Repeat problems with new bike, advice?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the helpful info and links chaps, I will find out for certain which part has been fitted.
I have been riding to work on the big ring since it's slightly downhill for most of the way so can sustain decent speed even in my unfit state.

Soldato
OP
Had a reply from the shop:

"Hi Chris it’s a FC-M361 chainset, square taper - 48 / 38 / 28T - 175 mm in black, which will give you the same ratio as the original, I’ve checked with the disubtutor and it should be here tomorrow and fitted as well."

Couldn't have really asked for a more informative reply, I am coming round to thinking that they are overall a decent bunch of guys and I just had the monkey of the pack build the bike.

Soldato
I am coming round to thinking that they are overall a decent bunch of guys and I just had the monkey of the pack build the bike.
They're the same as every store - they want to sell bikes and them coming back with problems due to poorly skilled builders hits their bottom line. I dare say if the manager knows what's gone on, the guy doing the swap/change will be their most experienced/best builder and it'll be sorted so you're not returning again.

As you've probably guessed, the original builder cross threaded the pedal when putting it together, didn't notice/care (or have the experience to recognise it) and weakened the threads in the crankarm. When it went back they retapped the crankarm to get the pedal to fit properly, which worked but it was weakened so much previously that the threads have now stripped. The only real solution is to replace the whole crankarm. They obviously don't stock the exact replacement Suntour part so are fitting a compatible Shimano part.

I believe the rest of the Marasa drivechain is Shimano (9-speed?), some websites list the M361 as 7-8 speed but fundamentally it should be ok as 7-8-9 speed are generally compatible. CRC do list it as 9 speed, so might be different conflicting information floating around about it. Someone else may have some actual experience and better knowledge of course... @Saytan ? @Jonny ///M ? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
indeed that is whait shows here https://cyclesdeals.co.uk/hybrid-bikes/164-366-voodoo-marasa-hybrid-bike.html#product-details

maybe they have now done the work -
but reducing the big chain ring will have lost the top gear a bit 48->44 , had you used it much ? http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_meters_of_development
they might takes some links out of chain too since it would have some slack with reduced chain ring sizes
round to square would mean changing bottom bracket too.
they may need to move the front mech/changer down too.

I think I would ask for original spec / replace it.

Just to echo the comment on chain length - I'd make sure you can test all the gear combinations before leaving the shop (or at least riding close by).

Back
Top Bottom