Flat earth brigade - I have no words

Caporegime
Is it as crazy as those who blindly believe every thing they are told by "officials"?

people generally don't blindly believe *everything* they're told by officials... but knowledge of evolution and climate change hasn't come from "officials" it's come from scientists

and the moon landing would have been pretty much impossible to fake

Soldato
Different strokes for different folks and all that. My definition for "wall of text" would require thousands of words. If it fits on one 1920x1080 screen in a small font, it's not a wall of text to me. That would require a few screenfuls of text. Also from my point of view it's impossible for me to go too deep on anything because I don't know enough about anything to go too deep on it. I'm a superficial generalist when it comes to knowledge. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, just a tiny scratch on quite a lot of surfaces.

To me, a handful of words is rarely engaging. Amusing, possibly, but hardly ever engaging. It's just not enough text to have enough content to be interesting. It's too superficial even for my superficialness (is that a real word?).

I've been reading every bit of text I've seen for nearly 50 years now. I vaguely recall my mother teaching me to read when I was very young and what a wonder I thought it was. A form of magic, in a sense - someone else's thoughts to my mind through some lines, marks on a page with no intrinsic meaning. It's almost like scribing a magic scroll with a spell in runes. Or maybe I've read too much fantasy :) So it's not surprising that I find reading easier than many people do and thus have a higher limit for "too much text" - I've just had more practice at it. Most things are easier with more practice.

It does cause me problems at times, e.g. I once saw a woman with runes tattooed on her. I was studying them and trying to decide if they were Elder Futhark (Futhorc? I forget, so I'll look it up...it's Futhark). She thought I was staring at her boobs. That sort of thing can lead to misunderstandings. She probably wouldn't have been all that pleased if I'd told her the blunt truth - I thought her boobs were nothing special and her tattoos were far more interesting to me. It's like the famous film star who said to women he was doing sex scenes with "I apologise if I get an erection and I apologise if I don't". Either way could be taken badly.

You need to get out more matey, fresh air does more than swallowing a dictionary :)

Man of Honour
I passed this place in Inverness last week:

m9u1l5.jpg

2jfzv5i.jpg

oqc5kg.jpg

Associate
Funny how Flat Earthers are also Chemtrail / Geoengineering conspiracy theorists. Although I wonder how many Flat Earth youtube channels are actually trolling the flat earthers, while gaining monetization from youtube?

Soldato
Personally, I think it started out as an elaborate hoax and the group starting the hoax realised idiots actually lapped it up then just left it there for utter idiots to carry on.

Everyone loves to argue stuff and this gives idiots with no intelligence to play ignorant and argue anyway. I would however love to meet one, just so I can laugh in their face.

Associate
If planes are spraying a gas that keeps us all from knowing the truth, why are flat-earthers immune to its effects, and how have they established that they aren't the ones being duped? Duh, why am I even entertaining this nonsense??? :confused: :p

Back
Top Bottom