Cooker hoods

Soldato
I am in the final stages of looking at appliances for my new kitchen and I find myself looking for a cooker hood that will be both a feature of the kitchen (being the sole occupant of the back wall) but also have the performance to match the looks.

So far my eye has been caught with the Smeg Opera and the Britannia Latour and both have their plus points. They are quite industrial looking (that’s the style of the kitchen) and come in at 90cm (with the option for 100) plus they ought to clear the air pretty rapidly when used with a 150mm duct to outside.

Aside from those two, any options I might be missing? Has to be at least 90cm wide, vent outside and look striking.

Soldato
OP
It's going against the wall, above a 90cm wide induction hob. Needs to be something striking, but efficient.

Budget... well, put it this way. I was ready to drop £900+ on the Britannia until I saw the Smeg.

PS. Nothing from the Siemens range leaps out at me; I'm not a fan of the box hood style or the angled plate.

Soldato
That Smeg doesn't look too bad.

Have you looked at the Luxair hoods?
https://www.luxairhoods.com/cooker-hoods/90cm-cooker-hoods
https://www.luxairhoods.com/cooker-hoods/90cm-cooker-hoods/90cm-slim-cooker-hoods-black

You can either get a cheaper wall hood or go for something fancy like their 'Linea Slimline' (silver or Black). Good spec on the extraction rate vs noise and high quality hoods.

They also have 10% off atm bringing the linea down to under £600, but do regularly put out 20% off vouchers also (on their site).

Soldato
OP
I have, but discounted them as I thought they were a bit naff - a friend has one of their Chimney Hoods and its very cheaply made. But then I guess you aren't talking silly money either, so horses for courses.

I'm looking for more of a classic look than something like this and the Luxair just don't have the spec I'm after. Okay if you like the fancier designs, but not for me.

Associate
I have a Luxair cooker hood and to be honest it is wounderful, works really well and when i dealt with the sales office they really know there stuff, i have yet to find a better kitchen extractor fan company for sure, we have just installed two new luxair hobs in our rented flats and they are aslo the very best quality we could find that actually makes there own brand, great company to deal with for sure.
induction-Hob-With-Built-In-Extractor-Fan

www.luxairhoods.com

Soldato
OP
Faber and Elica make very *ahem* striking hoods. Very personal choice but both good companies to deal with and we sell a lot of them
I love the aesthetics of the Faber hoods, but there is one problem - like most of the 'fancy' hoods out there, the images are taken when set-up in recycling mode, not extraction.

So you have something like this, which is rather gorgeous in person and the right width:

6DlccNI.jpg

And then you have to add a duct...

DMcljPK.jpg

For me, that's a huge issue - if I'm going to have a duct/chimney, I want something that looks like it is made for the hood, not bolted on as an afterthought!

Soldato
OP
I think the Elica Dolce might be winning for me. The price isn't actually looking too bad either.
I wanted the Dolce but the chimney is way too large - installed as-is the bottom of the hood will be below my chin.

Based on the technical drawings it might be possible to trim it down... but as it looks like one piece of metal from top to bottom, I think that might end in disaster.

Soldato
OP
It might not be something that everyone will take into account, but it is crucial for me - I have zero intention of stooping to get my head under the hood or banging my head on it when I cook.

Using some creative rounding and assuming a standard ceiling height is 2400mm and with me standing in at 1830mm, I will be left with 570mm to play with. And some of these hoods need 800mm of space... which is pretty much chin height for me!

Soldato
OP
Anyone up for a challenge? I've found what might be the ideal hood... but I have no idea who makes it. Here's what it looks like:

cIn1e0T.jpg

I've contacted some of the companies involved in the supply of materials to that kitchen, but none are able to tell me where the hood comes from or even what brand it is. I can't see a logo on the product itself, RIS on Google doesn't do much and a trawl of the usual places to buy hoods reveals nothing.

One important point - while it might look like a standard box chimney hood, but there's one big difference - the bottom section is thicc. Most box chimneys top out at 60mm for that bottom section, where that looks more like 100mm.

My eternal thanks to anyone who can help me find that hood or something like it.

Soldato
OP
Found something very close - the Bertazzoni Master flat:

4O9TbL0.jpg

At 120mm high, that seems adequately chunky for my kitchen. I'll just need to find someone to laser cut the chimney section so I can mount it higher than it affords as standard.

Soldato
I knocked through the kitchen/diner and installed a peninsula worktop/units dividing the two rooms with the hob. All the island extractors hung down, which seemed to really enclose the open plan idea. I went for a ceiling hood from Silverline as they seemed to be the best balance of price to what I was after. Expensive, but worth the couple of hundred extra for the look I was after. So far so good.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Silverline-Cooker-Hoods

They do a few chimney styles too - maybe worth a look.

Associate
Siemens extractors are fantastic as long as you go iq500 or above. Most important factor is to use the largest diameter pipe you can and to not use any of the cheap tat a shop will sell you which would barely be suitable for a tumble dryer, secondly make sure there are a minimum amount of bends and turns!
The Siemens i last had was powerful enough to extract enough air, it closed the kitchen door with ease.

Could the picture be a gaggenau ?

Back
Top Bottom