in any comps etc.

I would really like to know how I am striking the ball with my current irons, and if I could use a shorter shaft/ different lie angle etc.

Soldato
Right. I used to play very regularly around 15 years ago. Then I became a full on teenager, quit, and spent all my free time on my computer.

Recently, I rediscovered my clubs in a dark corner of the garage loft at my parent's house and over the past few weeks I've been going to the driving range again, prompted by a few mates taking up the game earlier this year.

To summarise, it has been frustrating. I may be looking back through somewhat rose tinted glasses, but I believe that a 13 year old me would beat this 28 year old by a good 20 shots if we were to meet on a course. I'd forgotten how hard the game can be, just to hit a ball cleanly off a driving range mat!

I popped to the range last night to hit 50 balls (I had time constraints) and I'd say only 10% of the shots would be passable on a golf course. The rest were shanked, sliced or topped. So disheartening.

So, 15 years later we now have this thing called YouTube providing a wealth of information on anything. I've probably watched 50 golf related videos over the past few weeks. And wow, how things have changed! I mean, you can now adjust weights on your driver? You can adjust the loft!? And Top Flite no longer seem to be a golfing brand!?

From these videos I've deduced that I have too much weight on my toes and that I'm swinging down, over the top of the ball, shifting the club head forward, making the shank a possibility an also increasing the likelihood of topping the ball. I've seen several drills I can do to help mitigate this, but progress is slow.

I think the most frustrating thing is that my friends have literally decided "Right, lets play some golf", gone out, bought an entry level full set of clubs (yes, maybe their swings are not the best) but they're nailing the ball straighter and further more consistently than me!

Soldato
General question; can you go for an iron fitting, without having to buy a brand new set of clubs at the end of it? Obviously happy to pay for the fitting itself - I've been playing golf on/ off for most of my life but purely from a casual standpoint, never had a handicap or played in any comps etc.

I would really like to know how I am striking the ball with my current irons, and if I could use a shorter shaft/ different lie angle etc.
Certainly, most companies will charge 20-40 quid for a fitting then refund it if you go on to buy the clubs so there is no real pressure that you MUST buy there and then. I would be honest with the pro though.

Associate
Certainly, most companies will charge 20-40 quid for a fitting then refund it if you go on to buy the clubs so there is no real pressure that you MUST buy there and then. I would be honest with the pro though.
Thanks, I thought that might as much be the case - just need to find a 'decent' local fitter now; assume it's better to go with a 'smaller' reputable pro than one of the big shops like AG?

Soldato
Thanks, I thought that might as much be the case - just need to find a 'decent' local fitter now; assume it's better to go with a 'smaller' reputable pro than one of the big shops like AG?
Yea I guess depending on where you go, some will have affiliations with certain brands so someone independent wont be filling your head full of marketing horlicks.

Soldato
Played 9 holes on Wednesday night with 3 guys from work. First time I've played for probably 5, if not 8 or more years.

I think I finished on 80. Some utterly woeful shots but some promise to want another round. Bagged a 4 on par 3 which was very, very pleasing.

Soldato
Played 9 holes on Wednesday night with 3 guys from work. First time I've played for probably 5, if not 8 or more years.

I think I finished on 80. Some utterly woeful shots but some promise to want another round. Bagged a 4 on par 3 which was very, very pleasing.

Did you have any practice beforehand? Or jumped right in?

Associate
Decided to try out a few irons last week and settled on the mizuno mp18 sc's. Fancied a change from my srixon z545's which have served me pretty well. Should hopefully be with me this weekend. Bag now set to:

Ping G400 - Tour regular 65
Ping G 5 wood - Alta stiff
Taylormade M4 #3 hybrid 19deg - Atmos Red stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 #4 hybrid @ 23deg - Fujikura Pro stiff
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4 (1/2" long and 2deg up)
Cleveland RTX-3 54 & 58deg FG
Evnroll ER5

Been working hard to address a 2 way miss from last year and so far (touch wood) I've been hitting more GIR.

Soldato
all my clubs appart from my putter are probably worthless now as they are around 20 years old,
Callaway hawk eye titainium driver
Callaway big berther 3 wood
Callaway x12 irons (firm graphite shafts)
Cleveland copper 60 degree wedge
Scotty Cameron Newport tel3 putter
My clubs I've just started playing with again are probably 25 years old.
Big Bertha Warbird driver
Wilson 3 and 5 wood
Lynx Parallax 3-SW irons
Ping Zing putter.

I can still hit the irons great, but probably every 6 or so shots at the range is a slight mishit.

I really need custom fit clubs if I get new ones as at 6'2" I know my standard length irons are too short.

Back
Top Bottom