Nice areas Manchester City centre?

Associate
Hello. Moving to Manchester in just over a month. Where is nice to live for a single working professional? Near or in the city centre.

Heard castlefield is nice, thanks in advance. :)

Soldato
You'll probably have to give people some idea of what you think nice is.

(Then they'll probably explain why you can't find that in Manchester :p )

Soldato
Knowing your budget and if you mind commuting would help
Spinningfields if you're loaded
Castlefield still expensive but cheaper or you could go across the river to Salford side and it gets even cheaper
Salford Quays if you don't mind cycling/ get a tram though it's still only 30-40min walk depending where in centre you'll be working. When it's nice weather like now it feels like being on holiday. Since BBC moved here, there're lot more bars and restaurants but our favorite place for drink is still Beefetear. You can sit outside and watch people doing water sports fall into water. :) It gets busy on match days when United are playing at home so need to add some time to travel or plan around it on those days.
Then you have Green Quarter, Ancoats and New Insligton north of the centre that are popular but I don't really know those areas.

Soldato
Ancoats is still Ancoats and on the border of some grim parts of town.

Some of Chorlton is nice, some of it is grim.

Didsbury is the only mainly nice part of Manchester.

Soldato
Green Quarter is nice although over the last few years crime has increased; car thefts and mopeds stealing mobile phones. It's still extremely low for the area, so don't let it put you off.

Salford Quays is lovely. Easy transport links and not too far away from the centre.

Ancoats is undergoing heavy redevelopment so it's a lot better than it was a few years back.

Chorlton is nice but can be hit and miss.

Didsbury is obviously nice but you pay a premium because of that.

Castlefield is nice and close to the centre.

Didsbury is the only mainly nice part of Manchester.

I disagree - there are plenty of nice areas in Manchester, just unfortunately spread out across the entire area.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's nice areas all over. Some lovely houses over in Urmston, Eccles has some nice areas, the Heatons are nice enough although a little further out. - edit, admit none of these are city centre but it's not a big town.

We're selling up in Chorlton to move outside the M60 :/

Soldato
I disagree - there are plenty of nice areas in Manchester, just unfortunately spread out across the entire area.

Other than the Merseybank bit near McDonalds, pretty much all of Didsbury is nice.

There is no other part of Manchester you can say that about.

Some parts of Chorlton are really nice but a large part isn't (Merseybank/Nell Lane Estate)

Obviously I am talking about Manchester here, not Trafford etc.

Associate
Personally (budget dependant) i would much rather live in Didsbury than the city centre. Easy access by car/tram/bus and just a much nicer lifestyle.

Watch out for creative estate agents when looking, rougher parts of Withington get “re-invented” as West Didsbury, similar with Burnage suddenly becoming East Didsbury.

You’ll find the same in the city centre with Ancoats flats labelled as Northern Quarter etc.

Back
Top Bottom